Supporting > Tooling & Machines

SB 9 Rebuild

(1/147) > >>

steamer:
Hello

Well, this is the saga of my 9" Southbend model A long bed.   Man does this feel wierd starting again!

It started about a year and a half ago when a family member said he had this lathe and wanted to know if I would be interested in it?
Well....I had 4 lathes at the time...not all in running condition....so adding another one to the mix seemed dubious at best....however, the price was right...."come and get it out of my shop"....so...I figuired I'd at least fake interest and check it out.
Here's how I found her

Her serial number put her at October/November 1951.   She is a long bed with the large dial option...very sought after...and I know my eyes aren't getting any better...so going forward...a nice to have
She came with a collet set. drawbar. rack, lantern toolpost,motor and a pretty sad bench my family member had made.....that had to go!

I performed the tighten the saddle lock with the saddle in front of the headstock and then roll it back toward the tailstock test, and it didn't seem worn at all!   The flaking is still showing on the bed in most places....once I got underneath the scrunge....which was heavy
It appears to have spent some time in a automotive paint shop as there was several colors of overspray all over the lathe.....but seemed to look worse than it really was....it was pretty crusty!

steamer:
One of the first things I did was to come up with a plan for what I wanted it to be.
The SB is advantageous because parts are readily available for them.   Its the right size for small work, and there are lots of specialized accessories that can be purchased or made.

I decided I wanted the following
T slotted cross slide
tool post mounted drill spindle
tool post mounted milling spindle
Milling attachment
indexing head for the spindle
Steel base
3 jaw
4 jaw
faceplates
steadies
drill chucks
full collets
and QCTP.

I decided I wanted to use a AXA wedge toolpost so I could keep that in common with my Logan tooling.
One of the first parts I made was the T slotted cross slide,,,,,and I'll post on that next

Dave

steamer:
One of the first things I noticed was the countershaft.   The bearings were clearly worn.   The bearing on this one is the cast iron of the housing, and the shaft was very worn.   I decided to bore the housing for oilite bearings, and make a new shaft.

I set up the casting on the shop made boring table for my Logan.  The boring bar started life as a piece of scrap from the lucky box.

Dave

Dean W:
I know it's "starting over" yet again, but this is a good thread to have here, Dave.  It's a wonderful treatise on
scraping, and how to apply the techniques.   :ThumbsUp:

vcutajar:
Good to see this thread again.  It jogs a bit my grey cells.  I have to admit that I do not have patience to restore/refurbish an old machine but the way its done is still very educational (at least for me).

Will be following you Dave on your journey.

Vince

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version