Author Topic: Anzani  (Read 38060 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Anzani
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 06:14:35 AM »
Hmmm, wonder how the firing sequence goes on a six cylinder radial...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »
Anzani 6 Cyl radial had a firing order of 165432
Pete
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:24:25 AM by metalmad »
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »
What was the balance problem with the Cheenery model?

Eric and Les tried for some time to sort his engine but it never ran right. I am hoping that by redrawing it in Alibre I might get a better idea of the problem.

Hi Pete  :Love: Don't you love these engines, The fan engine has a lovely old fashioned sound of "Da, Da Dum, Da, Da, Dum" from its firing order of 1-3-2. This all comes about because of the fact that there is 288 degrees between cylinder #1 and #3 firing, 144 to cylinder #2 and then another 288 degrees back to cylinder #1.

Decisions, decisions , I am trying to practise that rare commodity and only to ask Mike for the 3 cylinder radial castings  :noidea:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
What was the balance problem with the Cheenery model?

Eric and Les tried for some time to sort his engine but it never ran right. I am hoping that by redrawing it in Alibre I might get a better idea of the problem.

Let me buy Cubify design and join  the fun.I have some expirience from V2 engines.
The six cylinder Anzani looks like a two crankthrow double three cylinder engine.
It is thus not offending the rule that fourstroke radials have uneven cylinders (per throw)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
You are right on that the rear engine is 60 degrees out. But I have not yet acquired the drawings to understand the cam gearing.

Jo

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
Hi Jo
the single lobe Cam runs backwards at half the Crank speed which had crank pins at 180 degrees.
The simple Cam disk in the 6 CYL opened the alternate exhaust valves at 60 degrees of Cam rotation/120 degrees Crank rotation.
The 6 Cyl was basically two 3 cylinder Engines on the same crank.
The inherent balance problems of the 25 HP Engine were solved by the use of two heavy internal counter-weighted flywheels. The Eichinger Crank in Strictly IC seems to be heavily counterweighted as well.
Pete
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:20:02 AM by metalmad »
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
Thanks Pete, That's two of you now convincing me that I should buy both sets of castings  :LittleDevil:

There is always the risk that  :old: Mike might not be with us by the time I get around to making the three cylinder one, so I can't order the six cylinder one. And it is not as if they are eye wateringly expensive and I already seem to have a market for a spare one  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
Here is the real thing, a 6 cylinder Anzani at the Heritage Museum Omaka, near Blenheim. We visited the museum as part of our Airforce reunion.  The museum is largley funded by the film director Peter Jackson.  This is where his WW1 aircraft are kept.  Ian S C

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
Here's another link to some additional information and pictures of the Anzani 6 cylinder radial.  Includes a drawing of the crankcase and crankshaft.

http://jamesbrothersproject.com/engine/

Very intriguing engine.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »
Thanks Chuck  :ThumbsUp:

Guys ok I have taken the hint :facepalm: and enquired to Mike about both the three and six cylinder sets of castings. I won't get them before the next Old Warden meeting at the end of July.

I must try not to buy any more castings until after I have rehoused the odd orphan machine tool or two  :mischief: And it looks like I won't have any time to for that other opportunity that I had been promising myself  :-\.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:13 AM »
I've just been corrected it was Les' Aeronca Twin that had the minor balance problem not the Anzani. He never sorted it due to ill health.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »
The castings (both sets  :mischief:) are going to be delivered to the Guildford show for me.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Does that mean I may get to have a feel of them?  ;D

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
 :headscratch: You wouldn't let me have a fondle of yours last year :disappointed:.

Jo

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
Sorry if this is off topic; What got me into model engine building originally, was the sight of an Anzani W Triple engine in I think it was a Bleriot aeroplane. I thought, gee, wouldn't it be cool to build the plane and the engine and fly them R/C?
Wow, thank god I didn't pursue it much farther than contacting Les Chenery and getting some of his drawings and prices. The drawings are fabulous, and the prices for the casting set were OK. A sheet or two are hiding around here somewhere.
That would have been the all time greatest feat of idiocy for me. I was just a little bit more of a novice back then (15 years ago).
This is a perfect project for Jo. Can't wait to see it done. Right, Jo?
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal