Author Topic: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single  (Read 89642 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single
« Reply #345 on: May 08, 2017, 08:50:22 PM »
Great work on the build and I'm following. On the photobucket issue: I've noticed when I go from camera to computer to photobucket, it takes forever. However, when using the camera on my iPhone and the photobucket app, it happens effortlessly :shrug: :shrug:. If anyone having trouble has an iPhone, give it a try. Now, let's get this engine running  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

Cletus

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #346 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Cletus,
Does this mean I need to get rid of my flip phone that I can drop from 50 feet & get an I phone or smart phone? :lolb: :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »
Just an option for those that have one. I'd like to put mine on permanent mute and just use the camera and internet connection. To be honest, I really wish I just had that old wall phone in the hallway and nothing else  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2017, 12:33:40 AM »
Great work on the build and I'm following. On the photobucket issue: I've noticed when I go from camera to computer to photobucket, it takes forever. However, when using the camera on my iPhone and the photobucket app, it happens effortlessly :shrug: :shrug: . If anyone having trouble has an iPhone, give it a try. Now, let's get this engine running  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

Cletus
Could the difference have anything to do with the file size from the camera vs the phone?

And yes, back to the engine!!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2017, 02:53:43 AM »
I had decided to go to a paid subscription but every time I went onto the photobucket website the security went open and I know enough not to type in secure information into their credit card field when the lock is open. It wouldn't give me a secure site so I guess I won't give them my money just yet.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2017, 03:26:56 AM »
Just an option for those that have one. I'd like to put mine on permanent mute and just use the camera and internet connection. To be honest, I really wish I just had that old wall phone in the hallway and nothing else  :lolb:

Cletus

Would that be the one that had the hand crank on it Eric?  :stickpoke:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »
Hi all,
I've got a piece of S7 for the starter drive, The one way bearings came from Boca Bearing. I have the lathe work done on the two flywheel parts of the drive finished, and have to set up the mill to drill and tap the holes and counter bore and drill the relief holes to mount the other. Then set up on the back side and drill the flywheel and a 45 degree hole on the starter base. So in other words all sorts of fun holes to drill, and tap 2-56. :ROFL: At least the holes aren't blind holes.
Art

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
That's great Art! I am curious to see how it all works out. I think you will be pleased with the starting system.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2017, 03:59:48 AM »
Hi everybody,
I haven't been sitting still, just moving with less urgency now that NAMES is done. So here is what I've got so far. I had an 1/8" dowel pin and used that to drive the starter base.

I drilled the holes #50 and tapped them 2-56 full depth of the tap. That doesn't show in the first photo but just in the second if you look close. I made the base drive thick enough that it brought the nut to the end of the crank threads.

The one way bearing will go in the nose of the part on the right. Hopefully I will relieve drill & counter bore the second part tomorrow and will have that ready to mount. I dropped of the drive part to be heat treated and will make the split clamp to hold it on the starter unit itself.

I've been pondering photo's I saw while looking for a carburetor. They had a line running from the intake to the crankcase. Did they use oil in the gas mix and let that lubricate the crankcase? :thinking: Any thoughts on that?
Art
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:28:06 PM by Art K »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
Hi all,
I finished drilling and counter boring for the 2-56 mounting screws. And It looks like this. The beer cap is for scale. :ROFL:

I don't like how massive it makes the nose. But part of that is due to the length of the crankshaft, part the flywheel didn't take this additional part in mind. Down the road I may make a new flywheel that I can drill and tap without the screws going through the pulley section. Save that for later when it runs and I'm bored and feel the need to improve it. :lolb:
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:44:01 PM by Art K »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
It seems that the heat treating outfit lost my part. Translated I understand that to mean it got sent out to the wrong shop and will make it's way back, In the meantime after the holiday weekend I will make another. I may get the original back before the replacement. I may end up rethinking the size of the one way bearing, wishing I'd gone with a smaller size. Still time to rethink that & change it.

Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »
Hi everyone,
After a lot of nothing to report. I realized after putting indicators on the lifters that the cam timing was not right. Also no compression. I took the head off and lapped the valves with baking soda, think I heard that trick here. Changed the head gasket, still no running engine, as there was no spark. Called Roy at S/S and he told me some things to check for trouble shooting. One of the main things was moving the ground from the motor mount bolt to the cam cover bolt. Wouldn't start last night so I gave up on it. As usual I think and come up with the solution later. Went out this morning leaned out the carb idle mixture and had a pop. Moved everything outside and fiddled some more. The video is actually the second run, no camera.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_7WpV4fvkE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_7WpV4fvkE</a>
So far it seems to run well, much hotter than my Upshur single. I have some tinkering to do. One of the changes I did was to give up on the splash lube idea as when I did it just spewed oil everywhere. I went to the gas/oil mix from the Stihl chainsaw & weedeater. This counts on blow bye to lube the bottom end. The fuel line running the crankcase ventilation to the intake doesn't stay on when warm. Gave up trying to run it because the starter motor battery is on the battery charger. :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :cartwheel: there it is, the happy dance....
Art
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:35:12 AM by Art K »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
Viewed it on Yoytube and it sounds and looks great.
Thomas

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
Thanks, Thomas!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #359 on: July 05, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »
Congrats Art!

She sounds great!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal