Author Topic: Slow cure epoxy  (Read 4394 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Slow cure epoxy
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »
Do you have any idea how long it takes for epoxy to cure after you have glued up an intricate assembly and you have carefully mixed up two equal parts of component A instead of 1 part A and 1 part B?

Let me assure you that it does NOT cure over night when using 5 minute epoxy with both components being clear.   :censored:
Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Slow cure epoxy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
Hi Gail,
I've done that kind of thing and have found that the best thing to do is to wipe off the goo, and to mix new epoxy (using both parts A and B :) ) and then try it again.

But then, I'm sure you knew this and were just adding to the levity of the morning :)

Good luck Gail!
Kim

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
Oh, easy enough to correct Kim.  Metal parts so a quick brushing down with an acetone bath cleaned it right up.

I normally use the black and white caps to identify the tubes and think of black and white printing to always start with the black first.  Late at night, in a hurry and an interruption all added up to deviating from my routine. No real harm done except to the shop dogs ears when I discovered it the next morning.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline mikessrc

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Check the minimum cure temperature specifications, specially in winter, if u dont want to end with to pieces and a sticky thing. In winter I never use epoxy if the temp is around 10º Celsius.

good luck

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
Oh, easy enough to correct Kim.  Metal parts so a quick brushing down with an acetone bath cleaned it right up.

Oh I wish Gail  ::)

I made this similar mistake several years back using two pack clear coat to fuel proof an aircraft

A genuine 'Friday afternoon' just before applying the clear....

And this on Monday morning after trying everything over the weekend to get it to kick off  :(

At first the clear went on well but I felt it could do with a little more. In the haste to get some more mixed before the first layer had kicked off I mixed the wrong amount of hardener  ::)

That was an awful lot of finishing work down the pan - disasters do happen but thankfully not that often  :D

Glad you recovered everything

Regards - Ramon

PS I have a feeling I might have shown this before - apologies if so.
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »
Ah, and then put the two caps back on the wrong tubes.  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:
Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal