Author Topic: Engine Test Bench  (Read 7414 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Engine Test Bench
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Deal Marv...but a pretty safe on I would say too :)

Bill

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
Something I think would be useful on a test bench would be a tachometer and a DC generator with variable pulleys and an adjustable resistance load so you can do dynamometer testing to see how she runs under various load conditions and RPMs. You could also add a lamp on an adjustable arm, and also a camera mount, so you can take good pictures and video.  8)

Maybe instead of a resitive load and just generating heat (unless you are in a cold workshop and it may be welcome), you could rig up a battery charger and at least recoup some of the energy. You might even be able to get an Energy Star rating for your gasoline powered battery charger. One was awarded for a gas powered alarm clock!  :lolb:

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:20 AM »
IIRC, Bill had his students' engines on some type of test bench
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »
 You are correct Stan, but it was a different bench and will require some improvements before next year. Paul, those are also nice ideas. Maybe someone will take the plans and improve on them. Meanwhile, I like the clamp idea and have ordered some of the knife edge inserts Marv suggested along with some thumb screws. I will make the clamps myself. More on that to follow.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 01:10:29 AM »
Brief update on this mod to the test bench. The inserts worked well and anchor very securely. The only problem was that the oak veneer on the plywood top is so thin...maybe like 1/64" that it still wanted to splinter some even using tape. A little putty helped but looked bad I though so I cut out some .009" brass washers and epoxied them over the inserts then polished them and added a couple of coats of brushed on gloss urethane. The last photo shows the little radial 5 being held down by one clamp which I made. The spacer at the back of the clamp should have been the exact same height as the engine base, but I had added some felt pads to the bottom of the engine base so needed a makeshift shim to keep the clamp level of pointed down just slightly to the base. All in all its functional but could have been executed better. I'll live with it for a while and make additional changes later if needed.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
I like it Bill, maybe a clamp from Delrin or something coated with felt so it doesn't scratch your fine work. Not being critical mind you just suggesting buddy.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 01:55:03 AM »
I don't disagree Don, just didn't have any delrin or UHMW handy to try. Would be much easier to machine them too...something like an "L" shape with the toe clamp and riser made as one piece. I will give that a try too just wanted to have something to take with me to the beach the end of this week and had to use what was handy :)

Bill

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
I'm pleased to hear that the thread inserts worked and that I won't have to be paying for any repairs.

If you have some plastic tubing you could make clamps like the ones shown in this photo...

No spacer block required and they self-adjust to a variety of heights.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »
Thanks Marv, I like that idea and will give it a try. As Don noted already, plastic will be easier on the wood finish too.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal