Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194047 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
The chain acts as a universal joint on each end of a shaft. As the actuating lever in the cab moves, that arm end goes both up/down and a little forward/back on the train. The bottom end of the chain, at the crank arm on the shaft, goes also up/down, but moves to the trains' left/right a bit. I'll admit, I've never seen it done this way either, but it works quite well.

Going back to the pictures I took of the Shay engines at Cass WV and the steam museum in Pennsylvania, I saw they used a joint like this one, which looks to be a ball joint at either end.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
While waiting for the current coat of paint to cure up on the engine (photo 1), I decided to have some fun and skip ahead to make the whistle.
Since the scale whistle size would be an ear-splitting high note, Kozo designed a larger whistle that tucks behind the engine and up against the boiler. Since it is a larger diameter and longer tube, the note is much lower.

To start, found a length of tubing the right size (it is copper rather than brass, but I dont thing that will matter much to the sound), and then cut a shoulder on a piece of rod to be a push fit in the tube end. This will form the base of the whistle. (photo 2)

Then, on the remaining length, cut a shallow cap piece to plug the far end of the tube - this piece was soldered into the tube. (photo 3)

Back to the base piece, drilled a hole through for the steam passage. This end of the hole will be plugged with a bolt. It does not go all the way through, but meets up with the slot to be cut in a couple steps. (photo 4)

Drilled a hole in the side that met up with the lengthwise passage. The hole was enlarged at the opening to take the screw fitting which will take the steam tube from the whistle valve in the cab. (photo 5)

Then cut the slot in the side that the steam passage leads to. From this slot, a thin cut was made to the end to form the opening into the tube. This cut was just 0.2mm deep, so it does not show in the photos. (photo 6)

Then, cut the opening in the tube that makes the turbulance for the sound. (photo 7)

With the screw fitting and a mounting flange silver soldered on, and the bolt plugging the steam passage opening in place, the whistle is complete. (last photo)

Only way I know to get a sound posted here was to do it as a video clip - boring blank view, but the sound comes through. I was just blowing through the screw fitting for this - volume is lower than it will be  but you can hear the note.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTeTbavIFCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTeTbavIFCw</a>

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:28:55 AM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
Chris, it says the video can only be played on youtube. Can you provide a direct link in that case or enable it to be viewed here?

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2015, 02:35:42 AM »
Chris, it says the video can only be played on youtube. Can you provide a direct link in that case or enable it to be viewed here?

Bill

Hi Bill - took some looking but I finally found the setting - I had turned off the 'allow embedding' option for some reason, that kept it from working properly. Wierd thing is it played fine on my PC, but not on my tablet. It seems to be fine on both now - sorry for the problem!

Chris

Also - with the progress lately I am rethinking bringing it to Cabin Fever - might make it after all. I need to get the reverse levers hooked up, make some more fitting plugs (easy), get some more of the piping done so I could run it through the boiler/throttle, and also make two more key parts: a set of riser blocks to let the wheels spin just above the rails, and also a carry case so I can strap it down in the back of the car safely (would not do to have it free-wheel around the inside of the car!). If it is looking like I can get that stuff done, I'll let people know. I have the parts I'd need to hook up to the house air supply there, would not take that much to get that made too.... Maybe!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #619 on: March 22, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
After getting the whistle made, I realized that it would save removing/reinstalling the engine an extra time to also make the whistle valve and piping, since that connects down behind the engine. Also, the whistle valve hole would need to be plugged to test the engine on air from the boiler anyway. So, on to the valve. For once I happened to have a piece of brass hex stock the right size, so chucked that up and turned down the end to fit into the steam manifold that sits on top of the boiler in the cab. The end was drilled/bored to form the seat for a ball bearing check valve. (photo 1)

Then, flipped it around and drilled/bored out the other end for the valve stem and o-ring retainer. (photo 2)

After silver soldering on a square block on top to hold the lever, and a threaded connector on the bottom for the outlet pipe, it looks like the third photo. (photo 3)

Next part was the plug that goes in the front end of the valve - this holds it in the manifold, and also holds the return spring for the ball bearing. (photo 4)

Last part to make was the actuating lever. It was rough hack-sawn from stainless, then milled/filed down to shape. (photo 5)

Last 2 photos show the parts all made, and then assembled.

Just need to make the tubing nipples and union nuts, and it can be installed...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #620 on: March 22, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
This afternoon I got the tubing fittings made and installed for the whistle/whistle valve assembly. Really glad I did this before installing the engine - would not have been room to get the whistle and its fittings in otherwise. Getting the tubing the right length and the union nuts started was a royal pain in the exhaust with so many other parts so close.

Anyway, the union nuts were simple to make - drilled a through hole a little larger than the tubing through a length of hex rod, and drilled/tapped the end, and parted it off. (photo 1)

The tubing nipples are bronze, and were made by first through drilling a hole, and drilling a shallow hole the diameter of the tubing. This is where the fitting will be soldered onto the tube. (photo 2)

Then, used the parting tool to narrow down a neck to match the hole in the fitting this will all screw onto. Parted it off, and silver soldered onto the tubing. (photo 3)

Then, a bunch of fat-fingered assembly, and the whistle is in place under the steam bracket. It will be un-noticed behind the engine. A scale-sized dummy whistle will be in the normal place atop the boiler - this larger whistle has a much lower pitch, wont be as ear splitting as a scale size one would be. With that done, and now that the paint on the engine has cured up, back to assembling the reverse gear linkage onto the engine. Once that is done, I'll cut the stop slots in the reverse gear hand lever rails, and can test/tune the valve timings for both directions. Lots of little fiddly stuff! Once all that is done I'll post another video of it running - probably be a couple days given other events here this week...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #621 on: March 22, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »
Also - with the progress lately I am rethinking bringing it to Cabin Fever - might make it after all.

That would be great. Looking forward to it.  :whoohoo:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #622 on: March 23, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
Got some plugs in for the water inlets, and hooked up the compressor to the boiler to test the whistle installation. Found a couple minor leaks in the snifter and throttle valve, have to sort those out - you can hear the hisses in the video. Here is a quick video of the whistle now that it is installed. You can see the whistle itself in the lower right corner - it is the round tube with the fittings on the left end.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-OZ0uaZKbY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-OZ0uaZKbY</a>

Also got the reverse gear rod/arms installed, plus made the first part of the steam inlet pipe. Still need to make the elbow that takes it to the boiler steam outlet fitting. Below is a shot of those.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #623 on: March 23, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
That'll help break the ice at parties! Lots of fun, well done. Whistles can be tricky things at times. Hugh.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #624 on: March 23, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
I'll second Zee's enthusiasm.  Please bring it.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #625 on: March 23, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »
I'll second Zee's enthusiasm.  Please bring it.

-Bob

I'm trying, Cap'n - giving it all she'll take!   :Lol:

I'd love to bring it to Cabin Fever if I can get enough together in time. Lots of progress the last couple days - just got the reverse gear links all pinned, and ran a test of it in forward and reverse. All went well, was some clatter that I traced to the center con-rods' locknut, which worked loose, plus the valve eccentrics rattle against each other a hair, but that is not a functional problem. I tracked down the leaks in the throttle and snifter, so that part is done. Still have some more pipe fittings to make, and a biggie is working out a carry box that I can strap it down in the car with. If things keep on well this week, looks like I will be making reservations to hit the show! There will be no tender/water tank behind the cab (might make a cardboard cutout to show where it will be). Need to find out from you guys what the air hookup details are at the show so I can have that ready too - quick disconnects? 1/4-npt male/female, what? If I make it, I'll bring the loco, my double beam, and the marine triple engine.

Anyway, here is the running video - part way in, I shift the reverse link down to middle to stop it, then over to the other end to reverse it.  It does run nice and slow at around 10 or 12 psi (at least according to the little gauge on the compressor).  :DrinkPint:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP8KS-DThs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP8KS-DThs</a>

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #626 on: March 24, 2015, 07:32:50 AM »
Hi Crueby,
 She's coming along in leaps & bounds...... & big ones at that!
I'm sure that if you take her along to CF nobody will mind if few bits are missing! Of coarse the obligatory pictures are a must, espeacilly for those of us that have no chance of getting there!

As to a carry something......Kozo's Heisler book, & if I looked, & Climax, have a section on a carry case, does the New Shay book not have it? I've got both my locos in frames, being 5" a bit bigger than the shay, can post a pic if you are interested. These bolt into a trailer, or with Toby, just sits it the back of the SUV, both locos then are bolted securely down, both have been dragged many kilometers .

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #627 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
Hi Crueby,
 She's coming along in leaps & bounds...... & big ones at that!
I'm sure that if you take her along to CF nobody will mind if few bits are missing! Of coarse the obligatory pictures are a must, espeacilly for those of us that have no chance of getting there!

As to a carry something......Kozo's Heisler book, & if I looked, & Climax, have a section on a carry case, does the New Shay book not have it? I've got both my locos in frames, being 5" a bit bigger than the shay, can post a pic if you are interested. These bolt into a trailer, or with Toby, just sits it the back of the SUV, both locos then are bolted securely down, both have been dragged many kilometers .

Cheers Kerrin

For sure parts would be missing - tender, etc, but I do want it to be running.

The New Shay book does show how to build a carry box, I just have not made it yet. My SUV does have some tie down rings, have to see how strong they are. Could always coat the bottom of the box in velcro and stick it to the carpet!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #628 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »
The last couple days I've gotten some more painting done on the engine and on the steam domes, plus reworked some gaskets that were leaking a bit.

Also took some time to install the CNC ready bearing/adapter sets on the mill. I am not switching to CNC, but these parts from Sherline solve a problem with their machines that have bugged me for a LONG time. They have a nice anti-backlash adjustment for the leadscrews, but the tables are held to the leadscrews in part by the handwheels. Not a bad way, as long as there is a way to adjust the pretension on that connection. But, there is NOT. They use a small grub screw through the handwheel into the end bar on the leadscrew. That screw never holds position that long, so you are constantly readjusting the fit, since the play builds up to a horrible level. With the CNC fittings, they used proper ball bearing thrust bearings, with a preload adjustment from the leadscrew. All I had to do was to make a little connector bar and plate to take the place of the stepper motor, and am back in business without all the play in the tables. Why they dont switch all thier machines to a setup like this is baffling - costly to rework old machines, but new ones could be done that way pretty easy. Okay, end of rant!!

Now, on to the steam pipe and exhaust pipe fittings. For both, there is an elbow fitting needed to turn the pipes into the boiler. They start out as a short length of hex bar stock, with a smaller hole drilled through and a larger one bored halfway through, all done with the four-jaw chuck on the lathe. (photo 1)

Then, the bar was turned lengthwise in the 3-jaw, and the shape turned in for one arm of the final fitting. (photo 2)

Then, a crossbar was made to fit the holes in the first bar, and to form the part of the fitting going off at 90 degrees to the first bar. The third picture shows the parts for both the steam and the exhaust elbows ready for silver soldering. (photo 3)

Then, naturally, they were silver soldered together... (photo 4)

and the hex and round extension parts of the bar used to chuck it up in the lathe for drilling/tapping the ends of the elbows (next three photos). (photos 5,6,7)

The last photo shows the fittings all drilled/tapped, and ready to cut off/round over the upper and right parts of the fittings. Out of time for that today, will pick up on it tomorrow...

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #629 on: March 26, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
Hi Crueby

Just stopping in to say that I'm still following along, and still enjoying it!  You sure are doing
some nice work on this.

Standing  by for the next installment :popcorn:

Cheers, Joe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal