Author Topic: Old Navy Radar Jockey in Oil-tool Heaven  (Read 2558 times)

Offline old-and-broken

• Near Houston, TX
Old Navy Radar Jockey in Oil-tool Heaven
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
I've not been around for awhile, either here or work.  When I got back I found some new toys had been installed out in the shop.

First we have a very big, and L  O   N    G,  drill-bore machine.  I have no idea which oil tool it makes, but I know they don't use it to make standard drill pipes. :)

Then I found a little 25x96 manual lathe tucked in a corner behind all the usual run of the mill CNC machines.  It has a manufacturer I had never heard of.

And since I am jealous of the ceramic gage block set I just read about here, I'm going to see that 'gage set' and raise you a 'Super-Mic'.   >:D

It is so sensitive you can measure the temp change of a gage block as you set up the machine for a measurement.  The heat from your hand will warm the gage block when you first set it up to zero.  Leave it in place and walk away and come back 10-15 min. later, you find your zero has changed as the block cools off.   The meter movement allows readings of 1 millionth of an inch. 

The most common calibration is gage pins and several times a week we verify a master thread gage after we adjust a production thread gage with it.

30+ years as an electronics tech and I can't find a job paying enough to cover my bills.  This new metrology gig is a Godsend, but I'm racing hard to come up to speed in this new industry(to me).

Oh,yeah.  I still would like those ceramic gage blocks.  Maybe a trade.  I'm sure the company wouldn't miss one little tool.   :naughty:

Now that I'm getting around.  I seem to remember a project I embarked on several months back.  Have to get back to that real soon.   Thanks for looking.
A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: Old Navy Radar Jockey in Oil-tool Heaven
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »
Your shop must have landed a new job to justify all that new machinery.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:07:36 AM by stevehuckss396 »
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »
Those are some serious new toys Mark. I agree with Steve, they don't spend that kind of money on a whim...well maybe the Super-mic for calibration and such but not that loooong CNC. Thanks for sharing the pictures and hope the new gig works out well for you!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »
Dean Smith and Grace is a hell of a nice machine....You will soon understand why! :ThumbsUp:

Think Monarch quality......

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dsg/index.html

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal