Author Topic: Exhaust Fumes  (Read 4158 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Exhaust Fumes
« on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
I've been running my Wyvern engine on Alkylate petrol.  Although more expensive, this fuel doesn't go off with time (which is useful if you only use small amounts) and has a cleaner exhaust with no choking fumes.  We had a thunderstorm this morning and I was optimising the engine carb in the workshop - I guess the engine ran for about 10 minutes all together.  About a quarter of an hour later a piercing alarm which I've never heard before went off - it was the Carbon Monoxide monitor in the living room.  Clearly enough CO had drifted out of the workshop, through the utility room, into the kitchen, through the hall and into the living room where the monitor sits on top of a tall bookcase.

Makes one wonder what the CO concentration was in the workshop.  Just because there are no smelly fumes that does not mean that the combustion products can be ignored.  A salutary warning.

Rod

Offline Thor

Re: Exhaust Fumes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
Hi Rod,
guess you were lucky. Carbon-monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless so you will not smell it or see it. You just get tired and drift away. We were taught never to run a combustion engine indoors, always use a pipe to lead the exhaust outdoors.

Thor

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
Well Rod

You better get a CO alarm fitted to the WS ASAP

Just proves it's a odourless gas ,but it's the other bits you smell

Take care
Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Add to that Thor it gets your legs first so you cannot crawl away we used to have to be very careful when we were up on the bell floor of the blast furnaces we had to wear air fed respirators and have safety person on standby inc. a rope on the safety harness

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline LittleGhost

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
We moved to Scotland 18 months-2 years ago, before that I was born and lived on a farm in Devon. the farm next to ours had a kid who was 2 years older than me, 3 weeks before we moved he was working in the workshop on a petrol ride on mower. It was 4 stroke petrol and he was giving it a service and getting ready for the season, they found him later in the day slumped over a bench. He was the same age as I am now (14) but what I cant get over was there workshop was huge with very big doors on and it was around May time so they would of been open. In the new place we had a extractor fitted in the workshop as I like messing with the mowers
Anything that goes wrong is to be considered an intended example of one way not to do something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal