Author Topic: Repairing a bandsaw blade  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Repairing a bandsaw blade
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »
Hi

There is never a good time for the bandsaw to break its blade is there. Its sunday afternoon and bang :ShakeHead: A quick search of the shed and no spare can be found :disappointed: I have repaired my blades a few times so thought I would show you. The repair doesn't last as long as the original weld ( which is where mine always seem to break) but usually long enough to get the job done while a new one is ordered. I was a bit sceptical when I first saw this done on youtube so my jig is a bit rough and ready, I'll make a new one one day  ::)

The jig needs to hold the blade securely thats all. The blade has to be ground on each end to make a scarf joint.

Apply some flux and a bit of silver solder and heat up.

Allow to cool and clean up the joint with a rotary tool

back in business, it will last long enough to get the job done.

Cheers

Rich

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: Repairing a bandsaw blade
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Rich,
Your brazing jig looks the same as mine as far a function goes.  I buy 100 foot rolls of saw blade stock and silver braze all of my blades and never have joint breakage problems.  I use 56% silver brazing wire. 

For me the key to getting good joints was getting a good fitting scarf joint. I built up a simple jig to hold the blades to grind the joint on my belt sander. Here is a link to the details of it.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f13/does-anyone-weld-their-own-band-saw-blades-260/#post14006

When I have blades with stripped out teeth in a short section I save them ans splice in a good section of one to replace a bad section in another. Yes, I am cheap.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
Gail I prefer the line "judicious use of cash' :Lol: I do as much as I can on a limited income so prefer repair than to replace.
I am looking at bulk purchase of blade at the moment as I destroyed my first bi-metal blade and had to wait while a replacement was sought, which at the time I got a Starret bi-metal from the states cheaper than I could locally including shipping though at the time our dollar was above parity with yours. The good ol' days  (post GFC) :lolb:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »
Hi

There is some mention there of bi metal blades. Are they any good? They are about 4 times the price of normal blades.

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal