Author Topic: Flathead V-8  (Read 170790 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Flathead V-8
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
Hi Mosey,
I don't know how far along I'll be with the flathead engine but I'm planning on bringing all the bits and pieces with me. I'm sure I'll have enough to keep me busy until then so I won't have to bench all the tool marks on the block or bellhousing. Using them I can explain how I go about setting up and doing the step-offs required to create a part. I will also have my I-pad with pictures which will help.
I look forward to seeing some of the east coast fellows that I haven't seen at NAMES.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
George,
That flathead will make my day! I intend to put your build into a booklet of instruction when you are finished, cutting out the comments from the peanut gallery, like "Wow, George"
Meeting you will be a high spot for me.
Mosey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Still following along, enjoying and learning  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2015, 09:57:29 PM »
George,
That flathead will make my day! I intend to put your build into a booklet of instruction when you are finished, cutting out the comments from the peanut gallery, like "Wow, George"
Meeting you will be a high spot for me.
Mosey

I concurr with Mosey.  I wasn't planning on going this year to C.F.  The purchase of the Rivett broke the bank; but once I saw that you were coming George, I'm finding away to make it.  You have always been a great source of inspiration to me.  Being a 5.0 guy i have always wanted to see your 302 as well as your other engines.

Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
I'm greatly looking forward to seeing you fellows. I will have quite a few of my I.C. engines plus the T-5 trans and 9" differential. I'll probably brings some of my miniatures also.
gbritnell

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2015, 11:20:03 PM »
George,
Your group of models is reason enough to make  the trip. I'm buying!
Mosey

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #231 on: March 06, 2015, 01:25:17 AM »
I finished the holding fixture so I can cut the counterweights and drill the oil passages. I have used the same aluminum plate that I started with. I just keep adding holes.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2015, 10:19:38 PM »
I set the fixture up on the mill and indicated it parallel to the X axis. I found the easiest way to true up the faces to be cut was to use an adjustable parallel set to the height of the two opposite throws. This would eliminate having to indicate every time I had to rotate the crank to cut another counterweight. I could only cut one side of the counterweights at a time because the closest cap would have to be removed for clearance.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
All of the counterweights were cut. I have a casting of a V-8 crankshaft that I'm using as a model to do the counterweights. Each set of throws has a different amount of material removed.
The sides of the webs near the throws also needed to be cut at 15 degrees so I tilted the mill head and finished those.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
All the milling is compete on the crank. All that's left to do is drill the oil holes but I'll have to set up the angle table to do that. The holes need to go in at 25 degrees and although my mill head will go over that far there is no provision to crank it, you just loosen the clamp bolts and rotate it. With the motor being up top I don't know how top heavy it is but I'm not going to try and find out.
gbritnell

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:30 PM »
George,  can we talk about the weather,  as there is nothing I can really add to the build, but, WOW. I think I might have said this once upon a time, but, this is like watching one of the old masters paint.  Uh how did you get Mona Lisa to sit like that,  that kinda good.

E

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2015, 12:23:39 AM »
It looks great George. May I ask how much time is involved making it? Just curious as to how much is involved. I am kind of confused when you first set up the crank in the lathe. You have an offset on the Tailstock but looks like your using the chuck to offset the head stock. Am I missing something your doing?

Don

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #237 on: March 07, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
Hi Don,
I made 2 blocks from aluminum. One for the chuck end and one for the tailstock. The headstock end goes in the 4 jaw chuck and is adjusted for the proper offset using a dial indicator. The stroke of the engine is 1.125 so the block was offset .562. The tailstock end was bored for a diameter on the end of the shaft. It also has a center drilled hole that is offset .562. When the crank piece is set in the headstock block and clamped on one of the 4 flats then the tailstock block is slipped on and it to is clamped to the matching flat. The live center is then inserted into the centerdrilled hole and adjusted with just enough pressure to hold it in place, so it doesn't distort the crank.
As far as time I probably have about 24 hours to date, that includes making the offset blocks and fixture plate. I will end up with about 30-32 hours when it's finished.
gbritnell

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2015, 01:11:26 AM »
Thanks George now I understand. I didn't realize that you had flats on bothe ends. That makes it much easier to change.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #239 on: March 07, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »
I am out of superlatives too George, but having a blast following along as always with your builds.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal