Author Topic: My First Engine (s) - Another Elmer's Standby  (Read 16935 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: My First Engine (s) - Another Elmer's Standby
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Success, :whoohoo:

Yes the jaws do reverse.  Once I realised you now need to put no.3 in first, followed by no.2 then no.1.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
Good to hear Colin. That should help with handling somewhat larger diameter pieces now  :cartwheel:

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
Colin, you are not the only one who got caught out with that one when I got my later Cowells (C2) I was very disappointed to find the Bison chuck only had the one set of jaws. Until it dawned on me   :facepalm2: it was the same as the earlier machine and we only need one set  :pinkelephant:

Sherline shows a 3 jaw for Cowells but that list the thread as 14 x 1 rather than 14 x 1.5. Not sure why the difference  :thinking:

Bill

Bill, the earlier Cowells like my C1 have the M14 by 1.5mm thread the later ones have the more common M14 by 1.0mm thread. Which means you can make use of accessories from other makers and if use a back plate other accessories like the Sherline 4 jaw self centring chuck  :Love: can be fitted

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:53 PM »
Slowly but surely another few bits have been made.  Bearings, another flywheel, screws for conrod to crank disc, and after much aggro the two crank disc's.  I decided in my wisdom to turn the crank disc and part of to size on the Cowells lathe.  This went reasonably well.

I then mounted them on the new 2 3/4 inch rotary table on Cowells Mill to drill the crankshaft hole and the hole for the connecting rod screw.  Again this went relatively well.  I made a couple of hold down clamps which did their job, and used edge finder in conjunction with DRO's to drill the two holes required.

Small 2 3/4" Rotary table shown below.  Quite impressed with it.  Very little backlash

Unfortunately I had not thought too far ahead and was now left with the problem of holding the disk to mill the two side of the disk away. and also the issue of centralising the disk under the drill.  The centre of the rotary table has a 5.4mm diameter bore so I turned a spindle between centres to fit the bore and then reduced one end down and used die to put unc 3x48 thread on it, to match that on connecting rod screw.  I screwed the disk on to the thread and inserted it in the bore.  Because I had left the remainder of the centre drilled hole in the shaft I was then able to put same centre drill in chuck and zeroise the DRO.  Partially clamped the disk and aligned the crank shaft hole with the Y axis and the threaded hole.  So far so good..  I had put a piece of thin MDF under the disk to be a sacrificial base and then used one of the clamps to hold the disk.  Thinking erroneously that this would be enough to hold it to mill a piece of soft brass.  No such luck, as soon as the cutter had radiused the end by the crankshaft screw it all moved.

Back to the drawing board, this time I still used the threaded shaft I had made, but used a sacrificial plate of 1/8" aluminium bar, drilled to take the bar, and also drilled and tapped M4 for a screw through the centre of the crankdisk..  This whole assembly was then bolted to the rotary table.

If you look at the left hand side of the disk you will see the butchered radius from the first attempt.  This was a lot more successful and picture below shows the milled crankdisk.

The second was a lot easier than  the first but trying to keep track of the DRO readings as the item was rotated through 180 was a tad difficult.

The end result is show below with the connecting rod and screw.

All the bits so far.

All need now is two crankshafts, two pistons and two cylinders, and lots and lots of good luck.

Any comments or thoughts, good or bad gratefully received.

In fact just remembered an issue I had doing the screwdriver slots in the two screws. I had some new small 2 1/4" diameter slitting saw blades with a 5/8" hole.  So made an arbor to fit 3/8" collet in the Cowells Mill.

The blades really appeared to struggle to cut the slot in the silver steel rod I had used for the screw.  It was really singing and occasionally producing sparks ( not good in home office :( ).  It took a long time to produce two piddling little slots.  The blades are marked E.S.C. HSS 045.  What might (am) I doing wrong.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
What speed were you using Colin?

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Bill,

Its a bit difficult to know.  The Cowells has a variable speed drive which can be varied between 40 and 4000rpm.  I guess I was pretty close to max speed.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »
I would say speed is the issue then. The Sparks are NOT a good sign either. I run slotting saws very slow to avoid heat buildup which can destroy the teeth...something along the order of 120-150 rpm depending on size material, number of teeth etc.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for that response.  I will have a play with the same blade initially at a much lower speed and then try another blade, if it looks as though it is too damaged.  Visually it looks Ok, certainly no heat marks, but very tips of teeth are maybe not quite as sharp as they were.

Thanks again,

Colin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:43 AM »
Hi Collin

I usually figure about 120 SFM for HSS cutters in steel. You were probable running over 2K SFM :hellno:. That cutter should be running closer to 200 RPM.

Little Machine shop has a pretty good online resource and speed calculator for cutting feeds and speeds.

http://littlemachineshop.com/reference/cuttingspeeds.php#Milling

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:09:11 AM by Dave Otto »

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
Some good progress  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: What make is your small rotary table?
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
Roger,

The Rotary table came from Rotagrip in Birmingham, but I believe several of the other usual suppliers sell the same model.

Rgds,

Colin

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Thank you Colin,

It looked to be more nicely finished than my RC one:

http://www.rc-machines.com/en/clamping/tables/turn-tables/rotary-table-o-75-mm-warm-gear-ratio-361

However it does not seem to be able to be vertically mounted (without an angle plate).
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
Roger,

No it cannot be mounted vertically, but this was not a concern as I do have a index head and a dividing head for the Cowells both of which can be used vertically.  There is not a huge amount of headroom on the Cowells Mill which is why I went for this model, it is only 40mm high.

Rgds,

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Well I thought I was doing well. Managed to make two crank shafts.  Used the index head on the Cowells Mil with Collet Chuck (Thanks Jo) and a 2mm end mill to do the small slot and then did 1/16" hole for air feed.  Rotated index head 180 and did the larger slot.

Quite pleased with these, they both spun nicely in the bearing.

Assembled to show some progress.

Now onto the cylinders,  I had some 1/2" x 3/4" aluminium bar.  Decided to thin it down on the Cowells rather than the bigger mill, this wasted several hours, but gave me a nice finish.  Things were going well.  Up to now.  I then had to reduce the length but I MISREAD the drawing and took them both down to 15/16" not 1". :censored: :toilet_claw:  I now have two beautifully shaped blocks, but there no use to man nor beast.

Thinning the next pair down will be done of the bigger machine to speed things up.  GRRRR.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
Bummer on the misread length Colin, but it happens to us all. The assembly pictures are looking really nice though.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal