Author Topic: What's In The Box **** A New Toy For Whiskey  (Read 18910 times)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: What's In The Box **** A New Toy For Whiskey
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
Sweet, a new BBQ with a traversing hotplate!  :ThumbsUp:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline kvom

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
I have an older 6x18 manual grinder I've been using a lot in the past weeks.  Obviously having the motorized feeds and coolant will make things easier and better using that.  FWIW I've been grinding castings, typically .002" material removal each pass with a .050" stepover, and then a finish pass of .0005" with a .025" stepover.  With coolant you can take off more at a time without burning the metal.

Turning the cranks is time consuming, but I do get in a sort of rhythm doing it.  Would love yours.

Offline lakc

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »
If I have to spend another weekend down in Smyrna I will have to look you up! For awhile there, I was calling the Fairfield inn my second home, but not so many trips in the last year.
Jeff

Offline DavidF

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
Damn,  I was really hoping for a new still...I promised some friends of mine some "hot apple pie" for christmas.....

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
Yo Redneck,

I might have missed the prize, but you sure didn't :ThumbsUp: Great buy of what looks to be a very nice machine.  :NotWorthy:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Oh boy! I take my eyes off the thread for a day and what happens?  Whiskey gets a new toy!

It will be a great new addition to the workshop and I now look forward to  see what you do with it.

Good onya Eric.

Jim

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
I can only add to the envy. Better than 5BA taps, but only just! Hugh.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2014, 03:39:15 AM »
Sweet, a new BBQ with a traversing hotplate!  :ThumbsUp:

so did you send him frozen roo fillets to try it out? Just don't send it via Malaysian airlines  :Jester:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
Yes, I'm still around. I've been kinda quiet lately, with just a short post here and there, but, I still read every post, every day, and that ain't no poop. Let me calmly, and I stress CALMLY :Mad: :cussing: :hammerbash: :DrinkPint: :cheers: :Mad: :cussing:, tell y'all about the grinder. That SOB is dead in the water. I've had trouble with surface finish since day one. At first I thought it was just because I hadn't run a grinder for 36 years. Then I relearned how to dress a wheel and not polish or burnish it (Hey, I wanted it super smooth). Then I followed the guide, or thought I did in the Enco book when I ordered grinding wheels, only to be told I was all wrong. I still ain't sure on that one, but hey, I'm hardheaded. Neither here nor there, when my BIL  ( a retired T&D maker)came to visit, I wanted him to grind the chuck in. After the "WHEEL NONO" speech, he finally selected a wheel, balanced and dressed it, and set to work. The first thing he said when he turned it on was; "Is it always this loud?" Three passes and he says; this thing is skipping so bad I can't grind this chuck. AH HA, it wasn't just me. Damn thing has terrible vibration, transmitting to the grinding medium. First call to dear old papagrizz, I'm told to separate motor and run. Motor has a good bit of vibration, especially when coasting to a stop. Spindle feels really smooth and shows not a frogs' hair of runout. Last Monday was told new motor was shipping out.  After several phone calls with dear old Grizzly, just moments ago I was told one was happily winging it's way from the factory, YEP IN CHINA :zap: :cussing: :DrinkPint: :Doh: and it should arrive here in about 10 days. To use a phrase of a member ,"Constrain my trembling hands" . I'll just let y'all pick it up from here, I think you know what direction I'm headed and Hell, it's Friday :cheers: :DrinkPint: :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »
Sorry to hear of this news with your new toy.  Hope the replacement motor works better.

Vince

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that bud......Let me know If I can help.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »
Well, that sucks, but I think, given a choice, I'd vote for bad motor over bad spindle. Still sucks. Have another beer.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
A little update. After explaining to the guy who I talked to today that I was trying really hard to be as polite as they were, it was getting pretty hard. Well I'll be Steamer's brother if they didn't call back and say they were shipping one from the Wa. facility and I should have it first of the week. I'm betting they pulled the one off of the display unit.

Whiskey

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
In the interest of soothing the savage beast, I just bought a nice, shiny, new motor from the American dealer for my little lathe. It says "Made in India" on the plate.
Have a nice day.
Open another beer.
Mosey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
Yup!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal