Author Topic: Bottle Engine completted  (Read 7333 times)

Offline dnalot

Bottle Engine completted
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:10:53 AM »

I'm new to this site so I thought I would post my most recent "completed project" as an introduction and to contribute something to this site. Now I'm short on education and spelling eludes me so please excuse any miss-spells or wrong words. If you want to poke holes in my design, execution or shop practice go for it. It’s a learning experience.

I have admired the look of so called "bottle styled" steam engines for some time. So I decided to design something that was within my shops extensive capabilities and my limited experience. This is my second engine build so I had a little idea where I was going. The castings were made last summer (2013) and I built the engine during the winter.

Specifications
Steam Engine double acting
Bore 1.75" (4.45cm)
Stroke 2" (5.0cm)
Height 15" (38.03cm)
Flywheel Dia. 6" (15.2cm)
Aluminum Construction, Anodized

I used Rhino to develop the shape of the bottle, base and flywheel. Patterns were cut from pine on my homemade CNC router. I built the router 15 years ago and it is still the most important tool in my shop. I love it. I only made a half pattern and used it twice to make the full cavity mold.

My homemade furnace can melt 8 Lbs of aluminum in 20 Min from a cold start, runs on propane and is very efficient. I'm still learning how to cast and this project is my first try at using a core. It took several tries to overcome a problem with gasses from the core forming a bubble in the neck of the bottle. Third time was the charm. Casting is such a humbling process, so many failures. And rewarding.

Here are some photos of the bottle that I cast. I will post more on this engine as soon as I get the information organized.

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-FsHuod1U[/youtube1]

Mark T   
Some times it's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline DavidF

Re: Bottle Engine completted
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:24:38 AM »
Very nice, what cam program are you useing?

Offline dnalot

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
Very nice, what cam program are you useing?

Hi

An older version of Visual mill V5 professional

Mark T
Some times it's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
Very nice work.  :whoohoo:
Something else to aspire to!

Jon

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Now I know how you made it! Very nice  :ThumbsUp:

Simon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Very nice work!.... :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
Very impressive work. I had commented in one of your earlier posts as to how elegant that bottle engine looks too and it runs just as well. Nicely done on all counts!!

Bill

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
Looks really good, already wondered how you managed to machine that shape! Hope to be able to cast myself in the future too, seems like a real addition of possibilities.

Hope to see more of your work here.

Jeroen

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
Nicely done Mark, you should be proud of your accomplishment. I like............. :praise2:

Don

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
dnalot,

Nice job on the engine: Design and Execution.

I have to say that you have done well with your writeup as well. I used to work with a lot of people with advanced degrees who couldn't seem to get their thoughts expressed  so that any two readers got the same message. Nor could they write a simple sentence or explain a process in logical progression. You have done all that needs to be done: Short and Sweet and to the point.

Keep up the good work and keep posting. I think we're an understanding bunch and we can always ask questions.

--ShopShoe

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
Very nice looking and running engine.  Your photo documentation and explanations are excellent.

Now I'm short on education and spelling eludes me

What Shopshoe said.  I've seen horrible spelling and grammar from "highly educated" folks.  Higher education is often overrated.  Thanks for sharing your work with us.  I'm a fan of the bottle engine too :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline dnalot

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

On my first engine I made the crankshaft from assembled parts. It worked but there was little satisfaction in doing it that way. So on this engine I turned my crankshaft from a piece of bar stock. There were some exciting moments but in the end it turned out nicely I think. I martenized the exposed parts to help with corrosion and I nickel plated the counter weights for the same reason. It’s a very tight fit inside the bottle and the crankshaft assembly fits in there very snugly.

The flywheel was cast from aluminum and a nickel plated steel tire was added to give it some weight.

I started the head by casting a part but it was crappy to try and hold on to for machining so instead I machined the head from a 3" square block of aluminum. I sleeved the cylinder with bronze and I inlayed a bronze plate in the steam chest to provide better wear surfaces. Once all the interior work was completed I used the mill to rough out the exterior shape and used a spindle sander to make it all nice and smooth.

Now on most all of the bottle engines I looked at the valve rod assembly had a guide of some sort mounted to the bottles neck area. I chose to design a guide that attached to the steam chest to make it easier and I think more graceful looking. I went with a very close fit on the valve rod to avoid having to use stuffing and it worked rather well. The manifold for the steam inlet and exhaust was made from brass and nickel plated.

I fussed with several piston designs but the one that worked best is the one shown, with two o-rings. The o-ring tended to roll over when I used thin ones so I went with some rather plump rings.  Took some fussing to get the fit right but once that was done the engine turned over very smoothly.

I hate paint. To give my aluminum parts the look I wanted I polished and then gave them a short dip in a caustic solution to give them a satin finish. Then they went into the anodizing bucket. The flywheel took a second bath in some black die before they all went into a bucket of sealer.
A little assembly time and the next thing I know I'm looking around for a new project.

Mark T

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
Gad, what beautiful work!

I noticed that you take special care with finishes (and hate paint like many of us). You imply that you do your own anodizing. Do you do the nickel plating too?

Not to criticize but to make clear, did you Parkerize the crank (Martenizing seems to be something that dry cleaners do).

I'd certainly like to hear more about these finishing processes.

--Tim

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
Mark,
Nice castings and engine. Are the bearing blocks in the photo with the crank shown upside down so the hole is a bolt hole not an oil hole?

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline dnalot

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
I noticed that you take special care with finishes (and hate paint like many of us). You imply that you do your own anodizing. Do you do the nickel plating too?

Not to criticize but to make clear, did you Parkerize the crank (Martenizing seems to be something that dry cleaners do).

Sorry about that, yes Parkerized I have a terrible problem with word substitution. And yes I am doing my own plating. See http://www.caswellplating.com/ I have set up for nickel plating, and copper plating both flash and bright acid and I plan to add bronze plating soon. Great fun and its amazing what you can make a cheap piece of steel look like. I also have a number of pickling solutions to age metals.

Mark T

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal