Author Topic: SB 9 Rebuild  (Read 169596 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: SB 9 Rebuild
« Reply #720 on: July 17, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
It's a 4  1/2' foot machine Simon.   If it's long and skinny.....you just might need two.

It came with the steadies....who am I to judge!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: SB 9 Rebuild epilogue
« Reply #721 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
I did a bit of digging on the original owner....though I can't pin it down exactly

I was able to find the second owner....I being the 4th .....

He got it from a tool and die shop which at one point in time in my town you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a tool and die shop.  The second owner has a heavy truck maintenance shop and he used this lathe to true starter and generator commutators. ...that dates when he used it!.... He remembered giving it to my brother about 15 or so years ago, and it was the best one!...he had 6!  It was bought at an public auction by the second owner from one of the aforementioned Tool and Die shops, though he named 2 possible auctions...the memory is pretty faded.   This may explain the weird painted numbers on the side of the gear guard when I got it...it had company in its original home.   He remembered it had a full set of collets though....I sent him a before and after picture...in the faint chance he gave a rat's backside....but ....interesting bit of history....I wish machines could talk.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #722 on: May 29, 2015, 03:32:06 AM »
Just a little update....it's been a while with "Samantha Bell"   About 2 years!    She's been doing yeoman work and everything I'd ever ask of her.

many a  part for RC racers and items at work have been made....

I have not had any issues, she does what she's told and very well...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2015, 03:54:46 AM »
Dave-

Reading your previous post, did you contact Grizzly?  For a modest fee they can tell you when and who it shipped to.  That's where you South Bend guys are lucky.  I would give anything to know the history of my Rivett.  There is something romantic about old machine tools and  the parts that they made.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #724 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
Actually I did....it showed that it was sold to a machine dealer...but no knows who that person was.   I know where it ended up...at least 4 owners previous....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #725 on: February 26, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »
Very nice restoration. Always great to see an old machine given a new lease of life.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #726 on: March 11, 2021, 12:53:06 AM »
I've got a tight tolerance bronze bushing I need to make.   20mm bore, 25mm OD   3.5" long, turned from solid....to do it, I need to hit the bore from one end....and it needs to be taper free.

Well   It's been a few years since I REALLY checked the lathe, so I dropped my MT3 test arbor in  ( 12" long...  .0003" TIR at the very end...nice piece!)

It showed .001" taper over 12"     hmmm....it's very even, and no changes...just one long taper...so it's probably bed twist....   I adjusted the SB bed twist adjuster on the right hand foot, and brought it in to less than .0003" in 12" total taper, and it's " linear"....ie   it changes uniformly from one end of the bar to the other.   That implies that the wear on the bed/saddle is negligible over the last 6 years since I finished the rebuild.....lathes wear the most right in front of the chuck, and I can't see any..  ( it was over 6 thou  when I started the rebuild)

Very satisfying.....

The bed twist adjustment is VERY sensitive.....and needs to be done with care....but.....

Can't wait to turn and bore some bronze!!!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #727 on: March 11, 2021, 12:59:03 AM »
Awesome Dave, I need to do some work on my lathe too. Got to any irons in the fire lately..

Don

Offline john mills

« Reply #728 on: March 11, 2021, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi
It looks like you have that sorted .we forget the important setting up for the early machines the modern
machines with much stiffer beds arn't quite so sensitive to setting up and lots of the beds now have hardened
ways and alloy materials don't wear as quick as the plain iron left soft.I have not long ago sean an 1930 machine with a 4 metre bed with had little noticeable wear near the head stock it would still turn parallel over a long distance  likely it was not used for lots of short parts.we forget the important levelling on some older machines.
         John

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: March 11, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
The lathe is good, and after the rebuild is exceptional.   But  as you state, some lathes are more flexable than others.   Southbends fall into that catagory.   But all lathes move around and should be releveled and check periodically.   
I can find no wear at all since the rebuild, but its real easy to put a twist in a bed...put a indicator on a piece of stock and righten and loosen the the drive belt    you will be amazed.
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2021, 02:23:50 AM »
Got up at 5 am this morning...and cut that bushing    20 x 24 x 81 long.......I can't measure a difference between the ends.....dead parallel....within a handful of tenths anyway.....very pleased....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ttrikalin

« Reply #731 on: March 18, 2021, 01:57:40 AM »
Hi Dave, hope all’s well with you and yours.

I just finished rereading this thread, a favorite of mine, after so many years away from the forum.

So many gems, excellent write up. I was sorry it ended after only 50 pages.

:happyreader:

Be well,

Tom in MA
take care,

tom in MA

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: March 18, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »
Hi Dave, hope all’s well with you and yours.

I just finished rereading this thread, a favorite of mine, after so many years away from the forum.

So many gems, excellent write up. I was sorry it ended after only 50 pages.

:happyreader:

Be well,

Tom in MA
Check your pm..
Damned ijjit!

Offline ttrikalin

« Reply #733 on: March 18, 2021, 11:55:15 PM »
Checked! Let’s Email for a weekend chat
take care,

tom in MA