Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194659 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #585 on: March 14, 2015, 02:10:03 AM »
crueby-

It's coming along nicely.  How much more until it is done?

-Bob

Hi Bob, For the whole project - there is the rest of the reverse gear, drain piping for the cylinders, lots of water/steam/exhaust piping, the whistle, tender, water tank, more painting, lettering the tender, and lots of little details. At a guess, several months more anyway. I started last June, probably sometime around this June/July?? A lot depends on when spring really gets warm and I get out in the boats again - spring sailing time trumps all!

Chris

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #586 on: March 14, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »
That really is a blistering pace Chris.  Wow.  I look forward to when it is finished.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #587 on: March 14, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
That really is a blistering pace Chris.  Wow.  I look forward to when it is finished.

-Bob

Being retired really helps the pace - otherwise add several years to this project!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #588 on: March 14, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »
Still looking great Chris. I suspect the next air test is just around the corner.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2015, 12:46:18 AM »
Still looking great Chris. I suspect the next air test is just around the corner.

Bill
Been lots of other stuff happening this week slowing progress, but moving forward slowly. I am thinking that I will test run it with the one cylinder first, since i am wondering about the width of the valve and the placement of the steam inlet hole, they overlap slightly more than I expected and I dont want to have to disassemble all three again. The inlet angles through the cylinder block to the vaslve face, which is different than any other engine I've built. Rather go slow at this stage and save a lot of work later. If the overlap is too much I will remake the valve sliders narrower. You can see the inlet in the upper right of the steam chest in photo 1 of reply post 584 from march 13.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2015, 01:53:23 AM »
Finally got time tonight to take the right hand valve chest apart and check measurements to the book - clearance is fine on the slides.  :cartwheel:
With everything assembled it looks really really close, but there is always coverage with the valve rim. That will save reworking the sliders. Phew!
So, back to original plan and will continue putting in the valve gear on the end cylinders...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »
Important news first: IT RUNS!!!!!    :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

Okay. Ahem. Back to the details.....

Got back into the shop yesterday and today after a bunch of delays for other events, leagues, family stuff, etc (all the usuals when you are anxious to get something done). Got the other two cylinders' valves installed/timed, oiled everything, along with making and installing all the gaskets, temporary plugs for oil feeds, air hose connection, and making a quick test stand (adapted a work support and made a couple little blocks to retain the u-joint ends so they would not whip around too much). With all that done, got out the compressor and started to feed it some air. It ran part way around, then would stop at same spot each time, at number 1 piston TDC. Pulled the valve cover, ran the valve down a turn or so, and buttoned it up again (glad it was not the center piston, that one requires removing the right hand cylinder). More air applied. At about 15 to 25 psi it self starts and runs very nicely, up and down the pressure range. After the obligatory Snoopy happy-dance, got out the camera and recorded an official test run - below.  8)

Major step - I am very happy with the progress on it lately! It sounds like there is a tweak needed in one of the cylinders still, I detect a minor hitch in the sound on each rev. I think I will wait till the reverse gear actuating lever is on before that adjustment, it may just be that the reverse links were not in quite the same spot, affecting the lead on the valves.

Here is the video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzB4O0XvtFY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzB4O0XvtFY</a>

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »
 :whoohoo: Congratulations - I'm one of the many who have been following this very interesting thread quietly for a long time (though you are doing it fast) - a major milestone has been reached  :praise2:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »
Nice I really  :Love: to see Shay engines run  :pinkelephant:

:cheers:
Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:08 AM »
Hi Chris, congratulations to this successful test run with air. Nicely done  and everything  really fast. Waiting for the next steps like changing direction of rotation, now.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
 8) Nice. I too am a Shay engine fan  ;).

Seeing run that makes me wonder whatever happened to that D class 7 1/4" Shay that he who hath gone was making.  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
I imagine that was quite satisfying, Chris. Nice work!

~Hans

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »
Thanks guys! After a bunch more running it and celebrating  :cartwheel:, this morning got started on the reverse gear actuator parts - just got the stock laid out for the hangers and the link arms, photos to follow soon...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
Magnificent  :praise2:  :praise2: It sounds good to me  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:30 PM »
Fantastic Chris...you much be pleased as punch with that...beauty in motion !!!!  What a beauty it is  :praise2: :praise2:

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal