Author Topic: Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923  (Read 48668 times)

Offline Rivergypsy

Re: Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »
Busy evenings fettling, but the condenser body is coming up a treat. Currently it's the inner lower corners of the columns that are getting some serious Dremel attention, but not long now until it's fitted  ;)

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
And nearly ready for filling - here's the columns blended in and the new lever bearing stands going on. I did cheat with these using 3M structural adhesive and hidden screws, but some stepped studs will hide those a treat ;D

Sorry, bad photos...  :facepalm:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
Gypsy...what a lovely engine with lots of possibilities for nice details as well. I looked at some of the other pictures also on the photobucket link. Even though you are still tweaking, the castings look very well done. Will definitely be following along on this one!!

Bill

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks, Bill - I'll be doing my best to do this justice :D

Well today, after quickly evening up the pump bosses on the rear face, I gave it a light bead blast to even out the emery / file work so it's now ready for filling and primer. the top face may be a bit of a sod to get flawless due to all the bosses, but we'll give it a shot. All in all though, for a first casting it's amazing, and future ones will be even easier to get right once Dennis has done the fine tuning.

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »
And finally fettled and ready for action. This took way longer than it should have done as my filling and sanding 'skills' aren't exactly the best in the world, and i usually end up putting way too much on and then spending hours sanding it back off. Still, it's there now, the bedplate filling is underway, so they go together for the first build in the very near future.  :whoohoo:

To try and learn from the entablature build where I started with temporary fasteners and then ended up with a bucket load of scale ones to make, this time I'm doing them as I go - not exciting, but better than the alternative. :hellno:

One of the jobs that does have to be done soon is to finish turn the crank pins, so there's a billet on order to make the fixturing for that...

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
Well it's happy days here for sure; the bedplate and condenser are in primer and assembled  :whoohoo: They do need final fettling with a few flaws showing in the paint, but for now I'm exceedingly happy.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
That's looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Still following along in the background.
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
As Roger already said, following quietly in the background at this extraordinary build report.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
Am I watching!?    Ya damb skippy I'm watching! :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

That is a mighty fine looking piece of work you have there! :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Many, many thanks everyone, and I'm glad you like how it's progressing. It never ceases to amaze me how this started four years ago with a little SW practise, so thanks to everyone involved.

There's a cunning plan evolving in the background for a base for this engine  :naughty:, inspired a lot by the Filer-Stowell plans that Dennis sent, and that's to build a section of ships hull mounted upon a teak base. It's partially freelance, and partially from various tugboat hull drawing, and the aim is that as well as the engine and thrust box, it'll also let detail such as barring gear, water intakes and bilge pumps be fitted. It's still very much work in progress, but I think coming on nicely. For mine what I'm working towards is a set of laser cut steel plates that can be riveted together with MS angle irons, and if all goes well Dennis may offer the option of a laser cut kit at extra cost once the castings are proven and on the market. There are trial bedplates coming off of the laser on Monday so we'll soon see how feasible the idea is.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
Filer-Stowell plans

Is that the Milwaukee WI, USA company Filer and Stowell? I knew they made a nifty oscillating cylinder logging locomotive and saw mill equipment but until I just checked I did not know about the marine engines they made. They also made Liberty ship engines.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
Hi Dan,

I'm not sure where they were based, but the plans are 1917 and for a 19-32-56x36" marine engine. If all goes to plan I will model them fully one day, which should be something VERY interesting...  :naughty:

Cheers
Dave

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
Right, the urge for some moving parts is getting too strong to ignore, so I've decided to bite the bullet and get the crankshaft finished (daft really when it was the 1st part I started to make...  :wallbang:) Here's the first part of the offset turning fixture which I've turned/milled from 4" ally bar - currently it's a lovely snug fit but I may also add some tapped cross holes for some M6 set screws for a little more security. Next off will be a tail support which will go on the mill shortly, then time to head towards the lathe and start praying for no mishaps...

Offline kvom

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
Curious why the cranks are offset 180 degrees vs 90.  Were these engines supposed to be self starting, or did they have a helper engine to start turning?

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
I'm not sure to be honest, KVOM, this stems from the original plans. But, we will be adding turning / barring gear in between the engine and thrust box, scaled from the Filer-Stowel plans  :naughty:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal