Author Topic: SB 9 Rebuild  (Read 169604 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
SB 9 Rebuild
« on: July 28, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »
Hello

Well, this is the saga of my 9" Southbend model A long bed.   Man does this feel wierd starting again!

It started about a year and a half ago when a family member said he had this lathe and wanted to know if I would be interested in it?
Well....I had 4 lathes at the time...not all in running condition....so adding another one to the mix seemed dubious at best....however, the price was right...."come and get it out of my shop"....so...I figuired I'd at least fake interest and check it out.
Here's how I found her

Her serial number put her at October/November 1951.   She is a long bed with the large dial option...very sought after...and I know my eyes aren't getting any better...so going forward...a nice to have
She came with a collet set. drawbar. rack, lantern toolpost,motor and a pretty sad bench my family member had made.....that had to go!

I performed the tighten the saddle lock with the saddle in front of the headstock and then roll it back toward the tailstock test, and it didn't seem worn at all!   The flaking is still showing on the bed in most places....once I got underneath the scrunge....which was heavy
It appears to have spent some time in a automotive paint shop as there was several colors of overspray all over the lathe.....but seemed to look worse than it really was....it was pretty crusty!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:46:51 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: SB 9 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »
One of the first things I did was to come up with a plan for what I wanted it to be.
The SB is advantageous because parts are readily available for them.   Its the right size for small work, and there are lots of specialized accessories that can be purchased or made.

I decided I wanted the following
T slotted cross slide
tool post mounted drill spindle
tool post mounted milling spindle
Milling attachment
indexing head for the spindle
Steel base
3 jaw
4 jaw
faceplates
steadies
drill chucks
full collets
and QCTP.

I decided I wanted to use a AXA wedge toolpost so I could keep that in common with my Logan tooling.
One of the first parts I made was the T slotted cross slide,,,,,and I'll post on that next

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
One of the first things I noticed was the countershaft.   The bearings were clearly worn.   The bearing on this one is the cast iron of the housing, and the shaft was very worn.   I decided to bore the housing for oilite bearings, and make a new shaft.

I set up the casting on the shop made boring table for my Logan.  The boring bar started life as a piece of scrap from the lucky box.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
I know it's "starting over" yet again, but this is a good thread to have here, Dave.  It's a wonderful treatise on
scraping, and how to apply the techniques.   :ThumbsUp:
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Good to see this thread again.  It jogs a bit my grey cells.  I have to admit that I do not have patience to restore/refurbish an old machine but the way its done is still very educational (at least for me).

Will be following you Dave on your journey.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Glad to see this too.
One never knows what bargains you can run across and it's good to have some idea of what a good bargain looks like, how much work is needed, or what skills are required.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments!   I will be keeping this thread short If I can.   The focus of the forum is model engines...so in keeping with
Quickee Machine Modifications......I'll be keeping this one WAY under the 50 pages it was over at the other place.   I'll publish enough to keep it interesting...and you can follow it along until completion.

Just shorter....OK...?

Thanks!
Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi Dave, I hope we have been making progress on the Southbend.

Don

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
Hi Don,
Thanks for the interest and support!

I've picked up a few things for it....but not much lately.  I found a MINT lever action collet closer and a perfect Albrecht chuck for short money.   So I jumped on it

I'm nearing the point where I can send the bed out.   I have some expenses that I need to take care of....but it's close.

I'm counting on this being a winter scraping project...so the Wallaby is on the front burner...Work is nuts and there is so much to do with the boat....I may just pass on the boating season this year altogether....Not cheap keeping a steamboat going either!

I'm just kinda spread thin right now.    time and money wise   The wallaby is keeping busy and is less stressful to the resources and is an outlet for the mind.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
Sounds great Dave, mybe soon you will be making projects on it.

I finally got my lathe, I bought a Myford Super 7 from a member on the forum. Very good condition and I love the way it cuts and makes threads. Check out my motor modifcation thread.http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,544.0.html
 I just finished doing the adjustments and mods to it I also put a QC tool post on it.

Don

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:10:26 PM by Don1966 »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
Next week I'll be working on crating up my SB bed to be sent off to be ground in Illinois.   I will make arrangements.

I'll fill in the blanks from the first page...and bring it all up to date hopefully tomorrow.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 02:09:11 AM »
 :whoohoo: that is exciting! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets back.

Keep at it.

Mike O

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 02:10:18 AM »
Great Dave, glad to see you finally getting it done. I know you have been anxious to finish it.

Don

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 02:51:38 AM »
Here's the plan ....and the reason for the grind.

I am of the opinion that  a scraped bed allows grit in under the saddle.   Because of the oil pockets, or flaking , oil has a place to stay on the bed of the lathe.....this is great for holding oil!....but it also holds dirt and its a point of entry for grit.....it naturally sits down in the pocket with gravity's help.   This is a view taken by Forrest Addy....and others....and I think it's correct.

OK...additionally, if I scrape the bed, I'll need a master that is about 30" long...as a minimum....and a surface plate big enough to keep that straight edge in tune.   that's a big plate even across the diagonal!   I don't have room for that and for what I would spend getting a plate that size and buying/making a straight edge.....I could pay to have the bed ground....it will have a flat consistant surface for the wipers to bear against...and I can use the bed as a master to scrape in the saddle and tailtstock.   If I use a scraper blade with a tight radius...it will have all the oil pocketing I need....and I think it will be cleaner to boot.

That's the plan.... .....anyway.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:01:12 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 03:02:50 AM »
And to fund this....I'll be leaving my boat on the trailer this year and not bringing it to Lee's mills.   I'll go for a day or two...but ....time an money are the issue this year.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal