Author Topic: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive  (Read 194029 times)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Building Kozo's New Shay locomotive
« Reply #675 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
Great bell there, you'll be making a carillon next. I'm looking forward to hearing it ring! Hugh.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #676 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
Very well done indeed Crueby. Your attention to the detail and excellent explanations of how you do things are great.

A question for you ... do you know what the differences are between Kozo's first Shay book and the New Shay that you are doing?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #677 on: April 16, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
Very well done indeed Crueby. Your attention to the detail and excellent explanations of how you do things are great.

A question for you ... do you know what the differences are between Kozo's first Shay book and the New Shay that you are doing?

Tom

The first shay book was for an earlier style loco, the second one is a 1920, the shape of the boiler is different, the first one has a bigger step in front. The lights, stack are different shaoe, and the trucks are framed simpler in the first oner. I have both books, and flipping through I think the second one has better description of techniques, larger drawings too.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #678 on: April 16, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Got the rest of the bell frame made - another bit of flat stock drilled at the ends and bent to shape for the base, and another length for the lever. (photo 1)

The whistle is pretty straightforward, since it is a dummy one. This one is to scale size, the working one I made earlier is much larger and tucked behind the engine. The working one has a nice deep tone, this one if working would make dogs up the street howl! The body of it is a length of rod drilled and turned to shape, with three mouths filed through into the center hole near the base. It also has a small cap that will be silver soldered in place. (photo 2)

The base is in a couple parts - third photo shows turning the upright, which has a threaded base, a flange, then a top post which will get a short thread on it to go into the body.

Fourth photo shows the whistle all done - the horizontal part and the lever are again just dummy parts - correct outer shape but solid.

The rest of the photos show the bell, whistle, and headlight all in place.

Finally, here is a short video of the bell - has a good ring, though since being so small it is not very loud....
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ab3Hv6X4Ig" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ab3Hv6X4Ig</a>

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #679 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »
Chris-

It just keeps getting better and better.  I really hope that you can get to Cabin Fever with it come January and that I can also make it there so i can see it.

-Bob

Edit reason: Stupid auto correct  on my tablet changed my name to Job!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:28:14 PM by 90LX_Notch »
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #680 on: April 16, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »
Chris-

It just keeps getting better and better.  I really hope that you can get to Cabin Fever with it come January and that I can also make it there so i can see it.

-Job

I am hoping to be there next time. A lot will depend on the weather that week - hope for a milder storm season than this past one!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #681 on: April 17, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Crueby, Thank You for the explanation of the two versions of this engine. Does Kozo give a Module or Dp size for the gears on the first Shay?

Love the wee bell ... just super.

Tom

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #682 on: April 17, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
Crueby, Thank You for the explanation of the two versions of this engine. Does Kozo give a Module or Dp size for the gears on the first Shay?

Love the wee bell ... just super.

Tom

The gears are shown as module 1, 20 and 40 tooth. He gives part numbers to buy them from suppliers and modify the posts. For mine, I adapted them to the .75 module cutters I have and made my own, much cheaper and more fun.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #683 on: April 17, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
Thanks Again. I have the Module .8 cutters that he calls for in a couple of his other books. I will experiment and see what I come up with.

Tom

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #684 on: April 17, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
Next up on the Shay is the generator - this sits on top of the boiler in front of the cab, and uses a steam turnbine to make electricity. Like the small whistle, this is a dummy part - looks right but does not function. The main body of it was turned out of a chunk of brass bar stock - lots of steps in with the parting tool, plus some filing for the rounded parts. (photo 1)

Second photo shows it after parting off.

After the main body, made up the mounting brackets (used rotary table to make the arc to match the body) plus made up the other little bits like the exhaust stack, all silver soldered together. (photos 3 and 4). A coat of paint and it will be ready to mount on top of the boiler - there is a mounting stud built into the boiler shell to take a bolt for it.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #685 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
Just beautiful metal carving  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #686 on: April 18, 2015, 02:41:49 AM »
I'll second what Eric said.  That is beautiful.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #687 on: April 18, 2015, 02:46:44 AM »
Thanks guys. I always like doing that kind of freestyle work in brass, like whittling on a lathe. No critical dimensions to fit another part, so can just go till it looks right.  :stir:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #688 on: April 20, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »
A little more whittling on the lathe, and the compressor is made. It is a set of simple parts, mostly bolted together (couple little ones silver soldered). None of the parts are complicated, but the assembly looks pretty neat. It will get painted, then bolted onto the left side running board, along with some piping to the cab and smokebox.

Next to make are the toolbox and air tank....

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #689 on: April 21, 2015, 12:15:59 AM »
Next to make are the toolbox and air tank....

Complete with tools I hope :)

The compressor and generator look great btw.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal