Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194017 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #345 on: January 03, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Miss a few days of this thread, there's another 27 chapters! Great stuff you've been doing, those levers came out well. Hugh.

Oh no! Now I am a soap opera!!!  AAAAHHHH!    :toilet_claw:

Ahem. Okay, I'm back. Nice thing about retirement, you work on what you want, when you want.   :D

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #346 on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »

Oh no! Now I am a soap opera!!!  AAAAHHHH!

Will he? Won't he? Will Shay have duplicitous bearings? Will she blow her stack the first time Chris tries to kindle her fire? Stay tuned...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »

Will he? Won't he? Will Shay have duplicitous bearings? Will she blow her stack the first time Chris tries to kindle her fire? Stay tuned...

:lolb:  Its all your fault crueby, you have us hooked on this great project and your dedication to it!!  The throttle looks great BTW.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #348 on: January 04, 2015, 01:01:22 AM »
I  know for sure,  he has to eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom, but, I also know he ain't spending a whole lot of time doing any of them and he damn sure ain't watching a lot of tele.  Most amazing rate of a loco build I've ever seen and beautiful work to boot  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

E

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #349 on: January 04, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
I  know for sure,  he has to eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom, but, I also know he ain't spending a whole lot of time doing any of them and he damn sure ain't watching a lot of tele.  Most amazing rate of a loco build I've ever seen and beautiful work to boot  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

E

Eek! If you 'know' those things for sure, I am going to check my door locks! Good assumptions though.

If you guys really knew about all the other hobbies that have been going on at the same time as this build... (Scratch-Building an RC sub, kayaking, sailing, two archery leagues, pistol leagues, rifle league, woodcarvings, hiking, trips, reading, furniture building, naps in the sun, and yes watching TV) ... then you would really understand why I am so happily retired. No meetings, no pointy-haired bosses, plenty of time outside...!   8)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #350 on: January 04, 2015, 01:26:41 AM »
With all that going on crueby...sounds like going to a regular job would be a vacation :) Though it is nice being your own boss I am sure.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #351 on: January 04, 2015, 01:43:31 AM »
With all that going on crueby...sounds like going to a regular job would be a vacation :) Though it is nice being your own boss I am sure.

Bill

What freaked out my coworkers in the past was how much of this I did then, though no where near as much as now. It was obvious where I was going after work (or at lunchtime) when they saw the kayak on the car...

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #352 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
Hi Crueby,
 Sorry for the slow reply! Somehow missed your question re filling the boiler, I see Kvom answered it. Just to add a bit. The clubs here use standard garden hose to dispense water for locos, the source being either rain water in a tank pumped, or if the water is soft straight from the tap at what ever pressure. Usually the hose has no end so I have a quick fit fitting to fit the hose, then hook on a short length of hose, which has the corresponding fitting, the other end has a valve on it, ( you only get wet once before fitting one) this has a length of tubing that just slips over the blow down outlet. So just open the blowdown valve, then your valve & carry on with the startup lubricating etc while the boiler fill. hope this helps
   Hanging out for the next update!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2015, 11:28:59 PM »
This thread goes into my reference file. An excellent source of material.

Someday...some day!...I'll build a Kozo loco.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »

Time for the next episode of "Shays Of Our Lives" - Will Shay go for Tommy The Tank Engine? Will Shay play the violin again after her coma?.... The hit series is back after a short hiatus to prep an RC model for this weekend.

Anyway, on with the build!

Next up on the throttle/reverse levers is the moving part of the handle that actuates the locking lever. This is another small fiddly part, so am again making up the two pieces together as long as possible to have something solid and rectangular to hold in the vise.

Started out with a rectangular length of steel bar - drilled the end holes, and milled it down to the right width. (photo 1)

Then, turned the bar up on end and milled the slot in the end. This slot will allow the handle to fit over the main bar and the locking arm. (photo 2)

Turned the piece back on its side, and milled out the middle section. (photo 3)

That left the middle section parallel, and one side needs to taper in. (photo 4) So, angled it in the vise and milled one side to the taper then the other. (photo 5)

At this point, I have done about all I can with the pieces still connected. They were sawn apart, held with a small clamp and the tapered area was rounded over on one side on the grinder. After that, cut a little strip of sheet spring to size and drilled a hole in the end to hold it to the lever (to drill this spring stock, which is left over clock pendulum spring material, I clamp it between two pieces of wood and drill through the wood into the spring steel - only way to hold it I have come up with). (photo 6)

With all the parts assembled, the two lever arms are done. (photo 7) Last photo shows how pulling the two handles together raises the locking arm up in its slot.

Next up will be to make the sector rails that the levers ride in - those will have notches that the locking arms engage in....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:46:21 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
This thread goes into my reference file. An excellent source of material.

Someday...some day!...I'll build a Kozo loco.

It takes a lot of days to build one (8 months into this one so far), so start now - why delay the fun!?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »
Time to make the sector rails for the throttle and reverse levers. They started out as a wide piece of flat bar stock, rough sawn to shape, and the second smaller rail piece was screwed in place using the same holes that will be used to hold the second rail and spacers later.

I got out the faceplate with a piece of wood screwed to it (same piece was used earlier to hold the firebox end plate), and drilled/tapped it for some 10-32 bolts to hold a crossbar to hold the rail in place for milling. With the pivot hole for the lever screwed to the middle of the crossbar, and using that screw as a reference, the whole thing was centered up on the faceplate. Then, milled the outer radius first, turning it with the rotary table. Stopped once the distance from the pivot to the outer edge matched up with the corresponding distance on the lever arm. (photo 1 and 2)

Then moved the table in and milled the radius on the inner edge of the second rail (mill was set to just skim the main rail piece). (photo 3)

With that done, came back with the mill lowered and nibbled out the inner radius on the main piece. Once that was done, just a matter of filing the ends of the rails to a even curve around the screws. (photo 4)

Same sequence was done on the throttle rail pieces.... (photo 5)

After all the rail curves were done, I used the same setup to mill out the bases to final shape. (photo 6)

Last photo shows the two sectors with base plates soldered on, and the lever arms all assembled.  All that remains on them is to cut the notches for the locking levers to drop into...

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
WOW.  Those finished levers look amazing.

Vince

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
I'll say!  You just keep at it Crueby and you're going to have a finished Shay on your hands!
So many details, and all done so well.
Thanks for sharing Crueby,
Kim

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2015, 09:41:14 PM »
Great chapter! Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal