Author Topic: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single  (Read 89689 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »
Nice looking engine mounts?
Good to see you back working on the Val project.

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2017, 02:47:22 AM »
Hi,
I did some more work on the cover clamps but discovered that my local hardware store doesn't have the screws I need. They are rather small (.71 long) L shaped with a hole down the back of the part. I put in an order from micro fasteners for 2-56 X 1 shcs. I only need two unless I drop one. :ROFL: I've still got some work to do on the mill but it is working. There is an update that allows it to work with the new capabilities of the spindle but I haven't been able to get them working yet. But it does work and that is a plus after having it down for a month.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »
Hi everyone,
I had an email from John at Tormach it was a configuration program for Mach3 to update for the spindle drive update. I loaded it and it seems to work great. Has the proper spindle rpm & everything. I have a friend who offered to help me with making a base (out of walnut no less, the real brown stuff). :ROFL: But I've come to the realization that I don't have time. So now I'm thinking about what I can mount it to in the meantime. Then there's the gas cap, mounting bracket for the gas tank..... :insane:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
Hi,
I've been on vacation for the last week. But thanks to Phil and his Maker 717 I did get something accomplished. I now have a start on the base. It will be bare bones & not overly fancy. I drilled the holes on it to mount the motor mount brackets and the gas tank. I'm planning to get rubber pads for the corners to keep it up off the table. I'm planning to mount everything on the top due to lack of room underneath. Unfortunately I discovered that I don't have clearance for the 10-32 nuts and will have to do the same treatment as the cylinder head bolts to mount the block to the motor mount brackets. Not hard just unexpected.  :ShakeHead: I also used (for the first time) the timing device with the LED light and sound used to time the engine. I found that A my magnet is backwards and B it is to far away so I will need to make a little spacer to move the rotor outwards about .080" and press out the magnet and flip it over. The plan is to have it running by the NAMES show and I still think it's manageable. Stand by for further updates with photos otherwise we all know it didn't happen :ROFL:

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »
Art,
Glad we could help and good luck at the NAMES show

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:11 AM »
Hi,
Ok here's the promised photo.

I've never used Corian before so when I say I was going to mount the rubber legs by running a screw into it like it was wood. You'll be going  :ShakeHead: :facepalm2: I've decided to mount the things on the corner and have the nut showing on the top, plan B. I installed the studs and loctited them in and did the same with the motor mount bolt as I did the cylinder head bolts minus the 600 degree loctite. Does anyone have a clue what these cylinder head bolts should be torqued down to? On the Uphure I just tried to keep them even.
Art
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:14:02 AM by Art K »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #336 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:25 AM »
Looks my-t-fine Art.  Hope she runs well

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2017, 04:04:32 AM »
Phil,
Thanks, I still have to figure how to mount everything on top in site, not insurmountable but just makes a guy :thinking:. I'd like to put some sort of cover over the batteries but I haven't come up with any ideas yet, I'd rather not make something. :noidea:
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #338 on: April 20, 2017, 03:54:48 AM »
Ok there is progress but no happy dance. :headscratch: I haven't figured out the problem. Sorted out some things like not having the coil grounded ect. May have to bring it along not running.

Here is the end result, everything is mounted. Feel like I spent most of the free hours in the last few weeks in the shop. No I'm not intentionally ignoring the rest of the model engine world, just focused. See some of you at the NAMES show.
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:04:18 PM by Art K »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »
Hi everyone,
This is the post Names update. After getting some advice from Steve Huck at the show I have begun to rethink how I start my engines. I purchased a RC engine starter and some one way bearings. This has meant redesigning the flywheel.

First is this part I'm calling the starter base. It has a hole for a pin on the back side that will mate with a matching hole in the flywheel. This will allow the nut and lock washer a home.

This starter drive will mount on top of the previous part. The recessed area on the back will mount over the flywheel retraining nut and the one way bearing will be a slight press fit in the front bore. This allows me to remove the starter drive to remove the flywheel. It all seems complicated but this is the best solution I could think of. I am hesitant to turn the bore for the bearing till I have it in hand. More when I have it. By the way photobucket was a SOB when I tried to upload these screen shots, has anyone else had this problem?
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:20:56 PM by Art K »

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »
usually photo bucket is good. maybe you hit it at a busy time.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:46 AM »
I've been having trouble with Photobucket for the last 10 days or so. I have a paid subscription, but it seems they have added a bunch of advertising that is screwing up the way Photobucket works.---Brian

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2017, 04:49:54 AM »
I've been having trouble with Photobucket for the last 10 days or so. I have a paid subscription, but it seems they have added a bunch of advertising that is screwing up the way Photobucket works.---Brian

Brian, I had that same problem a few months ago. All of a sudden it was acting like I no longer had a paid subscription and was getting ads like you describe. Sent them an e-mail about it. They sent one back saying "sorry about that" and they put me back on a paid subscription again. Don't know if that's your issue......but it might be.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #343 on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:21 AM »
If getting rid of the advertisements is as easy as that I may go ahead and pay the fee.
Art

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #344 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
If getting rid of the advertisements is as easy as that I may go ahead and pay the fee.
Art

It sped it up quite a bit for me as well.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal