Author Topic: Hello from Gloucestershire UK  (Read 1733 times)

Offline nj111

Hello from Gloucestershire UK
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
Hi all,

I’m based in Gloucestershire UK, of early 60’s vintage and have always been interested in small IC builds.  At 16 yrs old I acquired a set of Castings for a Westbury Kiwi. At the time I had a Myford lathe and little else, and to be honest back then not enough skills.  After making a start the Kiwi got put on hold for many years, but it was largely completed about 15 yrs ago.  There are various photos of it’s construction on the late Ron’s excellent MEN site. I’ve built cam grinders, (2 to get one working right) a  spark eroder, converted an Orac lathe to modern standards and made countless tooling.  For the last 8 years I’ve built the extreme off road race truck you’ll see in my avatar. It’s  a huge truck on 40” tyres with an Alfa Romeo V6 engine which my daughter races.  Most parts were made including billet machined dry sump etc , not too much bought in – that’s why it took so long.
I’m a great fan of classic Alfa Romeos, in fact I’d love to build a scale Alfa motor one day.
During the last 30 years I have acquired far too many engineering machines, to the point where I would be embarrassed to list them here! None are new, they are all older machines (including a mix of older CNC) and all have come from factory closure sales.  Some of them are quite a decent size. Various CNC lathes and mills were bought as non runners but I’ve eventually sorted them without calling anyone in.  I hope to be a bit more active here in the future but I still have too many other commitments right now for a build. The next build will be a Whittle V8 which I’ve fancied making since the original articles were published over 20 years ago.  I reckon I’d better have a go at that whilst I can still see the all those tiny parts. (I hope I can). It’s great to be part of this friendly knowledge sharing community!  I’ve learnt so much from lurking here!  Thank you to all that have shared their knowledge, Nick
Nick

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Hello from Gloucestershire UK
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »
Hi, welcome aboard. Sounds like quite a workshop you have! Would love to see pics of course, but looking forward to seeing more from you on machining and engines. Cheers!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »
Hi and welcome Nick. Glad to have you aboard.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:35:52 AM »
Yes great to have you on board

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:53 AM »
Hi there, Nick, Welcome!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 07:18:20 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline John Roberts

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
Hello Nick,
I have just finished the Whittle V8. A challenging project due to its small size. All parts have to be made to size or there will be problems! Hope to find out if it works next week. Happy to help with any queries. There is a Whittle V8 forum but is not that active.

As for me I am thinking of making the Br2 Rotary from the Brackmore book. I am currently 3d cad modelling all the parts and finding many errors in the original drawings. I have some questions which I would like answering from anyone who has completed this model. So please if you are one of there people please help!

Good luck with the V8. Start with the crankshaft. That's the most stressful part to make!

John

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »
Hi Nick
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline nj111

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »
Thank you all!  With regard to the whittle I did draw every part in CAD some years ago from the original drawings in model engineer.this raised one or two questions for which I shall start a separate thread soon. Nick
Nick

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
Hello there, i am a near neighbour living in South Gloucestershire , Thornbury.
Regards
Trevorc

Offline nj111

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
Ideally located to visit the Bristol show!
Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal