Author Topic: Nemett Jaguar--Canadian Style  (Read 72470 times)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Nemett Jaguar--Canadian Style
« Reply #345 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
Dang, Brian  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Alan

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
-I thought about running the rings in dry. I was afraid to in case I scored the cast iron cylinder wall. My thoughts were that running the rings in with oil in the cylinder (sparkplug removed of course) would do the same thing, just take a lot longer. Now that I have the engine running, I am using straight unmixed gas in the engine. The lubrication is splash oiling from the sump. Running with straight gasoline will get rid of a lot of the oil film in the cylinder, and the rings should seat more in a relatively oil free environment. That little fan sucks up a lot of the engines power, preventing it from getting into a higher rev range than what you see in the last video posted. Right now the ratio between pulleys is 2:1 so the fan is being driven at twice the engine speed. The engine is running cool as a cucumber so I am going to try a 1" pulley on the fan, changing the ratio to 1.5:1, so the fan will run about 1 1/2 times faster than the engine and take some of the load off it to allow it to rev a bit higher.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:54 AM »
Brian:

Didn't think about it till I read this comment from you. I understand the compression gets behind the rings and pushes them out against the cylinder. If true they would wear in faster if the plug was left in place? Are there other problems doing this?

But if you have no compression, leaving the plug in doesn't little.

Congratulations getting the engine running, and running with CI rings. Nice looking engine.

Hugh

My thoughts were that running the rings in with oil in the cylinder (sparkplug removed of course) would do the same thing, just take a lot longer.
Hugh

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:56 AM »
Good stuff  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I'm glad you got there in the end  :cheers:

I'm of the same opinion as Hugh that some compression pressure is good to help bed in the rings. I would use a substitute for the spark plug though to avoid filling it will oil and then having to clean it. If you used a suitably sized push in wood or plastic plug it would then be blown out to announce that sufficient compression had been reached  :mischief:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
Alright!!!--This thread is officially finished. the engine runs, it runs reasonably well, and it runs with cast iron rings. The fan does keep the cylinder and head cool, after running 3 tanks of gas thru back to back at 20 minutes per tank. I never did solve the blow back thru the carburetor issue, and I think that is purely a factor of too much valve overlap at top dead center for this engine in a single cylinder configuration. I have found that yes, the Loctite does hold the cams to the cam shaft without slipping or coming unstuck, which is a really good thing to know. this is the first engine I have built which uses a jockey gear between the crankshaft gear and the camshaft gear, and that works fine. The ability to determine whether there is enough crankcase oil in the sump to keep the big end of the con rod lubricated by splash lubrication is a very "iffy" sort of thing. You have no access to it to put a drop of oil on it, and there really is no good way to check the oil level, that I have found. If you don't run water cooled cylinders nor a propeller, you will definitely have to fabricate some type of belt driven fan as I did, or this engine will run way too hot. I don't think I will try any more engines with cast iron rings. There is far too much screwing around involved, and even after 6 hours of continuous running, the engine had nowhere's near the compression it did with a Viton o-ring. It is a very pretty little engine, and I have used up May, June, and a damn good chunk of July to get to this point. Thank you so much to all of you who have followed this thread, I know it has gotten very long winded.----Brian

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Very well done Brian, we all appreciate your dedication
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
Thank you Brian, it has been an interesting and informative journey.

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal