Author Topic: CP-173 Boiler Build  (Read 10546 times)

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
Re: CP-173 Boiler Build
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »
(5b)
The female form (Photo 013) was also of 5/8" steel plate, bored, and radiused so as to form a generous fillet in the barrel-side flange.  This former was also left over from a previous boiler project and only needed minor ID modifications.  Frankly I don't recall how I originally rough-cut the center hole, but do recall there was little joy in it!  The copper blank (Photo 003) was annealed around the center opening and sandwiched between the two forms. (Photo 014)  At this point accurate aligning of the two formers and the copper blank became critical, the symmetry of the boiler depended upon it, and this was achieved using scribed register lines on the three pieces.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
(05c)  Finishing the Throat Sheet Forming

To begin forming, the male form is required as a backing plate to keep the copper blank flat while the inside flange is raised.  The inside flange is slowly raised by first picking up the copper edge by tapping in a thin bladed screwdriver.   Once a spot is raised I continued raising by tapping thin hardwood wedges under the copper, working them all around, followed by a thicker hardwood wedge.  I anneal again at this point and switch to seasoned Oak sticks with mitered ends which are hammered all around to raise the flange further.  (Photo 015)   Gradually the flange is raised and the process is repeated until the flange is fully layed over.   (Photo 016)  To finish forming the barrel flange I.D. I used a short piece of 2"+ diam mild steel bar placed inside the open hole as a hammering "dolly" and working around the opening I snugged the copper tight to the former hole.

To complete forming this head the male former was turned over and the outside flange was hammered in the usual way, annealing as necessary, using the female former as a backing plate, until the flange was fully layed over.  (Photo 017, 018, 019)  The formers were then used as jigs to hold the head for machining and the overall result was excellent and exactly what I was trying for.  (Photo 020)

PS - The final finish on the head pictured, as will be other copper surfaces, wasn't produced by pickling but by burnishing with a 3M Scotch-brite VF abrasive wheel.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:00:37 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Good couple of posts, lots of hammering evident, great result. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 11:09:44 PM »
My dream is to build a loco someday. Your threads and education is so helpful.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
Harry

Good to see you back!  I will follow along with interest.

Joe

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 10:58:33 PM »
I apologize to all those of you who are following this and have expected more sooner, and there will be more, but lately "Life" has gotten in the way and I'll resume as soon as time permits.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 12:49:28 AM »
Happens to all of us Harry. We will be here when you have the time and still admiring that boiler :)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »
Happens to all of us Harry. We will be here when you have the time and still admiring that boiler :)

Ditto.

I hope nothing serious and we see you soon.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal