Author Topic: If You Are Willing  (Read 22402 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
If You Are Willing
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
I am a little pissed right now, so, y'all just bear with me. If anyone is thinking about a new machine purchase, think long and hard about Grizzly. I have reccomended their machines in the past, but, no more. If you are into rebuilding a brand new machine and are okay with waiting a week or two or more,  for the parts to do it with, then by all means, order up. They have been super courteous on the phone, yet, I still await parts to rebuild my brand new $6k surface grinder. I bought the SOB and didn't know I was going to have to learn how to troubleshoot and rebuild it. I'm used to minor adjustments and tightening of various nuts and bolts that Wong Fong Fooy left loose, but, this sh$t is piss poor. If anyone from the good old Grizzy home office is looking in: "Tighten Yo Ass Up". Yes, I'm on a rant, but, I just want all my pals here to know that they can provide a machine, but, if it don't work, get ready to learn how to rebuild it, they are more than happy to provide the parts to work with. Hell, even Sears could send a service tech out. If anyone here can pass this on to papa Grizz feel free too. We gotta little clout here, y'all help me out. :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: If You Are Willing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
I feel for you big E, it is one of those things that puts me off buying this, far too cheap, Eastern stuff  :-\.

The better of our suppliers do in country quality inspections of every item before they agree to buy it as the original manufacturers don't know the meaning. I know that the same better UK suppliers would have had one of their technicians out doing the work that you are being asked to do as it was their fault that they ever accepted the machine in the first place  :ShakeHead:

Do you not have a sales of goods act on your side of the pond? Clearly it is not fit for purpose and you should get a full refund.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
Eric,
FWIW I sent a link to this thread and an email to Grizzly.  I've bought 4 machines from them in the past so I'm what you call a "valued" customer.  Perhaps my fuel to the fire will help, but it probably can't hurt.

With your story and some others about their South Bend line the Grizzly name is getting bashed around a bit and it would be in their interest to tell their side of these stories.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »
Eric,
FWIW I sent a link to this thread and an email to Grizzly.  I've bought 4 machines from them in the past so I'm what you call a "valued" customer.  Perhaps my fuel to the fire will help, but it probably can't hurt.

With your story and some others about their South Bend line the Grizzly name is getting bashed around a bit and it would be in their interest to tell their side of these stories.

Cheers,
Phil

Amen to that!.....I'm a member over at Practical machinist also.    Stand up and take care of your customers Papa.

If a person spends $6K on a item....ANY item, they should get some service to go with it!....if you don't want to deal with field service, either make sure the stuff works from the factory, or ...run it off at your facility first!     $6K is no joke!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
You know Jo, I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend to have a pro represent you ( one reason our universities turn out 4-5 attorneys to one engineer) What is sad is that the machine is quite well built and should have had no problems maintaining a good level of accuracy, kinda like you producing a part to print and having Don1966 producing the same part, just make sure it works, no matter where you're at :facepalm:. I am able to purchase any grinder of this size that I could have wanted, cost not being a factor,  but, that's just throwing silly money away. If they are going to sell it, just make damn sure the thing works, I don't care if it's made in The land of Marv, out in Hollywierd.

E

I was ranting Phil, but, thanks. I keep telling them that I'm trying to be as nice as they are. I also have bought a mill, a lathe, the grinder, and a bunch of other stuff from them. I will give them one good note; they sure do know how to act good on the phone. Just thinking, had this of happened when Kim and Stan were looking to buy their lathes, what could I have done :shrug:

Dave I was still bitching, pass it on over there, I lurk there and have seen PapaGrizz respond

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »
Oh and Papa... you can tell me you don't want to do this....but don't tell me you can't do this.    Verifying quality of your product before it ships is YOUR responsibility, not your customers.

I've worked for Milacron, and Moore tool, I've designed more machines than this...it's doable....make it happen!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

fcheslop

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Sorry to see you are having problems with the new machine
Iv never had any luck with products from who flung dung land either machinery or catering machinery
Good luck and I hope the supplier comes up trumps

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
After getting my blood pressure up, they tell me that they THINK a new spindle assembly is being sent out overnight shipping, we will see.

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
Whiskey, I've been following along with your sad story and am so sorry you're having these problems.  I was thinking about that too - what if this'd happened when i bought my Griz?  So far, I've had a good experience with the lathe.  They even sent me a replacement for a part that broke as I was taking it out out of the crate.  They have been very good about that.

But if the problem was bigger, like what you're facing, it just seems too much - this is something they should have caught before the shipped it to you.  I hope they can make your machine work.  And quickly!  I would hate to see Grizzly sliding into having a bad name. (worse name?)  I was even looking at getting one of their mills someday.... Guess we'll see...

Best of luck to you Eric,  I'm pulling for you!
Kim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:06 AM »
Yo Eric,

What a right royal pain in the posterior.............I feel your pain! We have a company herein Oz who are, to all intents and purposes, Grizzlies equivalent. I hope they are reading this sorry tale. In fact all in country distributors need to realise there is more to it than shipping these items in.............slapping on a pretty hefty margin............then shipping it out to the unsuspecting customer. The margins they slap on, ( in Oz at least), more than justify some after sales service under warranty.

As for the polite and courteous responses...............Bullsh$t is Bullsh$t even when spoken with an erudite Oxford accent!

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:30:58 AM »
Bob,

I sent an email on Eric's behalf to Grizzly.

I expect that they will make it right.   They had better.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
Bob,

I sent an email on Eric's behalf to Grizzly.

Dave

Good one Dave  :ThumbsUp:

Not much can be done from this side of the pond but the efforts of my US colleagues and friends have not gone unnoticed and hopefully will bear fruit internationally.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »
Wot Bob sed! We pack no clout with 'em from this far away but are with you in spirit buddy. Just let me know if you want a couple of gents in dark suits to pay 'em a visit!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline FLG

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 03:15:59 AM »
Thank for sharing your experience with Grizzly. I'm very sorry for your situation, customer service or replacement parts can't wash out the frustration (also you have to replace the pieces and assemblies yourself, not even a tech).

Although something good can be saved for this bad situation, people that are looking to buy new machinery will be more aware now about Grizzly machine quality, and how they respond in case of trouble.

I hope that all get good for you and your surface grinder, the best of luck!

Saludos

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
I figured that, if I sent an email to Grizzly, Mr. Balolia,  the president would never see it.
For the first time in don't know how long, I sent an actual letter to him at the mother ship in WA.
Had to look around to find an envelope and stamps, but it's sitting in the mailbox waiting to be picked up tomorrow.
Stay tuned.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal