Author Topic: Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923  (Read 49219 times)

Offline Rivergypsy

Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Hi,

I just thought I'd kick off a build thread for one of my current builds, a compound condensing engine from plans in Model Engineer in 1923. This build has a bit of history, going back to December 2011, where having changed jobs and needing to practise Solidworks, I decided that modelling a steam engine from plans during my lunch breaks would be a fun way to learn. Working from the paper copy I gradually got them modelled and assembled, correcting errors where necessary, and then started the build.

I initially posted on the modelling and build in another forum (which I have subsequently become disillusion by) and during this time I got chatting to a Canadian ME, Peter Boa, and we've swapped far too many emails since then discussing both this engine, and steam & engineering in general. To cut a long story short though, he put me in touch with Dennis Howe of Historic Models & Reproductions (http://historicmodelsandreproductions.com/) who also had an interest in building this engine, and we came up with a deal where we would work together to bring this engine to production. I must stress that I have no financial interest here too, just a mutual desire to get this engine built correctly. As it stands at this moment in time Dennis has produced the first two castings, the bedplate and condenser, and patterns for the rest which will be going to the foundry shortly. I've machined one of each of the first test pieces and we're putting together a list of any remaining tweaks necessary to ensure future castings are absolutely 100% correct.

What we are also aiming to add are some true scale details which have been modelled from original Filer Stowell blueprints, such as barring gear, a water cooled white metal faced thrust box, and scale oiling system.

I've got more pics that I can shake a stick at here, but to get the ball rolling here's a few to get the build started - if anyone would like more then please do shout :)

Offline Rivergypsy

Re: Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
Hmm...ok, still no inserted pics :(

Can anyone let me know where I'm going wrong, please?

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
In photobucket if you click the little gearwheel icon that appears in the top right corner of the thumbnail image, there is one called "get links" I choose the bottom option and paste it into MEM using Ctrl V

Phil

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi Phil,

Many thanks! Here we go again....

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »
I just purchased Dennis' castings for the Joy valve engine, and they are first rate.  Those for this engine appear excellent as well.

I bought the plans for my engine separately in advance before deciding to buy the castings, and they were not inexpensive.  I then had the large paper drawings scanned to PDF to allow easier examination at the computer.

I think that if plans in digital form could be had cheaply, more people might decide to fork out for the castings.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
That's quite a substantial engine, Dave. Will be following along with interest (and maybe even tempted by castings one day!)  :popcorn:

Simon

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
I'll be pulling a chair up for this build as well.  :popcorn:
That looks like some impressive machining of the castings. The finish on the con rods looks first class. I would've liked to have seen  the machining sequence for them.
looking forward to future updates

peter

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Ah another great build to follow along with.

There are only a few reasons I visit the other place and your projects are a couple of them, good to see both of them here.

Dave

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
Hi KVOM,

I'll have a chat with Dennis about the digital copies, as he'll be dealing with the drawings alongside the castings, but i'll let you know. They do make life much easier from the CNC front too (ok, ok, I cheat a little  :naughty:)

Simon - go for it! We'll prove the first sets out before Dennis releases the kit though, as we don't want any errors.

Dave - many thanks! There's another couple in build too which i'll get done - a half scale, twin beam version of the ME beam, and a model of the Leavitt pumping engine from the Lawrence waterworks, but thats in a very early state in SW.

Peter - here goes :)

Roughing out the billets-

End caps in place (hollow dowels as well as bolts)

First profile on the Interact

90deg turn and second profile

Shaft turned (holding stub on the cap, and centred in the forked end)

Lower end profiled

Fettled, cap profiled

Oh, and the oil hole thru the shaft to allow a feed from the crosshead oiler

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Beautiful Engine!     Why the 180 crank?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »
Thanks, Dave!

Thats just what was in the plans - they can be downloaded from the Jon-tom(?) website. I've heard talk of the pros and cons of 180 cranks, and IIRC easy starting was one of the cons, but I like it ;D

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
If you like it that's the reason!....One of the many benefits of owning your own engine manufacturing concern! :ROFL:

I like the thrust bearing model!....very prototypical!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the photo essay. very informative. Although I don't think  I would have relished drilling that oil hole!

thanks

peter

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
Peter, it wasn't bad to be honest, just half from each side.

Dave, they're from original works drawings, complicated but we'll give it a shot. White metal lines, oil filled shoes and water cooling pipes in the sump. In SW it was an easy scale, in real life we'll see, lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal