Author Topic: Flathead V-8  (Read 170792 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Flathead V-8
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
Thanks George, I think ours is the 26" version. Mine doesn't have the  VFD, it's belt adjustable,  I think Don has converted his. Really the belt adjustment is the only thing I've got to bitch about. I also use DROPROS DRO,the only fuss I have is on mine they mix cap and lower case letters and sometimes it is hard to read. Now how about those aluminum su r face grinder wheels?

E

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »
Hi Eric,
I didn't look at the numbers on the wheel when he ground it. I will give him a call and see what it is.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
I'm with Don, George.. Done and running well before 2016. :)

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2014, 05:26:45 AM »
Hi George, I will following along your build with big interest. As Mosey said, brilliant, instructive and amazing.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »
HEHEHEHE.....yup had a few situations where I needed the shovel too George.

This build is going to be awesome!     :popcorn:

Dave

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/mcandrew1894/media/tooling/2012-12-15_16-55-23_232.jpg.html
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2014, 05:37:40 PM »
Here's today's progress. All the holes in the bottom of the block were drilled and reamed as needed, pan bolt holes, main bearing cap holes and oil pump holes. The first step cut was made giving me a reference. I then made up a step-off chart for the sidewall which has a large curve that blends into the 45 degree surface. Using a .375 ball mill and following the chart I worked my way down to the 45 degrees surface. It doesn't seem like much but using the .375 ball mill was slow work. I really didn't want to use a larger one because ball mills really pound on the work, even when sharp.
I still have the far side of the block to do.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
Just a couple of pictures of the shop area while all this is going on. I normally a tidy person but it seems like when you get wrapped up in a project the tools just keep piling up. Usually when I get to a stopping point I vacuum everything up and put the bulk of the tools away so I don't have to search the bench looking for them.
gbritnell

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
Well that's a relief George. I thought I was the only one who layed tools around. Sometimes I spend 15 minutes looking for a tool I mislayed. I have a bad habit of placing a tool down and not remembering where I put it.  :headscratch: could it have something to do with age?  :old:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Tidy is always relative  :) To many your pictures would be tidy  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »
I finished stepping off the far side wall. This time rather than cut the whole thing with a .375 ball mill I made a step-off chart to use a .50 end mill. Boy did that speed things up. Next up was to start roughing out the crankcase cavities. I went in to where the 45 degree wall starts with a .375 ball mill to give myself a witness. This was followed up with a .50 ball mill staying .06 away from all the surfaces. Even at that it took most of the day to get them roughed out.
gbritnell

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 01:34:12 AM »
Wow George, that is a lot to get done over the weekend. Makes me feel like I am going backwards at times but your work is always inspiring to be sure.

Bill

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:36 AM »
George, That's beautiful work. Did you cut the main bearings with a ball end mill?                                                                                                                                            Thanks Gary,
"Effort equals Results"

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
I roughed the main journals with a ball mill. I made four steps leaving about .020 for boring later on. The caps will have hollow dowels to locate them. They will also be rouged out the same way. The final machining will be on the ends and at that time a rod will be inserted into the cam hole for indicating.
I didn't mention anything about putting the cam hole in. When the block was initially squared up (leaving stock for cleanup) I had set up my angle plate and indicated it true vertically and in the Y axis. The block was set up and clamped to the plate. The block at that time was 7.00 long so the smaller drills had to go from both ends. I first drilled with a .25 drill followed by a 31/64 drill. I then reamed through as far as I could get with a .50 reamer. When I finished going from both ends I found that the the axis that was against the angle plate was within .001 but in the Y direction it was out about .005 so I hand reamed from the deep side until it went all the way through the block. This allowed me to put a rod in and indicate it in both axis for the final drilling and reaming. I apparently had a chip or something under the one end when I put the initial holes through. Once the block was set up for the final drilling and reaming I first went in with a boring bar to give a nice straight pilot for the long 33/64 drill. The final reaming was done with a 17/32 (.531) spiral fluted reamer. The total length of the reamer was 8.00 long so I was able to chuck 1.00 of it and go through all in one step.
The final hole came out perfect albeit unparallel with the one side. A rod was then inserted so that it could be indicated to get the side parallel with the cam axis. Everything finished up within .0015 in the finished length of 6.80.
As anyone has found out, setup is 99.5% of the job. The last .5% is the metal removal.
gbritnell

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Hi George
I love the use of a ball mill between the bearings on the Block, NICE.  :praise2: :praise2:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:09 AM »
With step-off chart in hand I dove into the crankcase cavities with a .375 ball mill. At .04 per step x 18 steps x 4 cavities it sure took some time working to the numbers but that part of it is out of the way. While it is in this position I drilled the oil holes through the mains and into the main oil galley just above the cam hole.  I just have one more operation to do before flipping the block so I'll finish that up tomorrow.
gbritnell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal