Author Topic: A Cretors for my Dad  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
A Cretors for my Dad
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
Some of you may have seen this already and many of you may not have, so I would like to take this opportunity to once again present the Cretors Engine that I built for my Father's 80th birthday. The engine is a full scale replica of the engines used in the smaller street-vendor push carts as opposed to the  more familiar cross-slide engines in the larger wagons that were moved about by draft animals. It was built in a little less than a year using castings from Coles's Poewer Models featuring a 1.00" bore and 1.500" stroke powering a 7.00" flywheel.

BC1
Jim

Edited at Jim's request - Arnold
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:52:39 PM by arnoldb »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: A Cretors for my Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
That's downright exquisite!  A thing of beauty.  I love the pinstriping and the name band.  I'm betting your father was ecstatic.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Marv. Yes, Dad was 'busting his buttons' that day. One of the finer details that isn't shown, was the serial number that I stamped into the blank. It took him a couple of days to realize  :noidea: that the numbers on it were his birth date. "061718" (June 17th, 1918)

BC1
Jim

Offline jonesie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:26:32 PM »
 :cheers:very nice job jim and very nice  paint job. do you and your dad run it on  air or steam? first class job. jonesie

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Very nice. I'd like to be able to work at that scale some day. Have to wait a few years until I have space, time, and oh yeah...money.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
:cheers:very nice job jim and very nice  paint job. do you and your dad run it on  air or steam? first class job. jonesie

Hi Jonesie and thank you. Yes, this engine has run a total of two times in its lifetime. the first was right after I had everything assembled and aligned before stripping it down and painting and the second was about a week after I presented it to my Dad. I do not have a compressor large enough to run it (it is a real hog for air because it is double acting) and it is a bit stiff, but does chuff along merrily when it gets going. Dad was against the idea of running it in fear of damaging the paint, but I wanted to prove that it did run.

Very nice. I'd like to be able to work at that scale some day. Have to wait a few years until I have space, time, and oh yeah...money.

Thank you as well Carl, I have seen castings for a smaller version of this engine I believe in 1/2 scale somewhere and think that they are still available. And yes, you are so right about the $$$$, although this engine was reasonable at the time I thought.

Regards

BC1
Jim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
And yes, you are so right about the $$$$, although this engine was reasonable at the time I thought.

Want a whole new outlook on the expenses for our hobby?  Express them as a fraction of some traditional boy-toy such as a bass boat, an RTV or a Harley.  Oh yeah, that bandsaw is cheap; why it's only one tenth waverider.

Don't forget to include upkeep costs in your pricing.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
 :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: Jim, that's a BEAUTY !!!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Davyboy

• Merrill, Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »
Hi Jim,  a beautiful model, made even more special as a tribute to Dad.
Thanks for sharing.
Davyboy

chuck foster

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
wow now thats a birthday present.

i bet dad was over the moon when he saw that.
is your dad a model builder?

thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.

chuck

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »
Hi Jim,
Beautiful job on the engine. The paint and striping is first rate.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
Its a beauty Jim...mechanical artwork of the highest order!!  Thanks for sharing the pictures here.

Bill

Offline Ken I

• Cape Town, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Beautiful job Jim - I love the classic "feel" of the whole motor and its exquisite finishing details.

Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll start dropping major hints to my kids.

Ken
Never look up at the mountain - just keep digging !

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 01:22:57 AM »
Gentlemen, I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your appreciation of this engine. It was too large to be carried around and shown to folks at home, but Dad would make a point of showing it to his closest friends when they were visiting and word soon got around about it. Some of my close friends that Dad knew would drop in to visit with him in hopes of having a peek. I've had a few fellows that knew Dad come up to me and inquire what ever became of it so obviously it has made an impression on a few people. Here on MEM, I know that all of you understand what it takes to produce such an engine and I am extremely proud to have it showcased here for all to enjoy. Thank you all once again. :NotWorthy:

BC1
Jim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:04:10 AM by Bearcar1 »

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Marv. Yes, Dad was 'busting his buttons' that day. One of the finer details that isn't shown, was the serial number that I stamped into the blank. It took him a couple of days to realize  :noidea: that the numbers on it were his birth date. "061718" (June 17th, 1918)

BC1
Jim

Jim

That was so cute to use his birth date as the serial number. That would give it special meaning to him. I also loved the pin striping on it. You made a beautiful job on this engine.

Cheers  :cheers:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal