Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194057 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
All I can say is I don't think I have seen such a complicated project completed so quickly and with such skill ... Well Done

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
All I can say is I don't think I have seen such a complicated project completed so quickly and with such skill ... Well Done

Cheers

Tom

Thanks!

Maybe I saved up all that creativity and wasted meeting time from working at Kodak all those years and poured them into this project!!!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »

Maybe I saved up all that creativity and wasted meeting time from working at Kodak all those years and poured them into this project!!!

This is a statement I can 100% understand. In my case it is still ongoing and it is an other comany. But may be some day .......
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
Yesterday I posted a couple pictures of the engine before painting the boiler and cab - here are some shots after painting - going to let it set up for a few days before going back and picking out the edge of the floorboard/engine-cover plates in white, as well as the engine numbers on the cab and front plate. Still, looking like a train now - someone come get me in a couple hours, that will be enough time to sit and stare at it! Come a long way from the start of this back in June, very happy with how it has come along.
Again - thanks to all those reading along and encouraging/advising me!

Merry Christmas!!
Chris

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
That looks just amazing crueby!!!!!!  I am running out of superlatives here. I can only say well done!!  :praise2: :praise2:

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »
WOW.  And not finished yet.

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
Thanks guys! Could not resist a couple pictures of it under the tree....

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
Reminded me of the movie Polar Express.

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
Reminded me of the movie Polar Express.

Vince

Now I've got to carve some polar bears, elves and reindeer to go with it!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
Nah....just finish a circle of track big enough to go around the tree so that next year we can have a video of you riding round and round the Christmas tree :)  Fine looking tree by the way too !!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #325 on: December 26, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
Hope everyone got something better than old rusty swarf in thier stockings this year!

Back from holidays, got a little done in the shop - finished up the water gauge and got the blower valve done too - starting on the blowoff valve now.

First up was to make up the valve stems for the three valves. First, turned down some steel rod to the dimensions for the threaded area as well as the pointed valve portion at the end. (photo 1)

Then threaded the middle area (photo 2) and took the outer end down to size with the parting tool. (photo 3)

The blowoff valve stem outer end is a little different, it is drilled for a crossbar where the other two get handwheels. (photo 4)

To make the handwheels, I turned the shape of the rim into a brass rod and center drilled it to fit on the end of the valve stem (getting two rims out of this piece, so there is a second rim started behind the first). Then on the rotary table, drilled a series of holes just inside the rim. (photo 5). Switched to a small end mill, and took little nibbles out of the rim to make it easy to grip. (photo 6). Back on the lathe, parted off the first, and turned the center in for the second one before parting it off. (photo 7).

Finally, silver soldered the parts together to make the finished valve stems (last photo).

The site has a limit on how many photos I can upload at once, so splitting here to another post...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
Back on the fittings, needed to make up a couple bolts for mounting the water gauge and blower pipe. These bolts are drilled up through the threaded area and cross drilled under the head to form a steam passage. Started with a piece of brass rod long enough for the two bolts, and turned down/threaded/drilled each end. (phtoto 1)

Then switched the chuck over to the rotary table, and milled the flats into the middle section to form the hex heads on the bolts. (photo 2)

Drilled the cross holes, and parted the two bolts apart. (photo 3)

Next photo shows the first of these bolts holding the water gauge assembly onto the back face of the boiler. You can also see the copper tube from the top of the gauge going back to the manifold on top of the boiler.

Next up was the blower valve (which takes steam and runs it up the smokestack to increase the draft on the fire). One end was turned down and the hex shape milled in as before. (photo 5)

That gave a good surface to chuck in the lathe for turning down and threading the other end. (photo 6)

After cross drilling for the steam passage, next photo shows the valve ready to go. And... Swarf-Pucky!! Just noticed I had the wrong valve stem in the valve for the photo. Oh well, another wardrobe malfunction! (photo 7)

Last photo shows all the valves so far in place (with the correct handwheels this time!). Last up will be the blowdown valve, used to drain the boiler. That will be next time...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
Catching up on the last of the valve/etc bits in the cab area, got the blowdown valve made (very simaler to the other valves in last couple posts). One change I did from the book was that instead of just being a bit of tube for the exhaust hole, I made it a barbed tube fitting that I can use to attach a tube from the compressor or house supply at shows to run the engine on air. That way I can display it on air, using the normal throttle control without having to remove/replace any fittings.

Second photo shows the completed (for now) cab area - made up the firebox door from brass and steel. There are still more controls to come later - the throttle lever and reversing gear lever plus the valve for water supply from the axle pump.

Last few photos show the loco so far, now that I got the floor plate edges and numbers picked out in white paint - really makes the profile pop.

Next up is the throttle valve assembly, safety/snifter valves, and the steam/sand domes. The domes are larger than any brass stock I have, so they will be turned from aluminum (are not pressure holding, just trim pieces, and will be painted, so material does not matter).....

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Very neat fittings  :praise2:  :praise2: and the finished product is looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
As you said crueby, the white numbering and edging really makes things stand out...I love it!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal