Author Topic: What's In The Box **** A New Toy For Whiskey  (Read 18774 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: What's In The Box **** A New Toy For Whiskey
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Thanks guys. Tonight its a fine Russian tater juice >:D

Whiskey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of juniper Berry's.....what ever it takes
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 11:35:55 PM »
That's a bummer Eric,

I hope it all works out, having a surface grinder that produces a crappy finish isn't much good. Hopefully Papa Griz gets it sorted out for you.

Dave

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
Juniper berries, oh my, they make a man do  BAD things :lolb: :mischief: :Jester:. Dave O, exactly, that's the reason I bought a surface grinder was for the finish. Now y'all explain this ABC's of grinding wheels to me.

Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:48 PM »
Dam my brother, I thought you had that all taken care of. Bummer that you have to cry to them to get a motor from them. I hope that's the only problem you have with it. Of coarse the new motor will give us an answer. Stay cool my brother it will pass.

Don

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:58 AM »
This isn't a new marketing issue  :facepalm:

Many years ago I purchased my first 1/4 HP bench mounted 3/8 chuck capacity pedestal drill

Opened the box to find an additional 1/4 HP motor marked 240/50...... :slap:

OK that made sense for OZ electricity rang the sales agent only to be told.......

"Some drills were fitted with unmarked motors that were actually wound for 110/60  ...    & the motors may burn out when started for the first time :zap:....so we have included a replacement 240/50 motor just in case"  :ThumbsDown: .....Derek
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:19:21 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »
I am hoping the motor is all that's the matter Whiskey. For grinding applications they obviously need to be well balanced or the best spindle in the world will transmit some vibration. Keep us posted once the new motor comes in and is in place.

Bill

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 01:39:47 AM »
You did good with the warranty Eric.

Several years ago when I was in UK, JohnSom (HMEM) gave me one of the pens he had made. When it ran out of ink a couple of months ago, I rang him to complain and was told that the 30/30 warranty was 30 seconds or 30 paces whichever came first!

Jim

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »
Too bad about the motor, but hopefully the new one will do the trick. I heard somewhere (maybe on HSM or possibly DIYelectricCar) that the Chinese admit to not making very good motors. But there always seem to be many brand name motors on eBay for quite cheap, although mostly I have been looking at three phase. They are probably your best bet anyway, along with a VFD that will work on single phase. A good three phase motor should have very little torque ripple, and with good bearings and a balanced rotor, there should be practically no vibration.  8)

Soon you will be grinding metal, and not your teeth!  :cheers:

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
Just thought I would give y'all a little update. I awoke this morning to a shipping confirmation from good old Grizzy. It left WA. state last night and is expected to arrive by end of day June 30. Boys, that's 17 days since I reported the problem. I ain't a real happy camper with old papa Grizz (if you're reading). You would think they might have sprung for a little extra on the shipping, but, oh no, good old UPS ground. I sure hopes this fixes it.

Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »
That's pretty slow Eric, but look at it from the positive side...at least it ain't coming over on a slow boat from China :)

Bill

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
Well, me being a sharing person, I thought I'd share some of my misery with y'all. I got the new motor yesterday and now because it's quieter I can hear all the vibration and noise coming from the machine. You can feel it even down in the heavy cast iron base and all the way up to the Z feed hand wheel. I got on the phone with tech support and since my shop is a metal building, cell service sucks and you have to stand near a window. Well, I left the grinder running and ask the tech if he could hear that noise. He said yeah, but, please don't tell me that's the grinder I'm hearing. You are darn tooting it is and he couldn't believe it, then he really freaked out when I told him I was 12 feet away from the machine. They pulled the motor off of a new grinder in stock at their Wa. warehouse, so, now it looks like they are going to be robbing it's spindle also. The saga continues.

Whiskey

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
  :toilet_claw:

Maybe you need to do a few odds and ends on your model rather than fighting with these   :Doh: tools

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 10:36:37 AM »
You must have espn2 Jo :lolb: :lolb: I did get the quarter horse put back together and running after it's paint job had been curing for awhile. I hope to get it on a base this week and I'll post it in the showcase.

Big E

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
Well Whiskey

You are a far more patient man than I am , That grinder would have been wheeled out side, supplier rang up and told in no uncertain terms come and fetch it back at their expense , my cash is perfect so should the new machine

Here in the UK you can make life difficult with guarantee claims for a refund if you accept a repair , not sure about the lemon law in the States

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal