Author Topic: Olympics Opening Ceremony  (Read 9941 times)

Bogstandard

Olympics Opening Ceremony
« on: July 28, 2012, 06:54:32 AM »
Did any of you watch the event? I got the whole four hours, even though I don't like watching the sporting events, no amateur status any more.

I thought the I.K.Brunel sequence for the industrial revolution was really superbly executed, and the finale of it, with the cast and forged together rings was outstanding. Everything had a good story to tell.

Although not up to the Bejing Olympics for pure size and effects, for such a small island, with only 60 million population, we did it rather well as far as I was concerned. At least we didn't have any mimed music or singing as has happened with few in the recent past, plus it also showed our weird sense of humour, Mr Bean being one of my favourite bits. We also got a glimpse of one of my favourite sportmen, Muhammad Ali, which, in all honesty, I don't think he will be at the next one, sad endings.

Let the games begin.

I just wish well for all competitors from around the world. As they say, it is not the winning, but the taking part in peace and friendship that counts.

John

Offline modeng2000

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
We watched all of the ceremony and thought most of it was excellent. However the Mr Bean sketch would have been better replaced with something else, our British humour is a bit weird at times but to throw a used tissue away like that was typical of what a lot of people do now and does not set a good example.

The chimney raising was very impressive and I haven't worked out how it was done. But most impressive of all was the way the Olympic beacon came together, totally unexpected and very ingenious, just like the inventions we have been capable of in the past.

John

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Yes, watched it all  and enjoyed it. Like Bogs, the highlights for me were the rings, QEII jump and cauldron. It seemed incredibly well organised and, to me, glitch free.

Well Done Danny Boyle*

I am/was interested in what the US contingent would make of it, when I checked the NY Times site last night, I discovered that NBC had not taken the event live (1 hour delay) and had inserted adverts and a motor-mouth commentary, much to the disgust of many bloggers.

*How much better to have a single creative mind than the embarrassing fiasco produced by the Millennium committee.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:59:47 AM by BillTodd »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
We watched all of the ceremony and thought most of it was excellent. However the Mr Bean sketch would have been better replaced with something else, our British humour is a bit weird at times but to throw a used tissue away like that was typical of what a lot of people do now and does not set a good example.

The chimney raising was very impressive and I haven't worked out how it was done. But most impressive of all was the way the Olympic beacon came together, totally unexpected and very ingenious, just like the inventions we have been capable of in the past.

John

Cloth tube collapsed into a container and hoisted up with a rope you could see the four strap and hook on one of them

still pretty good  as has been posted it was very British in content and humour , hope over seas commentators explained things as how many would have twigged on to IKB

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »
I watched it (on NBC) pretty impressive. Don't care for the "music". Was a little disturbed at the
Queens countenance, it had a "I'd rather be home in bed" sort of look.  She isn't that much older
than me. :-)
   ...lew...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
I watched it all and enjoyed it.

I've been to the U.K. many times (was in Wales recently when the runner came through) and have many friends from there due to my company having an office in Winnersh. Pretty familiar with the brand of humour and have watched Rowan from the early days as well as many other TV series. (Good Neighbors come foremost to my mind.)

I liked the theme...agriculture to the industrial age and on. I was impressed with the chimneys but don't forget the waterwheel. Proud heritage there.

I have to say though, I thought the bit with Bond and The Queen was a little inappropriate. As for Bean, also a little inappropriate...took away from a great tune and movie and too much attention on a particular individual.

I worried about Paul, somewhat in the vein (too much on the individual) but I thought it turned out well.

That's just me. Overall the opening was impressive and reminded people where many things started from.

The Olympics is a great program. It's good to remind people that the world is made up of many different, diverse, beautiful peoples and cultures and that yes...common ground for friendship and understanding can be found.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
The "Opening Ceremony" has turned into a competition, and I guess that's OK, but to me the best part is the Parade of Athletes.  It is so good to see the bright smiling faces of people from all around the world.  Young people at the peak of health, showing pride in themselves and their heritage and the joy of the circumstances.  It is going to be a great show for the next few weeks.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Yes, watched it all  and enjoyed it. Like Bogs, the highlights for me were the rings, QEII jump and cauldron. It seemed incredibly well organised and, to me, glitch free.

Well Done Danny Boyle*

I am/was interested in what the US contingent would make of it, when I checked the NY Times site last night, I discovered that NBC had not taken the event live (1 hour delay) and had inserted adverts and a motor-mouth commentary, much to the disgust of many bloggers.

*How much better to have a single creative mind than the embarrassing fiasco produced by the Millennium committee.

U.S. broadcasting companies have assumed for years that the audience is too stupid to understand sound and pictures and so hires people to repeat to us what was just said - as if hearing something twice makes it understandable when hearing it once does not.

They are also so full of themselves that they feel that a broadcast event is incomplete without their people being inserted into the middle of it.

Very sad.

Alan

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »
My wife and I watched it and enjoyed almost every part of it. Sure, some things were a bit silly but that's all part of the fun. We liked the James Bond part too. This was a good reminder of how much the U.K. has contributed to the developing world. Was that a steam engine I saw there? All the costume changes and the choreography must have taken an enormous amount of planning and practice and it paid off.

As for the delayed U.S. version with the advertisements, I would venture to say that a great many of us have migrated to Tivo or some sort of DVR and when it comes to viewing programs that contain commercials, they are just fleeting images that wisk by in a matter of seconds. Commercials are so obnoxious that when the opportunity presents itself to do away with them, people jump on it.

Didn't care much for the marching around the track afterwards with everybody filming everybody else. Too much talk, too little action. But really the only low point for us was when the rap artist came on. We are not big fans of rap which doesn't even resemble music nor does it take any talent.    :ShakeHead:

Oh, and Mr. Bean is a very funny fellow and was one of my favorite parts of the program.  I believe he qualifies as a national treasure and was rightly showcased.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:26:29 AM by Troutsqueezer »

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:50:38 AM »
We watched it down here as well and enjoyed what we saw. I did wonder what those bits of copper the person next to the flag bearer was carrying. It all came clear in the end as each team collaborated in the construction of the Olympic caldron, very symbolic.

It must have been time shifted in NZ but getting up at 7:00am on a Saturday morning isn't going to happen, Olympics or not. It was still going at midday Saturday, which would have been 1:00am in the UK and the tube would have stopped running by then. 80 thousand people stuck in East London on Friday night/Saturday morning would have been a problem. Apparently they removed 25mins of the ceremony so that didn't occur.

Has anybody any idea how Paul McCartney manages to be the the last act of everything? He must think he is so important now that he has it written in his contract or he isn't going to turn up. (edit; and he was crap)
Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
I saw most of the opening, and enjoyed it. And will probably watch the closing as well. Pity about the 12 days in between.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »
My sentiments exactly Tel.

At one time, even a sniff of non amateur status and you were out.
Nowadays, it seems, the more money you can pump into it, the more medals you win.

A sorry state of affairs for those small teams that even have trouble getting together their air fairs. Those are the people who still follow the Olympic dream.

Like everything else, and a reason I watch very little television nowadays, money has taken over everything, from pure raw ability to even singing and dancing, someone wants to make money off the backs of others.

Almost every sport or recreation activity has been taken over by big business trying to squeeze out another buck in profits or advertising.

John

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
I saw most of the opening, and enjoyed it. And will probably watch the closing as well. Pity about the 12 days in between.

Two words: Women's volleyball.  :cheers:

chuck foster

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
trout, you might be on to something here  :ROFL:

john i never watch pro sports anymore, nowadays if i need a sports fix i go to the local sports fields and see guys and girls that just love to play their respective sport.
there is some great moments and some very comical ones. i just watched a soccer game played by some very young kids and most of the time they didn't know what way to run and they scored on their own net. lots of fun.

chuck

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

Two words: Women's volleyball.  :cheers:

Three words: Bikinis, women's volleyball.

Los Angeles may be where idiocy was invented perfected but I live a five minute drive from the beach where they hold amateur tournaments all summer long.  My favorite bar has a verandah overlooking the beach.  Life is good.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal