Author Topic: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single  (Read 89589 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Building Val a one cubic inch four stroke single
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Published in Model Engine Builder 15 & 16

http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuefifteen.htm

http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuesixteen.htm

Following along with this one as its quite a nice looking engine.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
I am following too. I've admired this engine since it appeared in MEB.

--Tim

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
What is the size of that bearing?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
6001-zz

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 04:16:30 AM »
Jo,
JasonB answered that question I believe If you go back to my opening notes it's based of Brian Fairey's build article in Model Engine Builder 15- 16. Everything else I'll get back to tomorrow after a nights sleep, and looking up the parts. thanks for your interest. Also Jo I am not familiar with GA what is that term?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
GA = General Arrangement.

Yes I know you mentioned that the engine was published Model Engine Builder but an outline drawing or a photo of someone else's engine at the beginning of a thread is nice to immediately let the readers have an idea of what someone is building and help the reader become involved  :ThumbsUp:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
OK, it just seemed like there was a 1mm difference, but 16001 (12x28x7) is not a common bearing size.

Greg

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
That might be where the error is, I said a 6001 not a 16001, the former is 8mm wide not 7mm like the 16001

The code and bearing sizes tally on the parts list.

Art what bearing have you used and did you leave the step in the 28mm bore so just the outer race touches?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:19:31 PM by Jasonb »

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
I don't know what size the prints call for. Getting a 16001 would not be all that easy and they are often 3-4 times the price of 6001. Some RC engines use this bearing so I have a few.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
Think I have sussed it out.

The drawing shows a 0.272" (7mm) recess for the bearing but the text says to bore a 0.314" recess (8mm) this would be the 1mm difference. Looks like the drawings may have been done first to suit the harder to get 7mm bearing and then the parts list and text altered to suit a popular 8mm bearing and the drawing revision was forgotten.

J

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
What prompted me to ask is that I found in smaller sizes, shielded or sealed bearings are often wider than the open version even though they share the same number. But with enough searching I was able to find the narrow typical open width in shielded or sealed versions. I thought this may have happened. This is not the case with 6001 and 6001-ZZ as they are the same width, but it did bring to mind 16001 which I have experience with. i design in metric and machine on an old Clausing so my prints are double dimensioned, so 1mm stuck right out.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
Hi all,
As called for in the bill of materials calls for I ordered from Boca Bearing the big end main is SMR16001-2RU the small end is R6, I now wish I'd got this one as a sealed bearing. The other bearings I bought at the same time but haven't used yet are the MR148 is the big end of the cam end of the crank and 3 MR105-2GS/W3PS2. These are 10mm OD and 5mm ID two for the cam one for the small end of the crank. The six bearings were about $47. I don't know if they are hard to get but Boca Bearing had them in stock.
 Ok I did a Google search for "Brian Fairey, VAL" and found this Photo of the completed engine at any rate it's not mine and I give credit to Brian.
So mine will look something like this, I have the head and cylinder changes drawn up in Alibre. I've added cooling and done the cooling Finn's in a 2"  square like the head, in aluminum with a cast iron liner. More on that when I get that far in the build.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: Thanks Art,

A picture is worth, as they say, is worth a thousand words  8)

Another Alibre user  8) which version? I suffered a  :zap: :killcomputer: recently and for the replacement machine (windows 8   :hellno:) got fobbed off with cubify, it does everything good old Alibre did but they managed to charge me again for it  >:(

Brian did the redesign of my Anzanis  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
Boca has just about everything you could ever want in bearings, 18USD though! I buy 6001-2RS for about 4-5USD locally and 16001 is 12-15USD and they have the same load rating.

Offline raym

• north California USA
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »

I was browsing this site and came across the Val thread.
I didn't know anyone else built one?
A picture of my effort is seen on 'readers engines' page in a later issue.

This is my first post after registering on this forum and it feels comfortable...
My name is Ray M and started this hobby in my garage some 20 years ago :old: after retirement. Am still
 at it (in same garage) and the Subaru still evicted to make room for the 9" South Bend and Grizly knee mill + misc.
My most recent builds are three of Leon Ridenour's Ford engines (two for the kids). I have built the Bob Shores engines, Upshure twin & t-head,Topsey Turvey and misc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal