Author Topic: My other Hobby  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Fabrickator

My other Hobby
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
Before I was able to buy a bunch of machinery for metal working, I started out with wood.  Wood is an interesting medium to work with.  It very much has a mind of it's own so you have to finish it quickly because it moves so much.  These are a few of my wood turning projects, a few of which I won Blue Ribbons for at the county fair.
You can walk with a wooden leg, but you can't see with a glass eye.  Always wear eye protection!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: My other Hobby
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
That's some amazing work, I love the feel of wood  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
Hollow turning amazes me. My brother does bowls and hollow vessels. I watched him and still shake my head. He took some courses with David Ellsworth to refine his technique.
Beautiful work.
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »
Beautiful craftsmanship Rick. I like........ :praise2:

Don

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »
Outstanding work Rick. The wood grain in the hollow vessel is beautiful. With dedication like this you shouldn't have any trouble with metal.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
The first few years after I decided to become self employed, I took up wood turning, until I became allergic to some of the dust, Rimu (a NZ native tree) in particular. I then started working metal.  So I can appreciate some high class work.             Ian S C

Offline Fabrickator

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Thanks again for the kind words.  I'm afraid that my wood turning days have been few and far between lately with the installation of my mill on the lathe bed because I simply ran out of room.  I have done a few small  "work around" projects, but I've mostly been using it for polishing lately.  My ideal shop will have one side dedicated to wood and one side to metal, one for fab work and one to...well get in & out of! 
You can walk with a wooden leg, but you can't see with a glass eye.  Always wear eye protection!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal