Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194043 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #690 on: April 21, 2015, 02:20:44 AM »
Next to make are the toolbox and air tank....

Complete with tools I hope :)

The compressor and generator look great btw.

Bill

Had not thought of tools, but.... Hmmmm...!
A teensy ratchet would be tough! Good thing they would have had BIG wrenches, hammers... At Cass, saw some engines had tools, jacks hanging off the frame too. Good idea, have to see what I can come up with!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #691 on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
Got a start on the tool box. It is made of some brass sheet, cut to shape then edges trimmed with the mill, and silver soldered together. The hinge took a bit of fussing to get it to clear along the back, but not bad. It cannot open all that far anyway since the lid will contact the boiler when open. Below are some photos.

Now, after a great suggestion from b.lindsey, I am going to see about making up a pile of little (well, scaled up they will be quite large) tools - wrenches, hammers, etc. The wrench in the photos is about the size some of them would be - that is not a model but one I use.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #692 on: April 21, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi Crueby,
 This just gets better & better!! Well heres something else to add....a timber jack or two...
heres a link if you dont know what one is..

http://www.creationz.co.nz/kiwinuggets/2006/09/timber-jack.html

and this is how its used, back in the day when men were men & so were some of the girls!!

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/12747/using-timber-jacks

Ive seen these, & picked one up, would hate to have had to carry it round the bush! My Dad can remember seeing them being used, he says that some of the log were huge that the guys were pushing around

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #693 on: April 21, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »
Hi Kerrin,

Thanks for those links! Amazing how large a log they could move. I just took a few pine trees out of the back yard, fortunately nothing that huge!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »
Just a couple of quick progress pics to show - the compressor, air tank, generator, etc parts are painted and installed now, and also got the white floor edge stripe on the tender painted. I have gone back and am making the water piping, connecting up the tender tank, axle pump, hand pump, water return valve, check valves to the boiler. Mostly it is mass producing union nuts, nipples, and connectors, plus bending lots of tubing....  After that I'll probably tackle the drain cock assembly for the cylinders - that looks to be a lot of teensy parts! Then on to the oil lines/valves... This part of the build is all the little fiddly details behind the scenes. Also going to see about making up some small tools for the toolbox...

Next time that it is a little warmer/sunnier outside, I am going to take the loco outside and get some good pictures of it (we have regressed from spring back to wintry weather again, actually had some snow the last couple days!).

Yesterday the local raptor research organization had its annual public event (one of the bays here on the south shore of Lake Ontario is on the migration route for all sorts of hawks/eagles/etc), and I got to participate in the photo session with a collection of hawks, eagles, falcons, owls - took a ton of pictures, and at the end I got a chance to fly one of the hawks - last pic below is of that! Great experience!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal