Author Topic: Engine Test Bench  (Read 7441 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Engine Test Bench
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »
Don had asked about the engine test bench the little radial was sitting on over on the build log. I have attached a few pictures below. There are plans for this along with a bill of materials for the purchased components and brass fittings, etc.  On mine, the sides are 3/4 thick solid oak (yeah I know, I am in a rut with oak) and the bottom, top, and angled piece where the gage is are oak veneer plywood, all of which I got at the local big box store. I will need to convert the plans to .pdf format but will do so and post them in the morning if anyone is interested.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Engine Test Bench
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
Bill I love it. Perfect setup for running in an engine. I'll be looking for the plans. Thanks buddy.

Don

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:36:10 AM »
Looks pretty interesting to me Bill. Nice work (as per your usual)  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Arbalest

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
That looks really nice!  :ThumbsUp: Must say though I may have been tempted to put some extra dials and switches on it for effect!  :thinking:  :ROFL:

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
Nice work there Bill. Here I go asking silly questions.  What sort of fixings have you used ie., screws etc. brass, or steel,  Oak tends to corrode steel, something to do with tannin in the wood.     Ian S C

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
Half-blind dovetails :lolb:
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
Ian, I used brass screws and the joints are glued as well. Haven't noticed any problem after many years.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:14:23 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
That looks really handy, Bill  :ThumbsUp:

I wonder if some wooden clamps on the top side wouldn't go amiss to hold down the base of the engine being tested (since I noticed you had to have a finger on the base of your rotary engine while testing).

Simon

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »
I hope these will come through ok..it is a .pdf file with 13 pages. Please note that the air filter, regulator, and lubricator I used were obtained from WW Grainger. I think the SKU #'s shown on the purchased components sheet are still good but I haven't checked them lately. If you don't have access to Grainger I suspect McMaster may have similar "miniature" size air line components. Same for the gage. Other components may require some modifications to the mounting plate and/or brass fittings. If nothing else you can use this as a starting point.

Simon, I like your suggestion a lot...just not sure how to do that in wood and make it flexible enough at the same time for various sized engine bases.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »
Very nice Bill.  Thanks for sharing your work. :praise2:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bill.
Re: clamps. Threaded brass inserts in the top would work with some brass clamps.
I've also had good luck with wobblers that love to walk off the table by using the pads made to keep cell phones, etc. from sliding off the dashboard
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Dang, you guys are gonna make me go back and do some mods now re: clamps :)  I could make some 1/4-20 flanged bushings glued or press fit from the underside and placed in various strategic places to add as much flexibility as possible.  Simon...where were you 9 years ago when I drew these up  :lolb: Guess I have my next mini-project decided now!!

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
You're aware that they make (machine) threaded inserts with exterior knife-like threads that screw into wood?  Simply drill a hole, screw in the insert with a flat blade screwdriver and voila, you have threads.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Threaded-Stainless-Internal-Threads/dp/B00AGIE8DG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1404151941&sr=8-9&keywords=thread+inserts
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Yes, I have seen those too Marv, just wonder if they would be as secure in plywood. I'm sure gluing would help too. But for the purposes stated, simply holding down a model, it wouldn't take a lot of force anyway...not like clamping for machining.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
Yes, I have seen those too Marv, just wonder if they would be as secure in plywood. I'm sure gluing would help too. But for the purposes stated, simply holding down a model, it wouldn't take a lot of force anyway...not like clamping for machining.

If you manage to pull those out clamping a model engine, I'll pay for the repairs.  :)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal