Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194030 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2014, 12:24:56 AM »
Darn, now I'll feel guilty for not posting for a day or two...!  :jumpingsmileys:

Glad you are enjoying it, I am too!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
Nah, don't feel guilty, gosh until today I hadn't posted anything worthwhile for two weeks or so. Sometimes life just gets in the way, Admittedly though, it has been fun to see your rather rapid progress and knowing how much work it takes behind the scenes :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
After a little hemming/hawing/dithering, decided to try the milling/rotary table approach on the steam dome opening - worked just fine - less chatter than with the boring head, which due to the way the boiler curves would have been an interrupted cut on every revolution. One thing I gotta say though - copper + sharp end mill + light finishing cut = some incredibly sharp and tiny little shavings, just the right size to stick themselves into the pores of your hand!!  :censored:

Second/third photos show the steam dome bushing in place in the finished hole, a nice slide in fit.

After that, drilled and tapped the hole for the steam outlet fitting, which will be connected with a short length of bent tubing to the center hole of the steam dome bushing.

Fifth photo shows the two fittings set in place, before putting in the clamps on the steam dome.

Next photo shows one of the clamps in place before rounding off the upper surface - this is how it was left when making them earlier.

Seventh photo shows the two clamps after rounding off the upper surfaces on the disc sander, and the clamps bolted into place.

At this point, the two fittings are ready for soldering into place.

Time for a beer! (handy having a friend who runs a microbrewery - always something excellent tasting to celebrate with!)   :DrinkPint:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
I got asked where I bought the copper rivets for the boiler - since there are only a dozen or so needed I am making them by sawing off a square strip of copper sheet from the leftover pieces and chucking them up in the four jaw with enough hanging out for one rivet. Couple passes to tutn it round then parting it off. One instant rivet. Square head, but since that will be on inside does not matter. Made a bunch in a few minutes, quick shot with the torch to anneal them, and ready for use.

Last time I was building a lapstrake boat and needed them by the thousand, I bought copper nails and roves for riveting the planks. For this, no need to buy...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »
Fantastic fall weather out there today (high 70s, sunny, had to be outside before it snows by the weekend!), so only went into the shop for a few minutes - made the connector pipe from the steam dome fitting to the steam outlet. All ready to solder up. As I recall the only other thing left on this section of the boiler is to make another joint strip for the end of it.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
Crueby...will those two clamping pieces remain or are they just to hold the part for soldering?  Just curious.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »
Crueby...will those two clamping pieces remain or are they just to hold the part for soldering?  Just curious.

Bill

The book says to solder them in - i assume that they give more strength for the bushing which is a lot larger diameter than any of the others so more total pressure on it. It is the only fitting with extra mechanical holders.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »
Quick update - got the first boiler shell section silver soldered up today - took a couple sessions to get all the joints done, some of the joints took a couple of tries. This was my first time soldering up long joints, took a couple experiments to figure that out, wound up using both torches to put enough heat in quickly - that worked very well. First tries with one it was hard to get both the shell and the joint strip heated up together. In a couple of places I went back after pickling/brushing to redo a spot that did not get solder flowed in. Right now it looks like I got everything - visually it looks like full coverage.

Also took some more wood scraps and made up bending forms for the inner and outer firebox sections. Kozo did the bending over pipe sections, but I have had better luck making a full length form from wood (having a lot of offcuts from furniture projects and a bandsaw came in handy!). Next time will show bending up the firebox sections....

Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Busy day - went ahead and formed the rest of the boiler shell sections. The first picture shows the conical forward part of the boiler after one pass, got that far and it work hardened, went back for more annealing. Took two more passes to get it fully formed and trued up.

Second photo shows the second pass on the outer firebox shell - took one more pass after this one to get it formed fully where it transitions back to straight at the bottom.

Third photo shows all the sections as they stand now - I got the conical section soldered up (has a joint strip down the inside just like I showed on the first boiler section the other day).

All the sections are close to fitting together, the joint rings just need a little filing to let the other ring sections to seat tightly so the solder can wick between them. Major progress today, going to be a couple days before I can get back in the shop again.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Now that's really looking the part crueby!!  Really remarkable progress you are making!!

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Boilers are a black art to me  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Boilers are a black art to me  ::)

Thanks! This was the part of the build that had me most nervous - never done a boiler before, but Kozo gives very good instructions in his book, step by step with great drawings.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:17 PM »
Got the fittings for the outer firebox sheet drilled for and soldered in today. Also made the support ribs (rectangular bronze, milled down from round - first photo) that hold the steam bracket base on - this base has the steam manifold and upper engine supports later on, so it requires bracing inside the boiler to take the added weight. Kozo designed it so the manifold is attached directly to the boiler so it gets warmed by it. The ribs were drilled/tapped for screws to hold them in place for soldering.

Second photo shows it all soldered up.

Third photo shows the back plate test fitted - ready for fine tuning the joint with a file to get a tight fit. After that, will fit the middle section of the boiler to the outer firebox and solder them together...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
It just keeps getting better crueby....lovely work!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
Thanks Bill!

Another day, another section on the boiler. Got the outer firebox section and the parallel middle section joined up and silver soldered together today. Took a little filing/tweeking of the joint ring to get it to seat tight, then got the throat piece fitted underneath and screwed to the two sections to hold it all for soldering. Next up is to fit the conical front section on. Actually starting to look like it will be a boiler when it grows up...

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal