Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194553 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #300 on: December 21, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
Looking magnificent  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Those numbers must have taken some patience  :praise2:  :praise2: Still enjoying the build  :popcorn:  :DrinkPint:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #301 on: December 21, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
Very nice crueby!!  Once you get a few of those things hung in the cab I'd be tempted to open and close valves and make choo choo noises :) Still following your amazing progress.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #302 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
FINALLY! got some big progress on the boiler - was finally able to cure those last pesky pinhole leaks and get it to hold pressure.  :pinkelephant:  There must be a good way to solve those pinhole leaks (that shoot a super-thin stream under pressure) - I have not found it yet other than repeated reflow. I am pretty sure that a lot of the problem was poor fit on the inside joint rings used to link the tube sections, and also on the strips that closed the tube rings. I was settling for a good structural strength joint, did not make enough effort to get a good tight fit all the way around like I should have. Oh well, still lots learned from first shot at a boiler! This one will spend most of its time as a display model, run on air, so that is acceptable - not worth going back and remaking the whole boiler. Lesson learned for next model though!
So, time to get it polished up and get the boiler jackets on and painted - looks like a session with the paint sprayer is coming up for the jackets, cab, smokebox parts. Will post some pictures when that is done....

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #303 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Congratulations on the successful boiler hydro.  :cheers:

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #304 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
That is great news...congrats on the successful boiler!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
That is great news...congrats on the successful boiler!

Bill

Thanks - had an excellent Belgian beer from a friend who owns a microbrewery - perfect way to celebrate!  :DrinkPint:

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »
Hi Crueby, congratulation for this excellent test result.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Pleased you got all the leaks sorted out.  Been following your build and I never miss your posts.

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
Thanks guys! Its a big relief to get past that milestone. Today I am going to get some paint on the cab and boiler shell, should really make it look different again.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Glad you got the boiler finally sorted  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: just an engine to make now  :stir:  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline daveb

« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
Its a great feeling to get the thing to hold pressure, I know that feeling!!  Going thru the same with the engine but things are getting better.  I really enjoy reading your posts. 

Dave
Dave Barker
Bow NH

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Glad you got the boiler finally sorted  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: just an engine to make now  :stir:  ;)

Still a few weeks to the engine itself, gotta make the throttle, safety valves, steam dome, sand dome, and steam brackets. Getting close though!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
A great way to be winding up the year, well done on the pinholes. You'll be riding it soon... All the best, Hugh.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I have the first coat of paint on the boiler/cab parts - needs some touchup in places after it dries. Looks like I'll be able to assemble those parts and get some pictures of it under the tree tomorrow...! Very neat way to wrap up the year as THS mentioned.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
Here is the most of the rest of the water gauge assembly - since last time got the last of the parts threaded and silver soldered together. First the mounting ring onto the main column, as well as the crossbars onto the glass holders (photo 1). Then, with a piece of rod as an alignment guide in place of the glass, soldered the rest of the parts on.

After that, made up the union nuts that go around the glass tube, and compress the o-rings at the ends of the tube. (photo 2).

Made up the top/bottom plugs, and test fitted everything (photo 3). Getting the tube, o-rings, and nuts all in is a bit fiddly, but it all works. All that is left is to make the valve stem for the drain valve at the bottom of the glass (water drains out of the little tube stub at the very bottom), and bend up/attach the tube that goes to the manifold. Cant do the tube till the boiler is back from the paint shop (corner of the basement) so I can work out the length and curve.

I also took some pictures before starting paint, of the boiler and cab in place. With the boiler jackets on it all looks great in raw brass, but I am going for the painted-real-train look (plus keeping all that brass shiny would be a pain!). Pictures of it painted should be up tomorrow sometime....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal