Author Topic: Anvil in the making  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Anvil in the making
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:37:34 AM »
While waiting to buy the steel for the rotary table top I decided to finally make a start on a small anvil from a piece of railway line I have and been using. I thought it would be a way of killing time and give me a flat level surface as well. The pics show the lump as it was and how far I have got today. I have to go out for a function this afternoon so will continue with it Saturday
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline mzt

Re: Anvil in the making
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
I've had this same project in mind for months, but I do not have a piece of railway line yet.
I'll be following this thread.

Marcello
This is a fitting job,
not a production job that can be measured in.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
Pete, What machine and tooling did you use for the work on the top of that piece?
Thanks.
   ...Lew...

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »
Lew I used a face cutter with carbide tips on the mill (RF 30 clone) and it made easy work of it. All I need to do now is round off the horn and drill four bolt holes to hold it down. I used a cut off saw to trim it to size as I didn't want to wreck the blade on the band saw.
Pete
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:44:40 AM by Pete49 »
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:11 AM »
heres a follow on for those interested. I finished shaping the horn and now just need to drill holes in the feet. I have decided to run the face cutter or flycutter over it again to get a better finish on the table

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal