Author Topic: Van Norman Indexer  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Van Norman Indexer
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
Hi Everyone
While I have been busy on other projects and not getting much work done on the Pacific I thought I would share a few shots of a recently completed re-furb of my 7 1/2” Van Norman indexer. I purchased it many years ago a have put it to good use but time had taken its toll and it was getting pretty stiff, it’s paint was chipped and scratched and most of the bright parts were coated with surface rust (not from my lack of care).
What started this little project was that I need to use it to cut a couple gears and I’m missing one of the plates that I need. It originally came with three and I only have the one. So I decided what the hell as long as I was going to make new index plates I might as well freshen it up.
Someone had filled it with grease and that is why it had gotten pretty stiff. I’m pretty sure this is an oil nipple on top.
Other than being dirty and ugly it is in pretty good shape. The spindle taper 5V appears to never have had a collet inserted in it, it is absolutely pristine. It was all stripped down, cleaned and blasted. The castings were smoothed up a bit before heading to my friend’s body shop for paint. While waiting for the castings to return all the bright parts were polished and in some places a skim cut taken to remove the ugliness.

Here are the fresh painted castings with some assembly photos to follow.

It has a beautiful set of matched preloaded Timken bearings with felt seals to keep the dirt out.

The 24 hole direct index plate is a handy feature.

This is a real nice piece of quality made American Iron, I’m pleased to have it looking and working the way it should.

I’m searching for some missing parts; I would really like to find a matching tailstock for it. There also is a dog driver that fits on the spindle nose. I can make the dog driver, spindle nose cap and the draw tube for the collets. I scored 7 pristine Hardinge 5V collets on eBay today and I’m quite happy about that.

For the right price I would purchase another complete unit to get the parts to complete mine.

Anyway thought some of you may be interested in seeing it,

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Van Norman Indexer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »
Regarding collets.....PM me.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:25:11 AM »
Beautiful job Dave she looks just like new. I do have a spare tail stock casting, so what is the center height of you dividing head? Of coarse you would have to machine it if your interested.

Don

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:02:01 AM »
Dave, that's a beautiful job you've done, I want it!!!!  Thanks for sharing with us.        Gary :)
"Effort equals Results"

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:20:14 AM »
Dave,
You've done a beautiful job restoring a very good machine.  My friend loaned me one of these so I could practice making gears.  It was old, but it worked perfectly and I made some good gears with it. :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »
That's very desirable  :Love: I like the fact it has the rotating base. The gear looks very small relative to the worm what ratio is it?

I've got a bunch of spare tailstocks for dividing heads but they are not much use this side of the pond  :shrug:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
Very nice piece of equipment there Dave.  You've done a beautiful job on it!

You'll have some fun using that I'll bet :)
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
Hi Dave, a beautiful tool.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
How fast do you have to do the indexing to make the roller bearings necessary?

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 12:59:59 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys,

Don, not sure exactly what the center height is;  I will need to measure it. I sure would like to find an original tail stock though.

Jo, it is 40:1 the size of the gears must just be a optical illusion :LittleDevil:

Ian, I'm sure the engineers at Van Norman had a good reason why they used the tapered roller bearings, the ability to add preload and still have things turn smoothly comes to mind. The earlier versions of this unit (from the thirties) had plain bearings.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 06:31:19 AM »
Yes  Van Norman's were tool makers mills.   They were accurate and very rugged.   Old "Norm" not even breaking a sweat.

5/8 carbide end mill with a 1.5" width of cut in cast iron...1/2" deep climb milling........like a walk in the garden.

But at 1440 rpm max speed....not much good for aluminum!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
Cool Picture Dave

Offline Bill Libecap

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
I am in the process of purchasing parts for one. Do you have any documentation to share?

Bill in Cincy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal