Author Topic: I ordered the prints today. Hodgson 9 cyl. radial.  (Read 9656 times)

Offline 1dbweldor

I ordered the prints today. Hodgson 9 cyl. radial.
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »
Gentlemen
 I ordered the prints and sent the check in today. Should be here Monday week. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I went out yesterday and run across some aluminum pieces. 6 pieces 2"x4"x18",4pieces 6"x24"x4 1/16" thick,1 piece 5 1/4"x20", and about 80 other pieces various sizes up to about 10" long. I hope this will be enough to get me started till the material for the cylinders and rings come in.

I went out in the shop today and turned out a cylinder to see if I had it to cut the fins. I used 02 and blanked a piece 2 1/16" and squared it, then bored it .998. I then set it up on an expanding sleeve arbor in centers and roughed it in what I can tell by looking at Steves pictures. I know the dimensions aren't right for one of these engines but I want to see if I can cut these cooling fins. I got it looking decent for 02 and then tried the fins. It didn't take long I figured I better grind a better insert. I ground an insert .031 1.5 degree relief, different coolant, then away I went. It didn't take long to get a system going with the feed and dial indicators then about an hour it looks like a cylinder. Deburred everything and went over to the pin fitter and final honed the bore. It comes in at 1.0000 all the way down. That should be close enough.

This made me realize I might be able to run with the big dogs on this project. By the way from what I have seen on the internet the cylinders are the only thing that I was questioning myself on and this turned out acceptable. I'll try to post a picture if ya'll want.

I want thank everybody for the pictures and information on here to get me going.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:33:43 AM by 1dbweldor »

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: I ordered the prints today.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »
What engine are we talking about? And yes! we all want pictures. We love pictures.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »
Nice db, that should be a big dose of confidence...and yes...pictures please.

Bill

Offline 1dbweldor

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »
Ok I'll try this again

The engine I am planning on building is Lee Hodgson's 9 cylinder radial.

This is the cylinder I machined today.

Let me know what you guys think........I'm tough I can take it.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »
Looks good! :ThumbsUp:....how do the dimensions look to you?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 1dbweldor

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »
The dimensions probably aren't even close to what the prints will call for. What I did to get an idea of the size of these parts and what it's going to take to machine, I looked through out several sites and read what I could find. Looking for clues of dimension I read 1 3/4"x just a little over 2". From there I cut some 02 1 3/4" round at 2 1/8", then squared it up on both ends and cut it to 2 1/16" in length.
 From there I figured the bore is 1", so I bored it out to .998. Then with an 1/8" wall I commence to cutting the skirt and the bottom of the flange. From there I went to the top and figured the diameter of the bottom plus 36 threads per inch divided into .866 and took this number to the top and cut back what looked right as far as the pictures I have been looking at. Then from there I figured the skirt diameter plus 1/8 inch on each side for the fins and cut it down to there.
 Once I got it blanked in I started to cutting the fins, once this was done I threaded the top. By the way on the threading I turned this part 300 rpm to thread the end.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 03:21:34 AM »
Lee's table was across the aisle from MEM at Cabin Fever. A beautiful engine and a formidable project.
Lee is a very interesting guy and extremely helpful. I'll be following the build
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
Having the excitement for the project is a good thing!   And Stan is very right, Lee's a good guy!    Have at it!   Mr. William's 9 is well along, and I'm sure he can comment on various sections...including the gear cutting!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline 1dbweldor

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:02:36 AM »
I received the prints on 5/30/14. I've been trying to get organized a little better before I start this project.
 I have a couple parts to finish in the lathe before I can start turning anyway. I hope to get to turning this weekend. I ordered the material for the pistons, cylinders, and the rings today, it should be in by this weekend.
 A question for the old pro's?
 For the 4-40 studs why wouldn't set screws work? I am open to all comments on this question so please let me know your thoughts.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
Do I hear the sound of the forums' m'aam typing furiously?

Hugh.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »
 :hellno:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
db,  I suppose that studs and nuts are easier to make than set screws.  Studs would be more in line with full size practice.       Ian S C

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
I'd make the studs....but that's just me.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
Apart from scaling full size practice, there can be a good reason for using studs rather bolts.  In aluminium, particularly cast aluminium, threads can be quite fragile.  Models are often subject to a lot of assembly and disassembly resulting in the female threads becoming worn.  The use of studs stops this and, if a stud becomes loose, it can be loctited in position without losing the ability to take the thing apart.

That's my rationale anyway.

Rod

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
I used socket head set screws for the studs on mine. You pretty much have to use a stud and nut assembly as there is little height to deal with a bolt with a head. You can purchase set screws with ball noses, and if you make a stud installer you can put these set screws in upside down for a really neat look. I just screwed mine in normally, though.
I finished an H-9 assembly/build thread about this time last year over on "the other" forum that might be of some interest as you get further into yours. I've currently got another thread going on over there on my own version of an 18 cylinder model which is nearing completion. You're in for a lot of interesting and rewarding work. Good Luck! - Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal