Author Topic: Nigel From West London UK  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Ratchap

Re: Nigel From West London UK
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
at the moment i am just starting out in 2mm FS  but  yes the detail is amazing . however you can buy very little ( nothing) ready made  its all scratch build hence the late or from kits.
I wonder if any one could help with the thread size for the norfolk late chuck . I have a supplier who can possible help but needs the thread size.
what do you mean it wont fit  Get a bigger hammer

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Welcome Nigel!

Wot GailNM said!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »

I wonder if any one could help with the thread size for the norfolk late chuck .

The Adept/flexispeed had a 1/2" BSF thread. But that does not mean they did the same on the Norfolk you really need to measure it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
My Super Adept has 3/8 BSF thread for the chuck, seems there where a few different sizes.
                                                   Ian S C

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
Nigel, my Flexispeed, which is just about identical to the Norfolk, has a 1/2" BSF thread, and the register, just behind the threaded portion of the spindle, is a very neat .500 diameter. Try measuring that, using a thread gauge or a tap will identify the tpi. If the register is larger, it may be 14mm, which I think may be the Perris/Cowells version. Hugh.

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
think i will have to either  buy a selection of BSF nuts   or a thread guage

Many thanks folks

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »
2 sizes of nuts now ordered     just need to find a tool holder  the cross slide Tee slot  will take a 3/8th Bolt and suggestions  what  tool holder  or even compound cross slide to go for?

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 11:34:15 PM »
and a great bit of news  the chap who gave me the lathe originally has been in touch and has  dropped off the cross slide , 4 way tool post  a couple of  centers anddddd a nice 4 jaw chuck   lathe is now all put together  just need to  adjust the gibbs  and figure out a motor  I have got a 240 volt  .35 amp sewing machine motor  do people think its ok  failing that i have a hefty 1 HP  single phase motor

plus i need a DTI 

I have been watching  the Americans on you tube who seem to have  auctions and sales  all over  are there any thing like that in uk  or is it pot luck car boot sale

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:47:22 PM by Ratchap »

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
been a long time   since my last post   changed jobs    and  had  lots  happening   but  am now back  at the Simat 101   for its been confirmed  thats what it is. no luck any where with a a 1/2 inch BF  3 jaw chuck so i am going to ue the back plate    to mount a ER 32 collet  chuck

the chuck and a couple off collets are on order  a 4 step pully to  fit the motor is on order  should be here  tomorrow

I am thinking a round drive belt   and mounting the motor on anti vibration mounts to a board. plus the lathe too. luckily the motor  runs  the right was to keep it inside the lathes length.

I have a couple or projects to start me going  3 nice ally  controlwheels and a nicer clamping screw  for the top slide and tail stock.

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
after 7 years  of staticness  the lathe now  runs  just need the collet chuck to arrive

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Nice looking lathe Nigel. Just a suggestion ...you may want to start a new thread on this in the tooling and machines section if you wish to keep updating us on your progress. More will likely see it there than in this original introduction thread.

Bill

Offline Ratchap

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Bill  cunning suggestion  i will do so

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal