Author Topic: Foredom tool post mounting setup  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Foredom tool post mounting setup
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »
I was thinking of mounting my Foredom to my lathe to drill and do some fluting with. So I started out with a piece of Aluminum and a discarded quick change tool post holder. The holder was used for a parting blade but it broke. So I did some clean up on it and made a chunk of aluminum fit it. I have some photos of the process below. I have the clamping bracket to mount the Foredom to the lathe bed and the Foredom hangs from the bracket.
This is a chunk of aluminum all squared up and ready for milling. It is 1.5" x2".

Cleaning up the discarded tool holder.

Milling the flat to match the flat on the toll post holder. I first marked center of the aluminum block and cutting it to give center height.

After drilling the mounting holes to attach the tool holder to i mounted it to the lathe, squared it and step drilled to 1" using the tail stock for support.

Slitting the slot after drilling out to 1".

Drilling the clamping screw holes and counter sink it.

The tool attachment ready to mount to tool post.

I took a few different photos of how it will be used. This one is for fluting and drilling.

This for drilling or grinding.

This photo is with the angle grinding attachment on it and can be used for grinding or drilling with a chuck installed.

I hope some of you find this thread useful and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Foredom tool post mounting setup
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:50 AM »
Very nice Don, that could open up a lot of possibilities for all sorts of things so I'm anxious to see what you do with it.  In that last picture what is the black thing on the  end of the foredom chuck? It looks like a right angle attachment of some sort. 

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »
Hi Bill, yes it has me excited. The attachment is for angle grinding and I have deburring bits and sanding disc to go on it. I will be getting a chuck to screw to the head also.

Don

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:58:39 AM »
I had no idea what you were talking about and had to google foredom chuck. Now I want one!
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »
That's awesome Don!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal