Author Topic: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single  (Read 89685 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:46 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks, I tried to post more last night but was getting an error message only with MEM. So here's what I would have posted last night. I finished up the linen phenolic spacers last night and they ended up like this.

Then after some assembly they looked like this.

The only problem is that my local source for 2-56 socket head cap screws doesn't have them 1/2 inch long, and the ones I used to hold down the spacer are slightly to long. Thus the slight droop on the carb. Only a slight setback. I was quite happy with the way everything turned out, including the gaskets. I did 5 gaskets in .010" PTFE and that leaves 2 extras.
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:35:31 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
Excellent looking engine.  Can't wait to hear it running

If it was me I'd just shorten the screws I had. I buy screws a hundred at at time wiht the longest length I can find with threads up to within,say, 1/8th in of the head and shorten them as needed. Saves having to have so many different lengths on hand.

Ron
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:25:57 PM by ozzie46 »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #287 on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:33 AM »
Ron,
It is good to hear from you. Thanks for your input. I have been going down to the neighborhood hardware store and getting screws. The problem is they have 1/4 & 3/8 shcs, and button head in up to 1/2". I don't feel comfortable using them because they have such a small allen wrench to tighten them. I will probably order some from micro fasteners. I can order 10 or 20 and for all I know that will be a lifetime supply of them (unless the shop gremlins get a hold of them). I will have to shorten them about .050" as is anyways.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:25 PM »
The insulator spacer and gaskets turned out great Art!
The spacer looks good installed on the engine.

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
Dave,
Thanks I just ordered some 2-56 X1/2 socket head cap screws from micro fasteners, then I can bolt it on for real.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2016, 05:18:38 AM »
Hi everyone,
Well I went through my stuff for the ignition and realized I have everything but the battery pack. :wallbang: I guess I'll have to give S/S a call and order one. I don't expect anything else to be accomplished due to holiday travels. I am looking forward to trying out the timing device I bought at the NAMES show a few years back.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:58 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am now getting around to re-posting what was lost the other day. I had set up and machined the the exhaust flange. Shown here with the tube.

Since then I had posed the ? of whether I can solder or must silver solder these joints. Thanks to those who answered me on the separate thread. I have bought some silver solder and now have completed all the necessary parts and now just need the time to finish that project.

Here Is what I did Friday & Saturday. I left the tube 2" long it seems long to me when everything is all together about 3 1/4 inches. I'm inclined to shorten it does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:40:40 PM by Art K »

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2017, 02:34:14 AM »
Its hard to say if it looks too long without seeing it bolted to the engine. Carb looks like its a long way out there also but again without seeing it complete it's hard to judge.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2017, 03:34:43 AM »
Nice work Art.  Are you making these parts on the Tormach by any chance?

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
Steve,
Yeah the muffler is sort of long, I could probably take off 1/2 an inch. And shorten the tube an inch and it would be shorter than the intake.
Phil, I did the hole pattern in the Tormach it made quick work of it.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
Hi everybody,
Ok here's the next installment, and Steve after matching things up I decided you were right so I shortened things up, much easier than making it longer.  :old: I took off an inch on the tube & shortened the muffler to .7" so the overall length is 1.5".

This isn't the greatest photo but shows it in it's rough form. I have to clean it up a bit. I left it slightly oversized so I could turn it down after brazing. I think it might be past my bedtime. :Lol:
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:43:20 PM by Art K »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:42 AM »
Hi,
I spent a little time in the shop cleaning up the muffler. I had left the od a little oversize so it would clean up nicely. I also turned down the silver solder cleaning up that a bit.

Funny thing with the silver solder I always seemed to end up with a blob where I first got it to melt, then flowed around the whole thing. It took a lot more heat than I expected. But I began to recognize when it was hot enough. Thanks for the tip JasonB maybe, about watching for the flux to melt, soon after that it melted the solder. Just who was the one who gave me that excellent advise is forever lost in the memory loss glitch. I brazed three of the flanges that I made and liked the second the most so used that one.
My back has been giving me problems and I think it is now time to get up and move around.
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:47:53 PM by Art K »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2017, 02:48:23 AM »
Hi,
I'm at it again. I've been working on the gas tank. I wanted to try to have an even amount of fuel from start to finish of the tank. So when I came across this chicken hopper design I thought I'd try it. As it works the top half of the tank is partially pressurized and holds most of the fuel. The long tube in both halves of the center section is the air vent tube. When the fuel level goes down it opens the bottom allowing air into the top, the fuel can then go through the main fuel line raising the fuel to the vent tube, closing it.

My wife when I showed her had a great idea, why not make the bottom section in one piece rather than making the bowl section with the fuel line outlet and then soldering on the yellow brass tube. Never thought of it. :facepalm:  To late to start over now. Here's a photo with the end cap the opposite way around so you can see how the fuel line will go on.

And here are all the finished parts together for a family photo. I did the center section & tubes with silver solder in hopes that when I solder the rest it won't melt itself apart.

When I get to the point of soldering I will need to drill another hole in the bottom tube to add in a vent tube. This sure makes the tank on the Upshur single look simple, enough for now
Art
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:52:44 PM by Art K »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Nicely done Art.  Good results on the silver soldering.   :ThumbsUp:

I'd been looking for a constant level fuel tank design to use for a vapor carby and this might do the trick.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
Excellent work Art and nice soldering skill. The tank and exhaust look great.... :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal