Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194018 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
On to the crosshead guides. These frames connect the cylinders down to the crankcase, guide the crossheads, and hold the slides for the valves. So far I've gotten the main tube portion done, lots more to go on them....

Started out with some large brass bar stock (stress relieved since they will be milled out to open-frame columns in the middle) in the lathe, held up with the steady rest. I squared up both ends, measured the lengths, and figured out how much more to take off one end to get them down to final length. (photo 1)

Then back in the lathe, took off that much, and drilled a starter hole, and bored them out to size (matches the cylinder bores). (photo 2)

Once all were the right length and bored to size, took off the steady rest and inserted one end of the jig used for drilling the cylinders - made a handy piece to hold the end of the live center to steady up the piece for taking it down to final diameter. (photo 3)

I did one end, flipped it end for end, and did the other. (photo 4)

Fifth photo shows one down to outside size, one on right still to go. Note that they are stamped for which cylinder they go with - I like to keep them in sets, in case there is any fine fitting/tweaking needed, they will be taken apart/put together a bunch of times during the build.

Next photo shows drilling the mounting holes, using the same drill jig from the cylinders. Same goes at both ends - same pattern used for the crankcase end. The lines down the center are to align the top/bottom holes with each other.

Last photo shows progress so far. The middle one has some guide lines on it, am figuring out the milling needed for the next step which turns them into open columns...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »
I think I missed checking in yesterday crueby. Man...those cylinders and steam chests sitting in the loco look fantastic. Your progress still astounds me!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:13 AM »
I think I missed checking in yesterday crueby. Man...those cylinders and steam chests sitting in the loco look fantastic. Your progress still astounds me!!

Bill

Just wait till tomorrow, I have the first half of the crosshead guide columns milled out, they will look great!

Online derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »
Hey crueby....beautiful machining work displayed for the engine :ThumbsUp:

1. The reason for the PM was that I didn't want to ask a question  :Director: on the WEB site that is questioning your build

2. There seems to be a huge amount of brass/bronze mass in the engine build that will be a huge thermal condensation soak [and difficult to insulate] prior to getting relatively dry steam to the cylinder/pistons  :headscratch:

I am certainly looking forward to see each days progress.....Derek :cheers:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:20 AM »
Hi Derek,

My guess is that is  why Kozo designed it so the engine is bolted to the steam manifold which is bolted to the side of the boiler, so the boiler would warm the engine as it warms up to build pressure. I dont have direct experience on that - anyone else out there who does, please chime in on this question. Lots of these engines were built by others, so it must work out.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »

Bill

Absolutely, me too   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
Me as well. Excellent work.

How many hours a day are you in your shop Crueby?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
Must be at least 30 hours a day Tom   :lolb:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
Actually it is usually 3 or 4 total per day, though getting on a roll in the shop can cause time warps that make the clock spin up to the 30 hours a day mark!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »
Been a productive morning - got the rest of the crosshead guides machined out. Last time I had them to diameter and bored through the center, this time set up in the mill and took out the center section on each side, leaving two 'columns' holding the rings at either end. The first operation had it set up in the vise, using the screw holes at the end to get it level - was a good double check when the mill broke through the screw holes evenly all the way around while taking down the surface. (photo 1)

After the first side was done, put in a couple of square bars as a reference, so that the second side would get milled parallel to the first, and milled out the same amount. That left a 10mm thick column on either side. (photo 2)

Then, set it up with the columns held between spacers, and milled the sides of the columns flat. (photo 3)

The tops of the columns got a small recessed rectangle - this is not used for any fittings, but makes it look like the original castings. Below the recess will be a fitting for the reverse gear. (photo 4)

Last step was to drill/tap a number of holes for mounting fittings for reverse gear and valve guides. (photo 5)

Last three photos show the engine parts so far test assembled (sure it will be apart/together again many times before it is all done). Really looking like an engine now. The bottoms of the columns get bolted to the crankcase, which comes next in the build. That part is built up from a bunch of pieces, should be interesting to do. For now, time to sit and stare at the shiny pieces so far!   :DrinkPint:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2015, 07:05:10 PM »
You were right crueby...those do look great !!! The engine is progressing rapidly but why should that be a surprise :)

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »

You were right crueby...those do look great !!! The engine is progressing rapidly but why should that be a surprise :)

Bill

I'm constantly left breathless, but it's a great thread, and I'll miss it when it's gone. All good Chris.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2015, 01:22:24 AM »
 8)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
Thanks guys!

Today was a stock prep day - the crankcase is made up of 4 thick blocks, an angled top plate, and two side plates. All are non-stock widths, so had to mill down the next size up.

In the first photo, I had the two side plates milled to length, and was taking them down a few mm's to the planned width.

Then, milled the top plate to length, and needed to take the sides down a little and also angle them to 11.3 degrees. This is the angle of the sides of the finished crankcase. To put on the angle, I got out the handy tilt table, mounted the vise on it, and took down the edges with the mill. (photo 2)

Third photo shows an end view of the top plate with the edges beveled. I left the tilt table set to the angle, since the same angle will get milled into the blocks later, and leaving it set I could be sure to be able to duplicate it again.

Next up was to mill down the blocks to dimension - had to take off a little in all dimensions for this. (photo 4)

Last photo shows the parts so far. Still need to angle the sides of the blocks and put a step in them for the side plates to sit in. Then they will all be screwed together for silver soldering and further milling. Thats enough for today - back at it tomorrow or the next day, got some work to do on the submarine for next RC gathering....

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #434 on: January 31, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
Amazing output crueby. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal