Author Topic: New addition for my work bench  (Read 6134 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
New addition for my work bench
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
Even though I keep my shop pretty clean, my work bench is always cluttered.  I just can't seem to keep it clear.  So, today I built a little addition.

This little work surface is above everything else and has room under it for a draw insert I bought from harbor freight.  I plan to put an edging around the work surface to keep small parts from rolling off.  Now if I can just keep this part cleared of clutter...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: New addition for my work bench
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
Nice but it's missing one important feature.  Put a lifter under the back edge so the top is tilted forward at a 45 degree angle.  That's the only way you're going to keep the surface uncluttered.

I have a small auxiliary two leg table that attaches to the front of my workbench.  When not in use the legs fold like a card table and it can be stood against the wall.  It's really handy when I need a bit of room.  However, its most important feature is the fact that it must be folded and put away in order to get my car in the garage.  This guarantees that it can never become another clutter depository.

[And before any of you smarties ask, yes, we keep both cars in the garage on a daily basis.  My shop fits around them in what I consider a Nobel-prize-worthy utilization of available space.]
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
good idea chuck......................will you build one for me????????????  :ROFL:

my first wife used to clean my work bench when she thought it needed cleaning.....................remember that was my first wife  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

chuck

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:16 AM »
I have a similar "work tote" set up on top of my roll around tool cabinet.   I roll the whole thing machine to machine.   It has a wooden tray with edges set into the top that I can remove and carry where ever, or empty....and yes it's tough to keep it clear of clutter....but when I do clear it off, it is very handy.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:46 AM »
That is a neat idea, Chuck.  I would have to make a new one every few weeks and put it on top of the previous one.  Then I could just add extensions to the legs of my stool. I am incapable of cleaning.  Maybe I should just build a new shop.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »
Stuff deleted...

[And before any of you smarties ask, yes, we keep both cars in the garage on a daily basis.  My shop fits around them in what I consider a Nobel-prize-worthy utilization of available space.]

Yeah, Marv, I keep our two cars in the garage as well.  My garage is called a two and a half car and I have about 5 extra feet on one side and 5 extra feet in front, so, as you say, my shop fits around the front and the side.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »
Very good idea Chuck, and Marv as well.

Unfortunately, I only have fixed benches in my hovel and have nowhere I can put items like that on top surfaces or onto the wall.

This is one of my solutions for a major problem of mine, where to put my plans while I am working on a project.

A slide away plan table, 3ft 6" wide by 2ft deep, under the workbench top. It only takes up about 3" of height, with about 1.5" clearance on top, and plans plus small components can be put on there and slid away very easily when finished with.

The little monster in the background is Turpin, Bandits' replacement.
Bandit is now getting a little old, and prefers to dream of bones and young female dogs rather than helping me in my shop.

John

Offline grayone

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
 I decided to by one of those fancy wall mounted rails for my drawings.  After fitting it found it was a foot too low :hammerbash:

Love man's best friend he looks just too cute  ;D

Graham
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal