Author Topic: Olympics Opening Ceremony  (Read 9939 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
I saw most of the opening, and enjoyed it. And will probably watch the closing as well. Pity about the 12 days in between.

Two words: Women's volleyball.  :cheers:

Three words: Bikinis, women's volleyball.

Los Angeles may be where idiocy was invented perfected but I live a five minute drive from the beach where they hold amateur tournaments all summer long.  My favorite bar has a verandah overlooking the beach.  Life is good.

A friend atteneded the women's vollyball on Saturday night it was getting a bit chilly and when the Ausi team came on wearing tracky bottoms to play in the got cat whistles:- mostly from their own suporters I may add, the Brits are far too sporting for that even though they were disapointed about the lack of leg on show.

:LittleDevil:  :Lol:  :LittleDevil:  :Lol:

Great show by the way.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
I enjoyed the opening Ceremony especially the inclusion of the industrial revolution but decided it went on far too late and at my age I need my beauty sleep so abandoned it just before the teams started marching.

I am now looking forward to the next two weeks in my workshop as I can't stand 24/7 sport or the constant repeats of anything which I may have otherwise found slightly interesting.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Talk about clueless, I think NBC must not have any help that knows ANYTHING about gymnastics on
the staff.  I watched the "women's" (girl kids) floor exercise last night. no scoring info but one or two
mentions of a number with no help on the reasons.  By the way what happened to the "perfect 10"
that Nadia Comenich (Sp?) in Canada ? The whole scoring system must have been changed since
I use to follow gymnastics. I saw numbers like 15.333 or such ?????   If the rest of "sports" events
are as screwed up as that I won't bother with any of it. :-(
   ...Lew...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Hi,
Not wanting to be left out here?s my bit:

Just watched a bit of the closing ceremony ? not sure which I thought was the worst, the opening or the closing.  :ThumbsDown:
The only other part of the Olympics I can?t stand is the synchronised swimming and  synchronised diving   :ShakeHead: ? I ask you what next  synchronised  hurdles what about synchronised  ?catching? the javelin.

Most of the events in between I enjoyed watching.  :) The opening and closing ceremonies  can be done away with  :hammerbash:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »
Oh come on!  Where else are you going to get Eric Idle lifted aloft by Indian dancers while singing  "life's a piece of shit, when you look at it..."

Bill

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Oh come on!  Where else are you going to get Eric Idle lifted aloft by Indian dancers while singing  "life's a piece of shit, when you look at it..."

Bill

I have to admit that was the highlight of the closing ceremony for me.   :cheers:

I actually enjoyed the opening ceremony, against all expectations, but the closing one was sadly lacking in talent except for the odd video clip of some no longer with us: John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, etc. and a 10 second medley of David Bowie classics  :-\

Mike.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
Just think.............only 4 more years before the TV networks and all the hangers on in committees various can say once more..................

LET THE GAINS BEGIN.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
My biggest regret is that there may now be something worth watching on TV again, 2 weeks of going without TV has helped my workshop time no end.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
You've got to admit though, GB, for it's size of population, really did very well for medals when compared to other countries with populations ten times as large.

One thing I have never seen before in any Olympics is how the crowds got behind the competitors, and not just the ones from their own countries, I think all the athletes and spectators enjoyed it immensely, which is what sport should be about, forget the money and just enjoy the taking part.

Dave H, how could you criticise the closing ceremony when you only saw the first tiny bit of it?
I started watching it as soon as I read your post, and I had about a further 1.5 hours at least of enjoyment.

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
All in all I thought it was a great Olympics...kudos to the UK not only for the performance of their athletes, but for staging a successful Olympiad without any significant security issues, despite all the hoopla about that prior to the opening. I watched it nightly (even though delayed) and though I enjoy some events more than others, it was all still a nice diversion from the usual summer rerun fair.  So as our Aussie members are fond of saying...."good onya!"

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »
All in all I thought it was a great Olympics...kudos to the UK not only for the performance of their athletes, but for staging a successful Olympiad without any significant security issues, despite all the hoopla about that prior to the opening. I watched it nightly (even though delayed) and though I enjoy some events more than others, it was all still a nice diversion from the usual summer rerun fair.

My sentiments exactly. Well said.

My only issue is Idle's 'Always look on the bright side'...

It's been in my head all day. My only recourse may be to play some Ozark Mountain Daredevils but I fear I'd be swapping one tune for another. Wouldn't help anyway. Wife has it stuck too and has been humming it all day. I'd just skip tracks again.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
It's just not right without the original scene from whence it cometh:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38</a>

It's just so damn cheery...

For life is quite absurd and death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin, give the audience a grin
Enjoy it it's your last chance anyhow
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
Drat. I just got the pause button to work then someone pressed play.
Thanks Marv.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal