Author Topic: Abbey pumping station Leicester UK  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Abbey pumping station Leicester UK
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
Hi

I had a great day out today at the Abbey pumping station in Leicester in the UK. This is the only place in the world where 4 engines of this type are all running together on steam. I took my 3 year old grand daughter so photos are few and far between but I did manage a few with a bit of video as well.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjmNoHpCRwA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjmNoHpCRwA</a>

Cheers

Rich

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Abbey pumping station Leicester UK
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
It'  amazing that these engines are still in service. They look to be very big in size and beautifully made. There is a lot of history their.
Thanks Rich for sharing with us.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
 8)

And all four in steam, I could have sat watching them all day

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it, great to see them working.

I called in on my back from the north one Saturday afternoon.  Rather disappointing, all the upper stages were roped off, we were only allowed to wander around on the ground floor  :(

Cheers,

Rod
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:04:15 PM by tangler »

Offline ChooChooMike

• Los Angeles, CA (Left Coast !)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
It'  amazing that these engines are still in service. They look to be very big in size and beautifully made. There is a lot of history their.
AND probably wil be in service 100 years from now !!!

Abbey Pumping Station is Leicester's Museum of Science and Technology, displaying Leicester's industrial, technological and scientific heritage. Situated adjacent to the National Space Centre, the two attractions tell the story of over 200 years of science and technology from the early days of steam and industry, to space exploration of today.

2014 is a very special year for the Abbey Pumping Station museum as it's 50 years since the beam engines became redundant. Since 1972 a team of volunteers and museum staff have not only been working to build a technology museum which Leicester could be proud of, but have also been working on the restoration of the four massive Gimson beam engines.

All of the four massive beam engines were seen working together by over 4,000 vistors to the museum during the 2014 Leicester Vintage Festival.

http://www.abbeypumpingstation.org/

Woah !! They've got a steam shovel that's awaiting overhaul and a small railway  :Love:

Why can't we have uber cool places like this on the west end of the pond  :Argue:  :ROFL:

Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »
Rich, I had seen the pics and video earlier and though I had posted then, apparently I didn't. Anyway, thanks  for taking us along on the visit. I agree with Mike, wish we had something like that more local. What a field trip it would make for budding engineering students once they realized this was all done without the aid of solidworks and CNC :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal