Engines > From Kits/Castings

Rider-Ericsson ľ scale - Hot Air and Pumped!

(1/57) > >>

sshire:
Rider Ericsson ľ scale - Hot Air and Pumped!
Episode 1

If you've been around the forums for sometime, it seems that a particular engine gets built ( or, at least started) at the same time by many members. A few years ago, it appeared as if everyone was building an elbow engine. Then there were the Rockers and the MEM Corliss.
At Cabin Fever, I saw many R/E Pumping Engines. Seems like there was one one at every other table. Not wanting to be left out, here's a start on another Rider Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine.  
I've spent the last month aging the castings while the new lathe was put in place and I've now stopped reaching where the controls used to be on the "old" lathe.
I read Bill Lindsey's "How To Build the Rider Ericsson" posts and Bob's "Here's How to Machine a R/E if you actually know what you're doing" about a dozen times and made notes ("Pay attention. This WILL be on the quiz")

So I made a toolholder rack, built drawers for the shop, rearranged and polished my 5C collets, put the Wiha tools in size order, Windexed the safety glasses, swept the shop floor, made some shelves for the lathe's base cabinet, "learned" how to single-point thread, welded some hanging plant brackets. I think I was avoiding making the first chips. $300 castings are scary when youíve never built anything but bar stock engines, but you've got to jump in sometime. 

Richie, my UPS guy, left this at the door.



I think itís a rule that any engine built from castings must show a family photo.



I trammed the mill, indicated the vise and gave the Bijur oiler a pump, so, off we go.





Some fettling to remove the flash from the base, then, the tall vise jaws get installed.



First, milling away the gate from the base casting. I wanted to be sure that I had a reasonable surface for the vise to grab when the bottom of the casting was milled.



Then, once both edges were clean, the bottom was milled flat with a 45į face mill. 





Then, flipping the part over to mill the cylinder mounting face and the pad for the flywheel bracket.  The drawings spec a 0.63" height for both of these surfaces.



The legs get their turn tomorrow. I also ordered the required needle bearings (Torrington B-88 needle bearings). There was a bit of confusion until I found that Torrington had been acquired by Koyo and the Koyo B-88 is the same bearing. Actually, Torrington was acquired by Ingersoll-Rand, who later sold it to Timken, who sold it to JTEKT in Japan, who created Koyo USA. You canít tell the players without a program.

vcutajar:
Great start Stan on your first casting kit.  I remember my first casting (also first engine).  It felt intimidating.

So how long do you reckon it is going to take to finish it?  Three weeks?

Vince

b.lindsey:
Another one I will definitely be watching Stan!!  Great start and I love that facing mill you have. I've seen you use it numerous times now and it seems to give great results. Looking forward to seeing the new lathe in action as well!!

Bill

sshire:
Vince
This is going to be a long build. I'm double-checking every dimension in the drawings to be sure before I remove any metal. Four weeks.  :lolb:

Bill
The Glacern Face Mill is one of my favorites. With SEHW inserts I get a mirror finish on aluminum and brass. With SEHT inserts, cast iron and steel get hogged off pretty fast.

Kim:
Hey Stan,
I'm excited to watch your Rider-Ericsson build come along.  Not to sound completely predictable, but this engine is on my short list too! :)
I'll be taking notes!   :popcorn:
Kim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version