Author Topic: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single  (Read 89635 times)

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
Re: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
Looks good Art!  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
I'm curious how the constant level fuel tank is going to work out. I'm very intrigued...

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:15 AM »
Phil, Don & Yogi,
Thanks for your interest. Phil like you I was trying to find some way to have a constant fuel level. While searching the internet I came across this diagram.
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/user_files/36340.gif
I'm sure there's a convenient way to just post the picture but you all have internet so I won't bother. I still need to do some more work on this but I'm hoping it turns out as planned.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2017, 02:27:52 AM »
I've done a little more on the gas tank. I still need to make a lid, do some more cleaning up and checking to make sure it doesn't leak.

Here are the results so far. I still need to drill a hole for the vent tube and solder that in. More later.
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:29:01 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2017, 02:45:07 AM »
Very nice art! Going to polish it nice and shiny?
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2017, 03:05:01 AM »
Steve,
I will at least clean it up better, assuming it doesn't leak. I'm not really equipped to polish.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2017, 03:16:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
I must admit that it has been a frustrating past couple weeks. I have been working on the motor mount brackets. I recently updated to Sprutcam 10, and surprisingly enough part programs that checked out ok in 7 don't work in 10. So I have been modifying programs so that they do. Only they don't work in reality. (play the tune from "The Twilight Zone" here) I have also learned what a 5/32" endmill won't rough out. A double endmill's worth of :wallbang: :Mad: :cussing: So I finally had to add a 1/4" as a first roughing and the other 5/32 double endmill as a second roughing and my undersize 1/8 or.109"as a finish cut of .020". Also set the feed rates agonizingly slow, I think I got to used to aluminum. Don't ask me why I have two 5/32 double endmills couse I couldn't tell you, but right now I'm glad I do.

As you can see in the photo I got about half way through the second pocket and everything went south. Having as I do an early Tormach 1100 series I, the VFD bit the dust. This was all with the third operation on the part. First was the holes, which I used to mount it for the second operation, the OD portion. I then used pre drilled holes to clamp on the outside edge staying carefully away from the center pockets.
Sooooo...... this is where it all sits till I get the spindle VFD upgrade in place. :hammerbash: :killcomputer: :toilet_claw: Love some of these emoji's now have an excuse to unleash them.
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:31:26 PM by Art K »

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
Sorry to hear the machine died.

Do you spray lube on the tool while you are cutting?  I spray WD40 while cutting and typically cut at 30 ipm with a 1/8 endmill.  Without lube I can only cut maybe 5-8 ipm.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
Steve,
I was using flood coolant, 7 IPM broke the endmill, to small I guess, 5 was all right.
Art

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
Art,
Thanks for the progress report.  I'll be sharing your adventures with the guy who's going to help getting CNC into our makerspace

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #309 on: February 22, 2017, 01:13:57 AM »
Art,
Thanks for the progress report.  I'll be sharing your adventures with the guy who's going to help getting CNC into our makerspace

Cheers,
Phil

I'm surprised. Usually you can smoke through brass pretty fast. Oh well, things are turning out good for you anyway.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #310 on: February 22, 2017, 01:33:13 AM »
Hi Art

What was your RPM and depth of cut? Leaded brass (360) should cut fine dry; but if you push it too hard I guess you know what happens.
I would only leave .005" for a finish cut.

Sorry for your frustrations but I can certainly sympathize with you.
Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #311 on: February 22, 2017, 02:53:14 AM »
Dave & Steve,
To be honest I don't know what type of brass it is other than yellow. The website I use for feeds & speeds gave me numbers approaching rapid G0 type of move that I figured couldn't be right so I knocked it down especially after drilling really dulled my drill. I was actually doing S4000 F7 in the big triangular area, center bottom roughing it out on the second take when it snapped the .156"cutter. Then I added a 1/4 EM as a rougher to clean out the bigger portion of the pocket, used the same 5/32" to finish roughing out the corners. The intention was to use the .109 to do the finish cut at S4500 F5. The outside part I machined while holding the part by the six holes with 1/4-20 SHCS. I roughed it at S3000 F8 & finished S3500 F5 with two 1/2 endmills. I figured I would tumble it at work and if it still looks gnarly I'd clean it up with the flycutter and then tumble it again. To be honest I thought I was being quite conservative till the cutter snapped.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #312 on: March 01, 2017, 03:25:48 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am here to tell you there is absolutely no progress. It is probably just as well that I waited until now to post because Friday I think I'd have been spitting fire. :Mad: :cussing: :hammerbash: :killcomputer: Like this, and I'll throw this in for good measure. :toilet_claw: I usually work four 10 hour days. That gives me time to do things I can't do after 4:30 in the afternoon. Or start on the next step on Val as it may be. Well the short of it is that the VFD update kit I was going to go and pick up at Tormach is now only available online. Discovered after driving out to get it. This meant that I then had to go home and try to figure out their incomprehensible online purchasing system. Nothing is clear and straight forward.  I was only able to figure it out after getting someone from sales on the phone, who then ran me through the whole process step by step. I am used to buying things online where every step is clear. Add to cart, affirm purchases, give shipping address, means of shipping, payment info and poof its on its way. To get my order processed Friday I needed it done before NOON. I finally got off the phone with my purchase ordered at 2:00 just in time to fly to a 2:20 appointment. Purchases processed after noon are processed and shipped on the next business day. I realize that had I not been just around the corner I would have to purchase stuff on line like everyone else, but it's hard to shell out money for shipping when I practically live next door. And shell out $200 for a core charge on a part I could have handed to them and watch as they throw it into the rotary file. I can at least drop off the core and not have to pay shipping to return the old VFD;. There was the day a long time ago that the only person who could get me so mad was " my dear departed Dad". The worst part of the whole thing, is that if I knew they no longer shipped things out of Waunakee I'd have ordered it on Monday or Tuesday last week, and would have the d$%#m parts already and the mounting bracket done and the mill cleared for the next job. Does it show that I'm still hot under the collar about this whole deal? :Mad: So some time later this week I should get a 12 pound package from Tormach, Milwaukee. Sorry if it seems like I just vented again but then again, you never heard this from me before.
Art

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #313 on: March 01, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
Hi Art,
 My deepest sympathys! I feel your pain!

Getting older allows us to become grumpies! Isn't great when some pimple @@@@@ youth thinks he's improving things, but fails miserably!

Sounds like it's  :DrinkPint: or two time!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
Hi everyone,
Now there is progress. After calling yesterday leaving my name, phone # and question. They got back to me 3hours later, in the middle of lunch. The short of it is that the new VDF arrived UPS today, the cooling fan kit is on back order. I will install it Friday. One of the changes to the overall setup will be undoing one of the GFI circuits.
Art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal