Author Topic: My First Engine (s) - Another Elmer's Standby  (Read 16760 times)

Online Twizseven

My First Engine (s) - Another Elmer's Standby
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

Having watched Arnolds thread on building Elmer's Standby engine.  I decide it was about time to try and build my first engine.  I had picked up the plans and stock material last year at Warwickshire Model Engineering Exhibition and just put on one side.  Had a choice of jobs to start:- rebuild  a Stent Tool and Cutter grinder or finish Geo Thomas Universal Pillar Tool.  Decide I ought to try an engine.  Decided to build two, if they come out OK, one for each daughter, or if only get one good one, the other goes in scrap heap.

First of  out with the Kennedy Hacksaw and cut some bits to size.

An hour later had lots of little bits. 

I did not have any 1/8 by 1/4 to make the conrods so carefully hacksawed by hand two thin slices off the brass strip which was to be used for the main body.  These came out at about 3/8" so moved them to mill to get them to correct dimension and parallel. In order to hold them in small vertex vice I made a single parallel about 5 thou short of 1/4" width  (Excel surface grinder came in handy for this) and then skimmed both side of each conrod blank.

Then marked them out and decided to drill holes for big and little end's.  Not having suitable reamers I started out with 0.7mm drill as a pilot and then worked up in several stages to required dimensions.  I decide that the Mill was too large to carry out this task and so used small Proxxon Mill/Drill.  Lots of speed and easy to peck drill to start off.

Although I have a ML7 with DRO's I felt happier doing such small bits on my new toy. (Cowells ME90).  So fitted 4 jaw chuck, centralised the brass section using a small centre and Verdict gauge.  Then proceeded to cut the taper.  No pictures of this.  It was a bit messy not having the correct tools at this point in time.  First time ever cut a taper, but it appeared to look OK.  Then partially parted off at each end of the rod.  Removed from lathe and then repeated on second rod.

Next step was to thin down the little end to 3/32".  Put rod on surface plate and scribed the minute amount need to be removed, then went back to the Proxxon Mill/Drill.  By using the previously made parallel I was able to support the rod so it was about 20 thou proud of the vice, fitted new 6mm end mill in collet chuck and remove required material.  Flipped rod over and repeated for other side.  Then repeated for 2nd rod.

Next stage was to radius small ends.  Used the same trick as ArnoldB and put shank of 1/16" drill through end, rested drill on top of vice and milled top off and gradually swung the rod to do the complete end.

Finally ended up with two rods as in picture.  Quite pleased ;D.  No disasters so far.

Next bit will be base and stand, but will be a few days.

Thoughts:  Like the Cowells, but it needs more toys (QCTP) and 6mm tooling
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:00:19 PM by Twizseven »

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
Re: My First Engine (s) - Another Elmer's Standby
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
Nice start Colin  :ThumbsUp:

Those are basically the hardest-to-make parts of the engine(s) done  ;)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »
Arnold,

Thank you.  I though they looked the hardest and so a good place to start

Before I do the base and stand I decided to make a vice end stop.  Doing this based on Bogstandards very good write up.  So far I have drilled the vice and about to start on the support stud.

Before I put the vice back on I thought I might as well tram up the mill.  X axis was not too hard to do once I remembered the head on miler had three bolts not two :hammerbash:.  It was out quite a lot (8 thou in 5 inches).  I have a Edge Technology Pro-tram device.  Trouble is the machine was out on Y axis by about the same amount.  This was quite a bit harder to do. The whole pillar is bolted to base by 4 x 24mm bolts.  Slackening them off was not to bad, but it was a two man job to pull whole head and pillar forward to put feeler gauges in centre of front and rear bolts as a pivot to be able to rock the pillar back and forth.  One I could do this I had a selection of sizes of Plasti-shim and cut a 3/4" x 12" section starting at 25 thou to insert under front of pillar.  Tighten up, check, still out, try 20thou shim,  still out, try 15thou, still out.  Eventually with a 10thou shim it was as close as I was going to get.  ;D 1/2 thou out in 5".  At least I wont have to do that job ever again.  Well at least not on the Y axis.

Regards,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:57:20 AM »
Good start there Colin, nice to see you jumping right in on an engine. The tooling will come along, it just takes time to make, buy, or collect the seemingly never-ending things you need (or think you need) :)

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
Finally managed to get some time again.  I have managed to do a 'Jo' and finally have a house lathe and a house mill.  I have managed to persuade the other half to let me put them in my upstairs office.   In fact I snook them in and let her get used to them for a day or two.  Built a small unit, with power, shelving and perspex sides to house them which sits on one of my office desks.  Have put a 1/2" layer of heavy foam rubber sheet between the base and the desktop to act as noise/vibration insulation.  Painted it to match the desk and all I have to do now is stop swarf and oil getting on the carpet.  I have all the accessories for the units in a filing cabinet.  The only problem is going back and forwards to workshop for things like drills.  I cannot keep it all in the office.

Decided to try and make the stand.  I am doing this in brass, got it all marked out and then started to drill.  Started with the bearing hole which should be 5/16" dia.  Started with a tiny centre drill to start the hole and then switched to a 1/4" and finally a 5/16".  I had tried to back of the cutting edge of the drill so it did not snatch whilst drilling the brass.  Obviously did not get this quite right because it drilled abysmally and was very noisy.  Reverted to a std drill without any issues, but the bore is not perfect even though finished it off with a 5/16 reamer.  The bearing bush will definitely need to be made to match the bore.

Then drilled a 1/4" hole to provide a radius to mill up to for the leg of the stand.

Next picture shows centre drilling the second hole for cylinder mounting screws

Having successfully completed the four cylinder mounting holes and the port hole I moved on the the 1 & 7/16" deep hole 1/16" diameter.  This was a fun task, slowly peck drilling, winding drill out every 1/16 or so to clear the swarf and lubricate the hole.  I was absolutely amazed when it came out dead centre in the correct location.  I think using a good quality drill helped (Dormer HSS TIN tippped).  This can be seen in next two photos.

I then drilled and tapped the two holes in the base #2.56.

Before I mill away the waste material to form the leg of the stand I will drill the second stand that I am doing.  I am making a pair of these engines and hopefully one will work.

I do like the Cowells mill but I think it will end up with a set of DRO's fitted.  Possibly the small magnetic scales as fitted to crosslide's on the ML7 and Colchester Student.  I have been looking at the Android based DRO (Yuri's toys) which looks quite good as I have an Android tablet I could use.  Is there anyone out there with a Cowells mill with DRO's fitted?

Might get some bits done over xmas. but have to get around 100 wireless access point mounting brackets made, lots of Unistrut to cut and ally sheet to cut, drill/punch/fold.

Have a good Christmas.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
That's quite a nice "house" set-up Colin. Are the mill and lathe new? If not they definitely don't look too old. Nice work on the stand too!!

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Bill,

The lathe is around mid 1980's but I only bought it earlier this year on Ebay.  The milling machine I had for a few months, It was bought new by a guy in Ireland in  2012, who due to illness sold it via his brother in the UK (via an add on the MEW website).  Both are in excellent condition and I have pretty well all the accessories for both of them.  Just need to learn to use them.

Colin

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
That's a nice 'house' set up and some good work  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :popcorn:  :DrinkPint:
Best regards

Roger

Offline vascon2196

• "a good craftsman never blames his tools"
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
Great job with this build...those Elmer's engines are awesome!
Chris from Southeastern Massachusetts

"a good craftsman never blames his tools"

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
Good going Colin  :ThumbsUp:

Nice house setup as well - and there's some of those books that are extremely familiar...

Kind regards, Arnold
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
Arnold,

Don't tend to use the books to much now.  Been in IT since 1969.  IBM Mainframe operator, then Cobol programming, then training school, then IT support.  Then out on my own on contract as Senior IT support technician, then network manager.  Gradually moved into wireless and now I just do wireless site surveys of big warehouse and factories, then install and commission all the wireless hardware.  Used primarily for barcode scanning. Hit 65 in 2015 but will most likely carry on for another year.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Regards,

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
A little bit further over last couple of days as and when could fit time in - very slow and steady.

Now have pair of bases and pair of stands and one 90% complete flywheel  to go with existing pair of conrods. :)

Only problem doing flywheel is that my 3 jaw chuck on the Cowells does not have any external jaws  :( so it made it quite awkward facing the second side.  Looks as though I'm going to have to find another 3 jaw chuck. M14x1.5 fitting.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »
Only problem doing flywheel is that my 3 jaw chuck on the Cowells does not have any external jaws 

The jaws on both the Bison and earlier three jaw Cowells chucks are reversible  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »
Jo,

I have attached photo of the chuck.  I have not tried to reverse the jaws but guessed that due to the radius on the outside steps of the jaws they would not work in reverse.

I will happily be proved wrong.

Does the part number on the chuck look like a Cowells part no.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
Colin, my sherline chuck has that radius on the jaws also but is still reversible. That doesn't guarantee that yours can be reversed but doesn't preclude it either. Sherline shows a 3 jaw for Cowells but that list the thread as 14 x 1 rather than 14 x 1.5. Not sure why the difference  :thinking:

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Success, :whoohoo:

Yes the jaws do reverse.  Once I realised you now need to put no.3 in first, followed by no.2 then no.1.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
Good to hear Colin. That should help with handling somewhat larger diameter pieces now  :cartwheel:

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
Colin, you are not the only one who got caught out with that one when I got my later Cowells (C2) I was very disappointed to find the Bison chuck only had the one set of jaws. Until it dawned on me   :facepalm2: it was the same as the earlier machine and we only need one set  :pinkelephant:

Sherline shows a 3 jaw for Cowells but that list the thread as 14 x 1 rather than 14 x 1.5. Not sure why the difference  :thinking:

Bill

Bill, the earlier Cowells like my C1 have the M14 by 1.5mm thread the later ones have the more common M14 by 1.0mm thread. Which means you can make use of accessories from other makers and if use a back plate other accessories like the Sherline 4 jaw self centring chuck  :Love: can be fitted

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:53 PM »
Slowly but surely another few bits have been made.  Bearings, another flywheel, screws for conrod to crank disc, and after much aggro the two crank disc's.  I decided in my wisdom to turn the crank disc and part of to size on the Cowells lathe.  This went reasonably well.

I then mounted them on the new 2 3/4 inch rotary table on Cowells Mill to drill the crankshaft hole and the hole for the connecting rod screw.  Again this went relatively well.  I made a couple of hold down clamps which did their job, and used edge finder in conjunction with DRO's to drill the two holes required.

Small 2 3/4" Rotary table shown below.  Quite impressed with it.  Very little backlash

Unfortunately I had not thought too far ahead and was now left with the problem of holding the disk to mill the two side of the disk away. and also the issue of centralising the disk under the drill.  The centre of the rotary table has a 5.4mm diameter bore so I turned a spindle between centres to fit the bore and then reduced one end down and used die to put unc 3x48 thread on it, to match that on connecting rod screw.  I screwed the disk on to the thread and inserted it in the bore.  Because I had left the remainder of the centre drilled hole in the shaft I was then able to put same centre drill in chuck and zeroise the DRO.  Partially clamped the disk and aligned the crank shaft hole with the Y axis and the threaded hole.  So far so good..  I had put a piece of thin MDF under the disk to be a sacrificial base and then used one of the clamps to hold the disk.  Thinking erroneously that this would be enough to hold it to mill a piece of soft brass.  No such luck, as soon as the cutter had radiused the end by the crankshaft screw it all moved.

Back to the drawing board, this time I still used the threaded shaft I had made, but used a sacrificial plate of 1/8" aluminium bar, drilled to take the bar, and also drilled and tapped M4 for a screw through the centre of the crankdisk..  This whole assembly was then bolted to the rotary table.

If you look at the left hand side of the disk you will see the butchered radius from the first attempt.  This was a lot more successful and picture below shows the milled crankdisk.

The second was a lot easier than  the first but trying to keep track of the DRO readings as the item was rotated through 180 was a tad difficult.

The end result is show below with the connecting rod and screw.

All the bits so far.

All need now is two crankshafts, two pistons and two cylinders, and lots and lots of good luck.

Any comments or thoughts, good or bad gratefully received.

In fact just remembered an issue I had doing the screwdriver slots in the two screws. I had some new small 2 1/4" diameter slitting saw blades with a 5/8" hole.  So made an arbor to fit 3/8" collet in the Cowells Mill.

The blades really appeared to struggle to cut the slot in the silver steel rod I had used for the screw.  It was really singing and occasionally producing sparks ( not good in home office :( ).  It took a long time to produce two piddling little slots.  The blades are marked E.S.C. HSS 045.  What might (am) I doing wrong.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
What speed were you using Colin?

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Bill,

Its a bit difficult to know.  The Cowells has a variable speed drive which can be varied between 40 and 4000rpm.  I guess I was pretty close to max speed.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »
I would say speed is the issue then. The Sparks are NOT a good sign either. I run slotting saws very slow to avoid heat buildup which can destroy the teeth...something along the order of 120-150 rpm depending on size material, number of teeth etc.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for that response.  I will have a play with the same blade initially at a much lower speed and then try another blade, if it looks as though it is too damaged.  Visually it looks Ok, certainly no heat marks, but very tips of teeth are maybe not quite as sharp as they were.

Thanks again,

Colin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:43 AM »
Hi Collin

I usually figure about 120 SFM for HSS cutters in steel. You were probable running over 2K SFM :hellno:. That cutter should be running closer to 200 RPM.

Little Machine shop has a pretty good online resource and speed calculator for cutting feeds and speeds.

http://littlemachineshop.com/reference/cuttingspeeds.php#Milling

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:09:11 AM by Dave Otto »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
Some good progress  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: What make is your small rotary table?
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
Roger,

The Rotary table came from Rotagrip in Birmingham, but I believe several of the other usual suppliers sell the same model.

Rgds,

Colin

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Thank you Colin,

It looked to be more nicely finished than my RC one:

http://www.rc-machines.com/en/clamping/tables/turn-tables/rotary-table-o-75-mm-warm-gear-ratio-361

However it does not seem to be able to be vertically mounted (without an angle plate).
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
Roger,

No it cannot be mounted vertically, but this was not a concern as I do have a index head and a dividing head for the Cowells both of which can be used vertically.  There is not a huge amount of headroom on the Cowells Mill which is why I went for this model, it is only 40mm high.

Rgds,

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Well I thought I was doing well. Managed to make two crank shafts.  Used the index head on the Cowells Mil with Collet Chuck (Thanks Jo) and a 2mm end mill to do the small slot and then did 1/16" hole for air feed.  Rotated index head 180 and did the larger slot.

Quite pleased with these, they both spun nicely in the bearing.

Assembled to show some progress.

Now onto the cylinders,  I had some 1/2" x 3/4" aluminium bar.  Decided to thin it down on the Cowells rather than the bigger mill, this wasted several hours, but gave me a nice finish.  Things were going well.  Up to now.  I then had to reduce the length but I MISREAD the drawing and took them both down to 15/16" not 1". :censored: :toilet_claw:  I now have two beautifully shaped blocks, but there no use to man nor beast.

Thinning the next pair down will be done of the bigger machine to speed things up.  GRRRR.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
Bummer on the misread length Colin, but it happens to us all. The assembly pictures are looking really nice though.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 11:39:01 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the comments.

Well I made another pair of blocks today.  Milled the first 1/8" off using the Chester Superlux mill but finished off to final 9/16" with the Cowells.

Next task was to get them into the four jaw chuck and centralised on bore centre.  No problems with this just took my time.  Started with a centre drill and then on with 1/8", 1/4", 3/16", 1/4" and then 5/16" drills.  The Cowells does not have anough length to get any bigger drills in to the chuck on tailstock so now onto boring.  Next issue was to find a suitable boring tool bar.  Now onto my only ever second attempt at boring.  Tried a HSS tool which used to be my Dads, but was struggling a bit to clear the side of the bore at depth.  Had a nice 5mm Glanze boring bar but it only had  first three quarters inch of its length at that diameter so off to the grinder and thinned it down for another 3/8".  This now worked great.  Must admit counting up number of turns on the leadscrew began to get a bit boring (excuse the pun), 23 and 3/4 in and then 23 and 3/4's back out, timer and time again.  But got there in the end.  Finished off with large countersink for the champher at entrance to the bore.  Once one completed, the second was a little quicker.

Quite pleased with the finish in the bore and it appears parallel when tested with a 3/8" diameter test piece.

Two cylinders shown above.  Just need to make sure I do not drill into bore when drilling the holes for fixing to the upstand.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
Those look good Colin and the bore finish looks very nice and should be fine as is. I agree counting handwheel turns is repetitive to say the least, but its a tried and true method that any machinist should be capable of in the absence of more modern methods. It keeps us on our toes :)

Bill

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
Coming along really nicely Colin  :ThumbsUp: - the bore finish you got is excellent.

I know you just loosely assembled the engines in the second to last photo, but noticed that you have everything wrong-way around relative to the column...  Just thought I'd point that out - when it comes time to finish drilling the port hole into the bearing and final assembly, having things wrong way around will lead to a bit of heartache.  I've found that it's very good practice to always put things together in the intended positions when playing around even with loose assemblies or mock-ups, as one tends to "learn" the positions of parts rather quickly, and learning them the wrong way around can be a bit of a problem  ;)

Like Bill said, counting turns is a good thing!

Just take some care when drilling the mounting holes - if you have the option of using a depth-stop on your mill, that's a great way to prevent going too far, but once again, the machine dials are your friend.

Looking forward to your next update  :ThumbsUp:

Kind regards, Arnold

Online Twizseven

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 06:42:10 PM »
Arnold, Bill,

Thanks for comments.  I must admit I'd not noticed that I had assembled it on wrong side, but realised once I had done the cylinder.  That is all drilled now.  The Z axis DRO on the Cowells mill was great for this.  Drilled and tapped a hole, then moved to the next one and used the drill chuck as guide for the tap. Just have the pistons to make, soldering of the air feed pipe to the bearing, and final assembling.  This will still take a few weeks fitting in around work and other stuff.

On the topic of counting turns I have a miniature counter with a little arm on it, did think this might be an idea to mount near leadscrew feed handle and let it count for me, its that or fit an X axis DRO to the Cowells ME90 lathe.

Regards.,

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
Finally got a bit further.  Decorating and carpeting, hall, stairs, landing, office, bedroom, kitchen along with work got in the way for last few weeks.

As office was being re-carpeted I had to move absolutely everything out, computers, filing cabinets, desks, work bench and Cowells Mill and lathe out.  Trouble is I can't find anything now I've tidied up.

Finally managed to put pistons on conrods and they appear to be a good fit in the cylinder.  Had to do a bit of relieving around the little end to ensure full range of movement in the piston.  Holding upside down and holding finger over the port the pistons and rods slide out very slowly.  If I pull them there is plenty of suction.

Silver soldering is the next thing to try - bearing and air feed pipe.

I need to shorten some unc 2#56 15mm long screws down to 9mm long.  Any advice on the best way to do this.  Current idea is to very carefully drill and tap a piece of 9mm thick steel, wind screw in and then grind of excess.

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 12:44:17 AM »
Looking good there Colin!!  As to shortening the screws the method you describe should work well and with 9mm through the stock there is plenty to hold the screws straight as you grind off the 6mm excess. If you have a belt sander that might even be better than using a grinder.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
Finally managed to find time to get last few bits finished, other than a wooden base.

First off was the bearing and air feed..  First time ever tried to bed brass and also to solder it.  I did chicken out slightly and follow Arnolds lead and soft soldered rather that silver soldered the joint.

I have got oxy/acetylene kit and have a jewellers welding torch with tiny jets that I can use with it.  The issue with this if not too careful it is possible to melt the brasss,  After realizing I had just slightly melted the hose connector end I turned of the lights and could then see the red glow  (awkward when red/green colourblind).  The two air pipes bent okay.  AS I said I used ordinary resin cored solder, I put a small ring of it round the joint, then fluxed the joint.  I have a bottle of flux I have had around now for 40 plus years.  Bit of heat below the bearing and it flowed nicely.  Doing the second one it flowed a bit too well and blocked the air hole, necessitating melting solder back out and trying again.  Second time successfully

All bits ready for asembly

Then loctited the bearing into the body of the engine and left for hour or so to go off.  Then the fun of continuing the drilling into the bearing down through the frame.  I only had about 3/8" of drill shank to hold in the chuck and to drill through the brass. Had about 1/4" in the chuck, lined it up and drilled very carefully.  Brass plugs then made and fitted to block of the 1/16" hole (loctited these and then punched them in).  Then assembled both engines, picking best fit bits for each engine.

Finally, three views of the engines

Due to major dismantling of my office in the middle of doing these I had forgotten/mislaid the #2-56 unc dome head allen screws I had brought for the engine, and countersunk the body to take the #2-56 unc countersunk screws I had bought initially.  Doesn't look quite as nice with the screws but Heyho.

Now came the interesting bit, would they run.  Bit of 3 in 1 oil; and then stick them on the compressor, quick flick with the finger and away they each went in turn.   :pinkelephant: :whoohoo:

One appears fractionally slower than the other but I guess a few minutes running should cure that.  There are no knocking noises or anything like that, so very pleased.  I've built 20 plus car engines over the years and its nice to keep up record of no failures to start up to this point in time.  I'm sure this will change when I eventually try something significantly more difficult.

Just need to sort out a wooden base for them and a clean bit of hose and a 'T' piece and I can run them together.  Then get two nameplates (Kerry and Gina)

Colin

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
Nicely done  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Well they are running.  Just running them in on a small airbrush compressor.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqna7MluPIM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqna7MluPIM</a>

Not too bad for a first attempt.

Colin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:06:11 PM by Twizseven »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Well done Colin!!  Looks like they are running well at various speeds too.  So now that these are done, what will you tackle next?

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
Bill

Thank you for your comments. 

The one on the right is fractionally stiffer and needs a little flick of the flywheel, but if I set the cranks in the correct position they will both run as soon as the air is turned on.

I quite like the idea of a Webster.  I do have several sets of castings (Stuart half beam, S50 and No.9) but think these had better wait till I have a lot more experience.  The way work appears to be piling in at the moment I cannot see any free time until early next year.  I work for myself and sub contract out putting wireless networks in warehouses and factories.  Was thinking of retiring April next year ( at 66) but cannot see that happening maybe for another year.

Regards,

Colin

PS Webster has now been superceded.  Now have a Minnie Traction engine to complete.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:43:04 PM by Twizseven »

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
A bit late - Nicely done Colin  :ThumbsUp:

Looking forward to the Minnie.

Kind regards, Arnold

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 04:18:25 AM »
I'm glad both came out so well. With two daughters that's handy.  :ThumbsUp:

Online Twizseven

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »
Arnold,
Thank you.  The Minnie is a different kettle of fish.  It has been through several peoples hands since being started in around 1999.  It is almost complete but has been partially painted in cellulose paint.  I don't think this will last if I manage to eventually fire it on coal, so I guess I'm going to have to strip the paint off and find something a bit more heat resistant.  I'm not sure what to use.  I guess something link Sperex might work but I'm open to advice.  I have to check through all the bits to see what is missing. I know I have to make all the ash pan and damper assembly,  the blowdown pipework from the sight glass, fit glass and gland nuts to the sight glass assembly, make the winch cable fairlead assembly, top for the oiler.  I also understand that to pass a steam test I need two means of getting water into the boiler, so will need some form of hand pump fitting in circuit with the standard boiler feed pump.

The pictures below show all bits I received.

Should be fun, but it will be a gradual back burner job.  Nice to get done before my old man pops his clogs just to prove I am capable of making things.  Not sure how long I've got, he is in good health but is 94.  Still occasionally uses his lathe but tends to be for wood turning or similar.  He still does marquetry to a high standard so I have a lot to live up to.  He worked for Cincinatti Milling Machines all his life the did a lot of jig and toolmaking after he retired.  Things have to be done properly.

Alan,

I'm glad as well,  although elder daughter did say "whats it do".  Her boyfriend will appreciate it if nothing else.

Regards,

Colin

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
That looks to be a fun challenge  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: You need to find all the 'special features' that the other builders have added  ::)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal