Author Topic: Building GHT'S Small Rotary Table  (Read 15512 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Building GHT'S Small Rotary Table
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:57 AM »
This little project kit has been setting on the shelf for a while and since I am one to finish a project I felt the need to do so. I started last year making tools and this is the last of my kits of tools, so maybe I can get on with building engines next. Anyway this is my start at building GHT'S small rotary table and I am sure I will find some uses for it. This kit by the way is from Hemingway kits.
The first photo I set the base up in the four jaw chuck to face the recess and bring the back to dimension.

Then I flip it over and using the DTI to get it as true to center as possible.

Cutting the top and sides to dimensions.

After cutting to dimension I bored and reamed to .750" by the way I missed the top dimension by .009" and will have to compensate for that when I make the table.

Now it was time to use the mill to square the sides up and cut to dimension. I first had to find center using the coaxial indicator. Then it was a matter of cutting the two adjacent sides to dimension. This had to be done twice to get all four sides square and to dimension.

After squaring the final sides I drilled the four mounting holes .25".

Next was to cut the .5" slot to depth and drill  a hole. That completes the base.

In the process of making the pivot pin I failed to take photos, but in the process of making the pivot nut I had an opportunity to show using the use of the lathe back stop. A few photos of the back stop installed.

Back side

With the chuck screwed on back stop in place.

After facing off threading the pivot nut.

A trial fit of the pivot screw in the nut and a good fit.

I didn't have enough time to finish the pivot nut. That will be another day but a shot of what we have thus far.

Thanks for looking and I will continue when I get more time.

Don

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:43:04 AM by Don1966 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Building GHT'S Small Rotary Table
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:46 AM »
I have one in about the same state....been wrenching on race trucks too much lately....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:55 AM »
Nice work on the base and pivot there Don.  Thanks for sharing your build with us.
I'm looking forward to watching this come together.
You're going to have quite the set of tools here, and all hand made!  That's something to really be proud of!
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
Nice one Don, yet again no expenses spared you brought the castings  :naughty: me, being a cheap skate, made the base of mine out of two high quality pieces of rusty steel and silver soldered them together. 

:headscratch: Why do you have a round pivot nut, mine is hexagonal, there is just about space for the spanner. Devil to get the tension just right  :-\.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:55:11 AM »
Today was not a good day things just started going wrong from the start. The only thing good about today was my daughter's birthday and my grandson' ball game which I am just returning from.

Oh yes, by the was thanks Dave , Kim and Jo for looking and your support. Jo the drawing shows the nut round and a flat for a screw to tighten it up was set.

It started with the pivot nut which I had to throw away because the tap broke.
This is the pivot nut cutting the flat and drilling.

Next slitting the pivot nut for tapping which ended up %€#@&$.

So instead of making another right away I decided to start making the rotary table. Starting with a piece of round CI I chucked it into the four jaw chuck and cut it to its diameter.

Then I drilled and bored the .75" hole.

Test fit if the pivot pin and it's right on.

All is going well and cutting the under side recess in the table.

Cutting the side recess to depth and width and looking good. I have tuwo cutter profiles to make yet to finish the side recess which wii be V in shape when complete.

Now I decided to graduate the perimeter of the table and this is when it started going wrong. I started graduating and my phone kept ringing and I had to talk to three different people in between trying to graduate my table. The first go round things we not set up properly and I had to shave it off and start over. The second round with phone calls and all I missed one degree mark. Well in trying to save it I am attempting to make the marks longer to cover it up and will let you know when I return to it if I succeed.
The first photo is the setup for graduating.

This second photo was the second start at graduating.

That's it for today and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:25:41 AM »
Hey Don,
Those interruptions will get you every time!  That's when I make mistakes, when someone comes out to the shop and talks to me, or I get interrupted by something.  You lose count or get off by a 'turn of the crank' or whatever.

And to start the day with your pivot nut breaking.   :'(

But it happens. And you're taking it in stride.  You'll work it out, I'm confident.

Sorry today was such a downer.  Tomorrow will be better!
Kim

Online sco

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
Don keep at it - sure you have the skills and patience to overcome all trials and tribulations!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
Kim and Simon guys thanks for the words of encouragement and looking in. Well I worked out of town today so the time I got in was enough to make my two profile tools. And I need to correct about the V, it's not a V but a dovetail slot that the tools will be use to create.
A photo of the tool bits.

And I am reposting this photo and surprised no one could see the miss count.

Guys thanks for looking and the support.

Don
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:09:44 PM by Don1966 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
Looking good my brother!   Keep at it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
Maybe a bit of whiteout? Absolute bummer Don, nice work though. Hugh.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »
Hi Don

Looking good so far, as to the miscounted divisions, I've been there and done that... :hammerbash:
maybe just make the unit divisions the size of the "5"s, the "5"s the size of the "10"s and the "10"s
longer still?Might be less frustrating than turning them all off and starting over...

In any case, looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, Joe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
Thanks Dave, Hugh and Joe for looking and your support.
Joe it seems that I failed at recovering round two so I went to round three. I was counting to five and staring at five each fifth mark. Well this caused some confusion and I missed mark a ten for a five, so as you know I was way off. From then on I counted to ten and started the count over after.
After round three of graduations I had the marks right.   :cartwheel: Next came to staking of the numbers and that went Ok except for these Chinese number stamps. Not all numbers are dead center of the shank, so the number drifts as you stake. I did have one mishap with the numbers but I can live with that.
In this first photo I started the 20 degree dovetail cutting the left side with one of the form cutters.

Next I cut the right side of the dovetail with the second form cutter.

After completing the dovetail it was time to start staking the numbers.

I then flipped the table over and cut it to size and bored the .09375" x 875" recess for the pivot pin.

A look at the table after staking.

All the pieces so far. The table is not complete it still needs holes drilled for the handle in it's perimeter and the T slots need to be cut.

That's all for today and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
Looking good Don!  You recovered from that minor set back without even breaking a sweat!
Kim

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:15 AM »
Nice bit of kit you're putting together there, Don.  Makes my attempts at tooling look a bit amateurish!   :-[

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
I just dropped really luck with one of these, my wife spotted it in a junk shop and I bought it for £20.
It's really nicely made and has obviously been to an exhibition at some time in its life. It is all steel.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal